Ideas for a family trip

Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for a family trip

We are 7 siblings and siblings-in-law who take a trip together every couple of years. Our last 4 trips have been to the Outer Banks, Santa Fe, Costa Rica and Tuscany. Together or individually we have visited much of the US and every country of Western Europe except Greece, Finland and Iceland. We are lookig for ideas for our next trip. We are in our late 60s and early 70s and are in good condition, hike and walk, enjoy culture, good food and wine and like to have active periods as well as relaxation. Greece is a possibility.

We are getting together next week to discuss ideas for our next trip and I would like to go armed with a couple of suggestions. If anyone has some good ideas I would appreciate your input. Tnanks so much in advance.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:52 PM

Italy has lots of large villas outside the cities.
Ditto Spain.
I've done large-group expeditions to County Cork in Ireland and to the south of France.
The bigger the required accommodation (especially, at your age and mine, the need for ensuite toilets) the more likely you will be out in the country.
You probably know that the secret to success is allowing everyone to go their separate ways rather than requiring group activities. My gang gets together each night over a communal dinner.
If you can gather others you might even find a discount on a cruise.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that France, Spain and Italy are the best. That's why we have all been there so much and are looking for someplace we haven't been. In fact, I am spending 2 weeks in Paris in Sept/Oct - our 9th trip to France.

Please keep the ideas coming. Right now, our list includes Greece and British Columbia.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM

I'd consider Iceland and South Africa. Lots of good food and wine, interesting culture, and amazing hiking/walking. Sounds like you're coming from the USA and Iceland is a quick hop. I visited last year and can't wait to go back. Icelandair has great package deals.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:34 PM

Greek islands - I keep going back there in my mind We were visiting during the time of "unrest" - the islands were safe.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 12:01 PM

France, Italy, Spain very nice destinations but also there are good places for family vacations around Turkey, Greek Islands or Croatia. You can discover fantastic bays, harbours, islands with boat tours and most of boat has water toys onboard.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 12:02 AM

I reccommend you the seaside village Velika in Greece.

Last year my family and i visited this place and we had really a great time! It is a beautiful place not famous and touristic but very popular for local people.

It is located in eastern coast of Central Greece.

There, unfolds a coastline of 14 km with crystal clear water of Aegean Sea.

The beach is very organized with restaurants, taverns, shops and beach bars!

Furthermore it is an economic place, since it is not yet well known to tourists....

My family spent in the high season only 40 euro per night for a family fully equipped apartment of 4-5 persons exactly opposite the sea!
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 02:39 PM

Someone recently told me (but this should be verified) that this is a good time to visit Greece as the exchange rate is quite favorable for travel there.

Have you been to Turkey? We greatly enjoyed our trip there a few years ago.
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 08:20 AM

Definitely Greece! DD loved it and I'm dying to go there.