Change in Turkish Visa Process

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new issue of International Travel News has a short note that effective April 14, 2014 Turkish visas will NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE AT THE AIRPORT OR AT BORDER CHECKPOINTS. It states that Turkey is going to an on-line application and payment process and will dispense "e-visas." The visa is e-mailed and the recipient must print the visa to show Immigration and Customs officials and carry it while in Turkey.

Information at www.evisa.gov.tr

I didn't realize the change was occurring so thought I would post this in case others didn't know either. So if you're going in early to Istanbul to catch a cruise - FYI
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 07:38 PM

You won't need a Turkish visa on a cruise if:
You don't get off the boat in Turkey.
You don't leave the port city.

Ciao
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 09:26 AM

Actually, the policy with regard to cruise passengers is a huge change. Previously, cruise passengers did not require a visa. Now they do if, for example, they take a tour to Ephesus from Izmir. So this really will put a monkey wrench into travel to Turkey. Patandhank: I'm so glad you posted this.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 07:47 PM

Actually, the new visa rules starts on April 10, 2014.

Those visiting a port of call in Turkey during their cruise do not require a visa in advance as long as the ship is in port for less than 72 hours, and passengers are only visiting the local area and returning to the ship on the same day.

Those who embark a cruise that originates in Turkey, or disembark a cruise that ends in Turkey, will require a visa in advance, regardless if they are only in transit to/from airport.

A full FAQ is available here:
https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 06:50 PM

I'd like to get some clarify on the issue of cruise passengers, because the e-visa web site does NOT give the details you have provided here. It says that you don't need a visa as long as you "stay in the port". While I realize that what you say is a reasonable policy and consistent with what is the case everywhere else in the world, I'm always concerned about these new policies and their real implications. We're going to look into this further and see what the Turkish tourism officials can tell us. When I know more, I'll report back here.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 08:29 PM

Doug, see link below.

"border authorities will maintain existing procedures for a certain transitional period, to include the 2014 tourism season."

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/visa.asp

Meaning if your cruise is this year, no worries and see how things works out.

The UK Celebrity web page states:

"Update for cruises departing on or after 10th April 2014

Guests who visit a port of call in Turkey during their cruise, will not need to obtain a visa in advance of the cruise, as long as the ship is not staying in port for longer than 72 hours and they are only visiting the local area and returning to the ship on the same day.

Guests who are boarding a cruise that starts in Turkey, or are disembarking a cruise that finishes in Turkey, MUST obtain a visa in advance of leaving home for their holiday."

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/ma...a-information/
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 03:44 PM

I received a reply today from an email that I sent to the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday. It was a quick turn around.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Passengers of cruise ships are allowed to enter and stay overnight in the port cities of Turkey upon permission given by local border police authorities. These passengers are not required to obtain an entry visa. However, if you wish to tour beyond your respective port city in Turkey, you will require an e-Visa.

Best wishes,
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey

Your question:
What is the new visa rule for cruise ship passengers visiting Kusidasi or Istanbul for only 1 day or 2 days and staying on board the ship overnight except for the short shore excursions?