Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia hotel suggestion for sightseeing, please

Old May 8th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming to Philadelphia middle of June for 4-5 nights. I'd like suggestions for a hotel well-positioned for seeing the historic district sights and ideally $200/nt or below. I like a good B&B provided they have room with two beds as my adult son is traveling with me.

The most recent thread I find here is from a couple years back recommending the Holiday Inn at 4th and Arch. It appears it is now a Wyndam. Price is $169/nt. Is that still a good option?

All suggestions appreciated!
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:54 AM

I went to Kayak, punched in a random stay in the middle of June for five nights, and found over a dozen hotels within a mile of City Hall for under $200 a night -- including taxes and fees. Some are B&Bs, most are hotels. You can use Kayak to filter for just about any amenity you could ask for; and lodging review sites will tell you if a specific place will meet your needs. At the very least, you'll get opinions about a place from dozens of people instead of just one.

Note that mass transit to the tourist sites in Philly is excellent, even if the payment system is archaic. Thus, you can stay at 40th and Market and be at Independence Hall in a matter of minutes.
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the Holiday Inn Express at 13th and Walnut. You are just off Broad Street at that location and can walk to Rittenhouse Sq.

You are just off the the Gayborhood at that location as well and close to lots of shops and eating/drinking establishments.

There is also Loews Hotel, close to City Hall.

The Sofitel is probably too expensive, but check it out anyway. It is in a fabulous location in Rittenhouse Sq. Area.

I am a member of one of the original Quaker families who founded the city of Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania colony.

Welcome to the Quaker City,
Thin
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Amy

The former Holiday Inn at 4th and Arch is great for the historical/colonial section, but not as central to other great places like City Hall, the Reading Terminal Market, the Barnes/Rodin/Art Museum area, etc. But, as has been said, public transport is easy--plus Philadelphia is a very, very walkable city.

Have a wonderful time, and let us know if you need any suggestions for filling that time!

(Also a member of one of the original Quaker families, but with less aristocratic ties than Thin.)
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason for the aristocratic ties is because we married off our women to poor Hapsburgs and Braganzas.

An Archduchess of Austria and I are descended from the same dirt poor PENNSYLVANIA farmer.

My mother's mother was a coal miner's daughter from Wales.

Thin
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:55 PM

This is as close as you'll get to two Quakers fighting.
Old May 29th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Amy

Oh, not at all, Vincenzo! I adore Thin, and would never get into "humbler than thou" with a Friend. (Not to mention that the Quakerness is pretty much ancestral, not active.)

By the way, the Arch Street Meeting House is an interesting stop and quite near the Wyndham at 4th St.
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:53 PM

a pretty good site for Philadelphia hotels and other info is visitphillly.com

if you will have a car there are hotel deals that will give you free parking.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd report that we stayed at the Home2 Suites by Hilton at the corner of Arch and 12th, right next to the Convention Center and across the street from Reading Terminal Market. It was perfect for us in every way and quite convenient for both the subway and the bus.

Thanks to all who responded - your suggestions helped me choose a hotel that worked for us in both location and price. I highly recommend it to others.