Giant's Causeway

Old May 8th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giant's Causeway

We will be in Dublin for the Penn State /U of Central Florida game in late August. We want to do a day trip to Belfast /Giant's Causeway - a whole day guided tour. Does anyone recommend I buy my tickets online now or just wait until I get to Dublin to buy tickets. We have been to Ireland before and will do another trip in the future so I know there are many other sites to see. We only have 1 free day to tour. Thanks
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:20 AM

That sounds like it would be a lot of hours on the bus. And I doubt driving yourself would make it much faster. Where did you find this guided tour? How many hours do they say it will take for the whole trip? How much time will you get in Belfast? How much time at Giant's Causeway? I guess you could see the Causeway in less than an hour, but Belfast is a big city.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:52 AM

I think OP is talking about this:
http://www.railtoursireland.com/trai...Causeway/dc10/
Train to Belfast -- Bus from there -- train back, from Belfast.
Departs Dublin Connolly at 7:35 and returns at 22:15.
109 Euro per Adult and 98 Euro for Students. Tariff for the Rope Bridge is 4.50 GBP additional.

If OP only has ONE free day and wants to see the Causeway then this long day is probably their best bet.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:57 AM

As to the Original Question -- You could wait and pre-book by phone the night before (to get a better grasp on the weather)-- BUT, If you KNOW that you wish to do the tour and only have one, SPECIFIC day available to do so, it would make sense to Pre-Book early.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:13 AM

The Causeway from Dublin is at least 10 hours, 8 of those polishing a bus seat.. Consider an overnight in Belfast and either as IC suggests take the bus or take a tour from there.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:20 AM

Itallian_Chauffer: Well, if it's that tour it looks like they aren't going to see anything in Belfast at all, except the train station. So if the actual goal is to see the Causeway, yes, it's probably ok, but still a long day.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:32 AM

Actually, it's right at 16.5 hours! About 4 of that on the train (2 hours in the morning and 2, at the end). The rest will be either on the bus, or at the TWO scheduled stops at Carrick-a-Rede and the Causeway (Probably 2 hours at the causeway and 1 at the Bridge)and a few minutes, in Belfast, as you transfer to the Bus. They do a 'Photo Stop' at Dunluce Castle, as well.
Still, if OP NEEDS to see the Causeway and only has ONE day . . .
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:11 PM

Belfast is definitely worth a visit in itself - for the tour of the Shankhill & Falls roads, and the Titanic exhibition.

Trains link Dublin Connolly with Belfast Central every couple of hours, with cheap fares from 14.99 euros, www.irishrail.ie

You can do an independent day trip from Belfast to the Giant's Causeway, any day, any date, no reservation or advance booking necessary, hourly departures more or less, so there's no need to do a 'tour'. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtEq...o7U3yKsgCkvP1A - and I have posted 'how to' details at http://www.seat61.com/NorthernIrelan...iants_Causeway
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Here was my actual itinery:
ITINERARY
6:30am
We depart from the Old Stone Church on Suffolk Street. We will be taking the M1 motorway through counties Meath and Louth before hitting the border into what we call the "six counties" i.e. part of Ireland that is administered by the United Kingdom. Our first stop will be a coffee stop in the border town of Newry, before we are back on the M1 again and in no time at all we will arrive in Belfast city to drop the Belfast tour off as we continue on our adventure up the North.

We take the coast road beginning at the port town of Larne. The North coastal route is famous worldwide for its beauty and in my opinion matches the Great Ocean Road in California and Victoria, Australia. Straddled along this road are quaint villages and dramatic cliffs that we are literally clinging to as we drive northward to the causeway.

12:20
And now for the highlight of the day and possibly your trip to Ireland; The Giants Causeway. We will be visiting the causeway for one and half hours also which will give you lots of time to explore this anomaly in geological terms. 40,000 hexagonal shaped rocks spread out like a road to the sea. Take a good walk and breathe in the clean ocean air.

14:00
Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge: This is our first official stop of the day and you will get to spend an hour and a half at this man made wonder over to a little rock out-drop. The rope bridge was originally used by salmon fishermen who would cast their nets under the rope bridge to trap the tasty creatures. Now, thousands of people each year walk across it holding their breaths! This is included in the price of the tour, and we are the only company to offer this. It is a 20 minute walk to the rope bridge from the car park so you have lots of time to spend taking in the beauty. In front of you will be Rathlin Island where Robert the Bruce spent some time before fighting the English in Scotland.

We will be stopping in the small village of Ballintoy for lunch in the Fullerton Arms. Great food and funny staff. This village is one of the prettiest in Ireland and has a fantastic view over the ocean on a good day all the way to the Orkney Islands.

After the causeway we will be doing a full circle back towards Belfast but before heading back we will take a stop at Dunluce Castle, home once upon a time to the McDonnell clan. Built on a cliff it is known as the most romantic castle in Ireland. We will stop for a photo stop here before returning to Belfast.

17:00

Arriving back in Belfast you will get to spend an hour here taking in the main city sights including City Hall, the Titanic Quarter and Donegal Square. We will be picking up the Belfast city tour from there and all making our way back to Dublin for arrival around the 8 clock region

I know it is not a way that many of you would want to spend the day but remember I plan on visiting Ireland again in a couple of years with my family (and not my drinking/football buddies). Basically, we just want to say we hit Belfast for at least a quick visit.
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Bean11, I say go for the tour if that's what you want. Hope it's a bright sunny day. When we were there, the weather was miserable and I could not wait to get back to the visitors center. The again, I am not the hardy sort.

You will find on this board that many posters have an absolute aversion to any kind of a tour, no matter its length or destination. They prefer to drive or take public transportation.

Enjoy and hope your team wins...
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:51 AM

Check the Tide Table and the weather forecast before booking

I am not opposed to local tours but there are better bases for a lot of the Dublin "day trips"
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:20 PM

Bean, do it because you will be with your buddies and will have a great time. I would book it in advance because it is going to be a hectic week. I tried looking for some info for some friends and everything was booked or double the normal price. I know a guy here in Fl that owns two Dublin apartments and they were snapped up as soon as the announcement was made. Go Penn State!
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

We booked our trip in November for the August trip so we locked in some decent prices for flights and hotel. We are fired up and ready to go now. It will be the first time in 28 years that I have been on a trip without my better half. I promised her and my daughter a future visit to Ireland. Thanks to all for your responses.