Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rennie Mackintosh's Glasgow School of Art Devasted by Fire.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like terrible damage has been done to this iconic building today. The blaze started in the basement around lunchtime and has ripped through from bottom to top destroying, amongst other things, the library. Fortunately it looks like there are no casualties and hopefully the fabric of the building can be restored but today is a sad day for the city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-27541883
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM

Thank you for sharing this -- but what terrible news. Like you, it is a great to hear the early reports of no injuries to people, but it is a gut wrencher none the less.

I take some hope in knowing, having recently visited Munich and having traveled through many war-destroyed and rebuilt places in Italy, that reconstruction to a fine detail is, in fact, possible. I hope all can and will be restored to the highest standard. This is a world heritage of great importance.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Having worked briefly (and part time) at the GSA this is awful news. But knowing Glasgow, the mourning will be brief and the reconstruction rapid and complete.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:31 PM

My street runs parallel to Renfrew Street and from my apartment and I have always loved being able to look over to the buildings and enjoy them. The wider spread of the art school's new Reid building did block much of my view but that didn’t matter as I pass both buildings every morning so I don’t feel deprived!

Coming home just before lunchtime I found the area being cordoned off and could see the smoke rising. At first I thought it was the Reid but could then see that it is was the original masterpiece. What was shocking was the speed of the fire moving up through it.

You know, living here I sometimes think that we take this city's treasures for granted and really shouldn’t. I saw people with tears in their eyes today as they watched the destruction and I'll admit to having a huge lump in my throat.

Some good news tonight though because the local fire service released a statement saying that the efforts today of the firefighters has saved this treasured building and many of the items it housed.

This will be an enormous restoration job but will be worth every penny.

Jon
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a big Art Nouveau fan, so this is terrible news. Glad to hear the firefighters did such a good job, though.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:27 PM

A School of Art that's a Work of Art
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:14 AM

It now appears that 90% of the structure and 70% of the contents have been saved. However many of the students have lost their course work which will be real blow to them.
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:19 AM

Terrible to see this on the news yesterday afternoon. It's been on our "to visit" list for ages and we almost visited while in Glasgow last weekend - but due to the setting up the final year's work only the mini-tours were available. Thankfully the news this morning is that the damage is not quite as bad as originally feared. Let's hope this amazing iconic building can be fully restored.
Old May 26th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Here is an update on what has been saved and what is lost by present estimate. There is link to a site where people can donate money to help with the restoration

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...ivists-salvage
Old May 26th, 2014, 04:52 PM

How devastating but glad some of it can be saved.