Quito recommendations

Search

Quito recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quito recommendations

Would love to hear what folks like most about Quito. Are there any must see sights? Any favorite eating spots? Only have a day or two before heading into the highlands then Galapagos.nAlso any areas to avoid as I've heard there are some risky areas.
Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 02:30 AM

Assuming you are ok with the altitude, I would definitely take a ride on the Telefériqo, ( cable car) up the Volcán Pichincha for some great views of the city.

The old town is worth a visit especially on a Sunday when there is usually a lot going on. Easy to spend at least half a day there. Some amazing colonial architecture.

Some photos of Telefériqo and the old town on our blog ( entries 2&3)

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/6/tpod.html

We found Quito to be perfectly safe during the daytime although at night, the streets in both Mariscal and the old town tended to empty of people after about 9.00pm so it may be better to get an official taxi anywhere. Get your hotel or restaurant to phone for one for you rather than picking one off the street.

There are some amazing food stalls in Santa Clara market for traditional ecuadorian food if you are feeling adventurous. The food is generally both very good and very cheap. La Casa de mi abuela stands put as one of the better meals we had when there.

We weren't impressed with the "Mitad del Mundo" and I would definitely give that a miss if only there for a couple of days
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 02:37 PM

We just got back from Ecuador last night, and I'm planning to post a trip report in a few days time. We spent 6 nights in Quito, and enjoyed it. Lots to do and see there.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 12:06 PM

I liked taking the Hop On Hop Off bus for my first day, it give a nice orientation and makes a 1/2 hour stop at Panecillo (where the angel is). I think it's well worth doing, especially for your first day when walking around may tire you out.

I stayed both in the Old Town (a bit too close to Plaza Santo Domingo which is somewhat sketchy) but figured out the fairly safe route to walk to Plaza San Francisco where there is lots to see. La Compania is amazing (I was able to go to a free concert there one Friday or Saturday night). Sunday in Old Town when they close off some the streets is great. I also like La Ronda, although there are too many bars there are also some interesting traditional craft shops such as the hat maker and the tin man.

My favorite museum was the "Central Bank" museum, I really prefer old fashioned museums where objects are grouped my culture and era, great gold collection and I loved the little maquettes. The guard there was very nice and appreciated some American taking a lot of time to look around, and gave me a free mini tour of the gold collection to practice his English.

Also liked the Mindalae since I love costumes and crafts, although some seem to give it bad reviews.

Was less impressed with the new Casa de Alabado, can't really put my finger on it.

I found the prices in Quito at El Ejido park and the Indian markets just as good as in Otavalo, if you bargain.

I wasn't all that impressed with the Mariscal, at the end of my stay I was just out side it which I think was a bit quieter but within walking distance.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 10:33 AM

Stop spamming the forum with advertising. Not permitted.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 12:00 PM

For a restaurant in Quito, if you are near the JW Marriott, Cevicheria Manolo is okay.

The Mindalae museum had a cafe on the ground floor that was good for coffee and a snack. It seemed popular with locals for lunch, also.