Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe in July-August. Our flight from Australia will be most likely to Finland (I am a Finn), but possibly to Paris. From Paris we would go to Finland and from there we thought of going to UK and then back to France and our flight from Paris to Australia. We both like train travel (and will do as much train travel as possible). We need help/tips/suggestions/feasibility about train travel from Finland to Sweden, Denmark, France (Calais?) to UK and from there back to France and fly back home from Paris. Has anyone done a similar thing ?
We are flexible on all accounts except we have a maximum of two months.
Suggestions very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:15 AM

Helsinki

Take ferry to Stockholm - overnight and one of the most gorgeous boat rides in the world as it skirts a rocky archipelago much of the way and at night you can see the scenes very late at that time of year

Stockholm

Train to Copenhagen

If interested in Norway train to Oslo then Bergen, do the fantastic Norway in a Nushell loop from Bergen (one of the most awesome travel experiences I have had in Europe in decades of travel there - includes a boat ride on Norway's longest fjord (cn take boat from Norway to Copenhagen if want)

Train to Berlin

work way thru Germany

France

all easily done by train

Eurostar train Paris to London and back - buy a return ticket - www.eurostar.com for discounted tickets if you book really early!

If traveling on trains between those points look at some kind of railpasses that in those countries pretty much lets you hop any train anytime - passes give free passage on the Helsinki to Stockholm ferry as well.

For lots of great info on European trains check out these IMO superb sources: www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download their free and superb IMO online European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of rail-oriented itineraries in all those countries.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:31 AM

Paris-London: From £39, www.eurostar.com

London-Copenhagen by train or ferry, see www.seat61.com/Denmark

Copenhagen to Stockholm by train, see www.sj.se (any payment problems try www.acprail.com). Cheap fares from €20 if you pre-book.

Stockholm to Helsinki by overnight cruise ferry: www.vikingline.com or www.tallinksilja.com
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:58 AM

There are many airline alternatives which should allow you to fly into one European city and out of another to save both time and money. You don’t have to travel through the same European gateway to and from Australia. . Most search sites now offer “multi-destination” routes. Using www.itasoftware.com for information, and Sydney as your home base, I found fares from around $1800 to $2200 US. That might include flying into Helsinki to start with (Finnair sells the ticket although its partners run the long-distance legs of the journey.) For European internal flights, Norwegian is a large no-frills carrier with service out of Helsinki. Also compare Finnair etc., perhaps using www.skyscanner.com which is good for the budget airlines.
I agree that train rides are always more pleasant and scenic and you have plenty of time to enjoy them.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 06:44 AM

Check the map, you really cannot take a train from Helsinki to Stockholm. The ferry will be far quicker.

Do the open jaw suggestion Southam had above. Will make planning much easier.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM

With that much train travel previewed for a 2-month period look at the Eurail Flexipass - valid for X number days of 100% coverage to be sued on any days of your chosing in the 2-month period - need not be consecutive.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

We will be spending some time in Paris, but we are trying to stay flexible. Any ideas of accommodation with atmosphere? In an area with character. My husband likes classical jazz, moody violins. We prefer not the tourist hot spots. Thanks.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

And thank you all for your help. We certainly have a lot to research