Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the best places to visit Europe during March and April?

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Me and a friend are graduating college early and are looking to backpack through Europe during March and April of Spring 2015. Does anyone have any advice as to which places would be the most enjoyable this time of year? I don't mind mild cold weather and I love outdoorsy things!! Besides seeing museums, admiring buildings, I'd like to know of more exciting adventures we could do that won't cost us an arm and a leg. Thanks in advance for any input!! As of now, we are looking at Spain, Italy, Ireland, Germany, but are definitely open to other countries..
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 11:19 AM

For Spain, look up these festivals:

Las Fallas in Valencia
Semana Santa (Easter week) in Sevilla
Feria de Abril in Sevilla
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 11:20 AM

Spain and Italy are the more inexpensive of the places you listed and the weather will likely be more pleasant.

Also, you need to define "backpacking" as it means different things to different folks.

Also, you need to tell us how many days you have, exclusive of travel and your budget.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Ireland has 3 days of St Patrick's celebrations in various locations
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Spain and Italy will have better weather - except in the mountains at that time of year and are more budget friendly. Germany and Austria are also not too expensive but once you are north of the Alps the weather is likely to be colder and rainier.

Ireland is moderate all year, rains all year (but much is just mist or drizzle) and prices are moderate. But it is more difficult to get around by public transit - we found a car necessary outside of Dublin if you didn't want to be driven mad by extremely circuitous train routes.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 01:44 PM

Before Easter the Algarve in Portugal is very cheap (rates shoot up Easter week); it's also quiet tourist-wise then (till Easter). It's the prettiest time of the year there with so much in bloom, it tends to be sunny and in the '60's; lots of pretty hikes and tons of natural beauty.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 08:39 PM

If you're young and a bohemian, I would suggest you start in Munich on your way to Prague and Budapest.

The beer, the people, the sights--all incredible.

My friend's son did such a trip, and he started in Kiev. He was bowled over by the quality of the young ladies of that city. Well, forget the Ukraine this year.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:34 PM

<i>If you're young and a bohemian, I would suggest you start in Munich on your way to Prague and Budapest.</i>

This is an excellent suggestion. Except that I would say fly into Munich then go to Bamberg and start there. Because delicious Rauchbier and Klosterbier.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 03:05 AM

Since you've tagged Austria, I would like to recommend hiking and walking in the Alps. The Lake District is beautiful, Halstatt, Dachstein, Gosausee..you could go through my page here: http://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com/...ia-and-prague/
The higher Alps probably would have more snow.