Philadelphia - ISO 2 restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for two particular cuisines for a couple of meals during my trip coming up end of this week.

Can anyone suggest a good Italian restaurant, maybe dishes served family style even. Not a Michelin starred exclusive, impossible to get in restaurant, but somewhere with good food, happy customers atmosphere on the upper end of casual dress. Is there somewhere with a long history of old world Italian dishes?

The second place I'm searching for is a nice pub that serves a good full Irish or full English breakfast, bangers and mash, fish and chips. Real Italian and good pub grub is not available in the deep south, so we try to get it when we travel.

Staying in the convention center area but will take public transport or taxi if needed.
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Amy

It sounds like Ralph's might be good for your first choice. It's definitely got a long history of old world Italian dishes; it's the oldest Italian restaurant in the country. It is cash only and it's not always easy to get a seat, however.

Maggiano's, right by the convention center, is also red-gravy Italian, but a chain. Still, not bad food and they will do family style.

There are tons of other Italian places, particularly in South Philadelphia. Victor Cafe has opera singing waitstaff, for an added bonus.

I'll leave the pub recommendations up to somebody else, but you can get a full Irish breakfast at Fado on Locust St. all day, every day.
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Philadelphia has SOOOOOO many great Italian restaurants that it's hard to recommend a particular one. However, I would NOT recommend Maggiano's. As stated above it is a chain and their entrees are very mediocre.
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks schmerl and Amy! Both Ralph's and Victor sound like good options. We tend to have dinner early which helps with getting in at usually crowded places. Lunch is also an option for us if either of those places is open all day.
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Ralph's and Villa Di Roma are often mentioned together as two of the better known "old school" red gravy restaurants. I have not tried Ralph's but have gone to VDR and was pretty underwhelmed. Will you be driving? Parking in South Philly can be pretty difficult to find.

Suki, here on the board, recommends Le Virtu. It's close to the top of my list of places to try but it's also not walkable from CC.

If you want traditional Italian, you should skip the more well-known spots like Oesteria and Amis.
Hostaria Da Elio is recommended by those in the know over on Chowhound. It's on 3rd near South. Also near the river on Front St is Spasso Italian Grill. I had to find a restaurant that would take a group and was pleasantly surprised by the food. The grilled calamari was amazing.

Many of the restaurants in Philly are BYOB and some only take cash so you'll want to check on that. Have a great trip and let us know where you ended up.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 04:27 AM

Funny you mentioned Spasso. We were just there for the first time last week. Everyone in our group LOVED their meals and they all want to return. They too raved about the grilled calamari. I loved the escargot.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 04:55 AM

It's not what you'd expect, is it schmerl?
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Not driving but will gladly take public transport or a taxi if that's what's needed. In order of importance: good food, good atmosphere, not a tourist trap.

Thanks to all for the recs.
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to report back to say we went to Ralph's today for lunch, and both my sons and I agree our meal was absolutely delicious. We were the only non-locals in the place. Several large tables of birthday celebrations and a big baby shower going on in the back. Thanks for suggesting it - it fit the bill perfectly.

Hope to try Fado tomorrow!
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Amy

Yay! So glad that Ralph's worked for you...and that you have such a gorgeous weekend for weather. (Most of the week wasn't too great. )

Enjoy your time here.
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 06:47 PM

I'm glad you had a good meal. Keep us posted on the rest of the trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 04:03 AM

Birdie,
You are right. Spasso was an unexpected pleasure. Not only was the food superb, but the service was as well.