Quiet Accommodations in Barcelona and Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some travelers can have a nice sleep on a bench in Time Square. We need a quiet environment... In order to start looking for accommodations in those two cities, I need to first sort out the more quiet, residential areas.

A list of those would be appreciated.

And if one cares to add the name of a nice, clean and inexpensive hotel (we're willing to consider B&B as well) in such area, I'd be obliged...
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 10:25 AM

Quiet isn't a word often used to describe Spain's major cities, but any quality hotel should be able to provide the quiet environment you're seeking.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 10:56 AM

I also think in a big city, this depends more on the location of your room in a hotel, most likely. I suppose there could be some quiet sidestreet, but in central Madrid, that isn't too likely IMO.

However, I will tell you that I've stayed at the Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin in Madrid and love it because it is a great location, but it is somewhat away from the major big streets. But, the main reason is that I get a room that overlooks an interior courtyard area rather than the street (if you got a room in that hotel overlooking the street, there would be some noise, also, even if it isn't the Gran Via or something like that). Some people want the balcony or outer natural light, but I'm not in th ehotel much in the daytime anyway and don't care. Their rooms that only overlook the interior atrium are very quiet.

It is very reasonably priced for a 4* hotel in Madrid, but not as cheap as a hostal which I think is what you mean by a B&B. None of the ones I know of in Madrid are in that quiet an area.

Of course if you really want a residential area, you can find it but it will be outside the center city and I don't think will be very convenient.

I could say the same thing for Barcelona. I have stayed in a couple hotels there I liked and the rooms were very quiet, but that's because I specified upper floor, not overlooking main street. They were 4* hotels, also, so even though I liked both, probably not want you want as they were not inexpensive.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 11:19 AM

hoetl pulitzer is walking distance to all the touristy things but it is tuck away in a small street that you don't feel the hustle and bustle of barcelona. its right next to hotel jazz. it serves a wonderful breakfast and the pool on the roof top (more like a big jacuzzi) is a welcome place to just hang out, grab a drink and enjoy the view. very reasonably prized.

for madrd, hotel alicia was our choice. again, central location and new hotel. close to Salamance district for people watching and shopping. wonderful am/afternoon/pm vibe.

enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far... Yes, the idea is to find a residential, side street, rather than on "Time Square"... We're prepared to pay around $150-175 for a double-room (end of August, Early Sept.).

I'll look into the hotels mentioned, but would appreciate more ideas, Barcelona, especially....

Thanks.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 03:53 PM

The quietest place I ever stayed in Madrid is the apartment offered by the Hotel Plaza Mayor.

http://www.loftplazamayor.com/

It is in a busy spot, but the unit itself is in the back of the building.

I also found the Hotel Vueling in Barcelona to be very quiet, even though it is on a major street. I fled to this new (March of last year) hotel from a bad Airbnb rental and I was SO happy there.

http://www.hotelvuelingbyhc.com

Both are at, or under, your budget.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 07:07 PM

End of August, early September is high season in Barcelona, but low season in Madrid because everyone who can has made their way to the beaches or mountains to get away from the heat.

If you go on booking.com and search for 1 & 2-star properties, something in your price range should pop up. You'll definitely need a place with good A/C.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 07:19 PM
kja

In Madrid, I stayed at the inexpensive and IMO very well-located Hotel Lope de Vega; it was, at the time, quiet. Nothing fancy, but quite serviceable. No guarantees about its current state, but it looks like it still gets decent reviews.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, rialtogrl. After some more research, I made a reservation at the Hotel Vueling, room only, no breakfast (adding $30 a day for breakfast seemed too high).

Still need to decide about Madrid.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 08:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
On a side street near La Sagrada Familia, Hispanos7Suizas, an apart hotel. Ask for a unit on the back side of the building. We also require
Quiet rooms and this was perfect. They are apts and 2BR/2Ba, kitchen, W/D with a hotel like front desk. We used it as a hotel and found it on Maribelsguides.com
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:02 AM

mamamia, I had coffee downstairs every morning for 2 euros. $30 is definitely too high. They have nice white wine in the bar too
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 10:29 AM

Hispanos7Suizas is hardly inexpensive and may be a bit out of their budget range. An apartment for two is running €220/night the last week of August, first week of September.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 12:32 PM

We also try for a quiet but central location (of course!) Barcelona - last May stayed 4 nights at The Urban Suites - a reasonably priced 1 bedroom apartment. This turned out to be a terrific location due to the excellent metro one block away, also a couple of blocks from Sants station for airport train connection and train to/from Madrid. Stayed apartment #212 and it was quiet. Here's some photos from our stay there: http://rebeccasnyder.com/gallery.htm...ccomodations/&
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

We changed our minds and rented a charming B&B in Barcelona for 4 nights. So now looking for a place in Madrid...

Question: what is the main (if there are more than one) train station in Madrid, from which we'll depart for some day trips? I'd rather find a quiet accommodation not too far from that station....
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Also, Rebeccah, I see you spent some time in Girona... I saw some photos and got really excited, but having a limited time in Spain, would you definitely suggest we stay overnight there? Isn't a day-trip enough there?
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 06:26 PM
kja

"what is the main ... train station in Madrid"

Atocha. The hotel I mentioned in my earlier post is within walking distance of Atocha, is across the street from El Prado, and is near some areas that are pleasant for dinners and/or drinks (e.g., Plaza de Santa Ana).

If this kind of information isn't covered in the guide book you are using, I would strongly urge you to get another.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes, kja, and thanks, I will definitely consider this one seriously...... Truth is, I have a good book, which I will read for general info about Spain, practical things and what to see, but as of now, more than 7 months before our trip, I spent 95% of my time online to decide where to stay....
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 08:23 AM

Although you could go on a day trip to Girona by train, I suggest just spending your 4 days/nights in Barcelona. There's so much to do there, it is a BEAUTIFUL city and getting around on the metro is quick and easy. You won't be bored.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 10:18 AM

Madrid has two "main stations", Atocha, for day-trips to Toledo, Aranjuez, Alcalá de Henares and Cuenca, and Madrid-Chamartín, for day-trips to Ávila, Segovia, El Escorial and Sigüenza (on the Medieval Train).

www.esmadrid.com/en/siguenza
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 10:46 AM

A couple of months ago, I stayed at the Hotel Ada Palace, right on Gran Via, which is a very busy street in central Madrid. I had a room facing the courtyard, which was very quiet. Even with the window open, I could barely hear the street noise. One evening during my visit, there was a protest on Gran Via, which I could just hear from my room with the window open. I went up to the roof terrace to see what was going on, and from up there, overlooking Gran Via, the protest was pretty loud, but not from my room.

I think the key will be to get a room that overlooks an interior courtyard as others have mentioned and you will be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -