Two Weeks in Uruguay in early March with kids

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Weeks in Uruguay in early March with kids

Hello All,

I will be in Uruguay the first two weeks in March (one month from now) with my husband and three kids who are 10,8 and 3. We are looking for an activity (vs just sight seeing).

Does anyone have any ideas? We are very open but some initial thoughts include surf camp, helping the sea turtles or whatever.

Also, which beaches/towns do you recommend for families that are more "quaint" vs. built up and crowded?

Thank you!

liz
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM

Horseback riding may be your best bet. Google estancias and Uruguay. You will find a bunch. March should see some reduced rates too.

You also can head east, towards Jose Ignacio and a bit further east, for miles and miles of pristine beaches, though the water can be chilly. Uruguay is a great country, very friendly people, safe and has good food. Have fun.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 02:06 AM

Hello Nagabro, nice that you have planed to visit my homecountry. What to do- depends on where you are.
My Country has a lot things to see, when you have eyes to see the small wonders besides the streets. We don t have any big adventures, we have the widest riverdelta worldwide, seems like a sea, but thats it with highsores.
Maybe also we have the kindest people worlswide.........
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Hi Liz

With regards to beach towns, La Paloma is a great place to base yourself and explore the coast of Rocha. Great variety of beaches, laid back atmosphere where you have a variety of options for accommodation including hotels, cabins and apartments. From here you can explore the rest of the coast of Rocha for example Cabo Polonio, La Pedrera and Punta del Diablo.

A trip into Cabo Polonio is highly advisable which you can do by horseback or by 4WD - great little rustic town with a massive sea lion colony.

You can do surf classes in La Paloma as well. There are quite a few surf schools - surfing being one of the major past times here (if you want any specific recommendations let me know).

The Sea Turtles are in La Coronilla, sorry I don't have any info on there. Next time you'll have to plan a trip during winter when you can assist with the people who help the penguins and seals at Socobioma in Maldonado (maybe they work all year helping other kinds of animals, they have a website that you can check out).

Suerte!
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! What a nice welcome.

Ozinuru - If you do have specific recommendations regarding surf camps for the kids that would be great. And, if any of you know anyone who wants to make a little extra money, we are going to look for someone to give the kids spanish lessons each morning. Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Ozinuru - One more thing... Do you know much about Canario Surf? Any thoughts as to whether this is a good group? Thx!
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:25 PM

We are in Punta del Este and spent all day yesterday in La Pedrera, this is a charming little resort where
life is relaxed , beaches are beautiful and there are no high rises.
A nice hotel is http://www.http://www.brisasdelapedrera.com/ We ate very well in a traditional restaurant called Costa Brava, its a family place, on the Rambla, that is facing the sea.
We had great fish dishes, calamarettis and for the first time sea weed beignets,which were
delicious.
For desert we drove a few blocks to a place called casa Dulce, delicious deserts and
good Illy coffee, this is a place where , I noticed, sell sandwiches too.
The whole place is like a fishermen's village stopped in the past, not inexpensive, but ok, people go around very informally dressed enjoying beach life.Fishing, playing tennis and doing nothing.
You might like it. As Ozinuru mentions there is one beach after the other East and West of Punta del Este, going further East than La Pedrera there are two old forts. One built by the Spaniards called Santa Teresa, similar to the one built in St Augustine , Florida also by the Spaniards and further East a smaller fort called
San Miguel built by the Portuguese. I am not sure what happened to this one but long ago there was a restaurant inside and I believe it also was a hotel .
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM

i wish to add that you are coming in the right time, providing you skip Carnaval, for getting low season rates and the most beautiful time of the year to enjoy the beaches. What I mean is
be sure you have reservations for the Carnaval days.
Another thing the children might enjoy is renting horses.
Of course you need a car here. Drive with outmost care.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 01:09 PM

I know I'm late to this but I'd highly recommend an estancia called El Galope near Colonia del Sacramento if you're heading over that way at all. The owners, Monica and Miguel are fantastic and we had a great stay there just about 10 days ago.

They have rooms organized for families and you are really in the countryside. They have a lovely dog called Tupac as well as 3 cats and 3 horses. You can cycle to the beach which is 13 kilometres away and also check out the local goat farm and cheese farm. It was fantastic Here's a link to them http://www.elgalope.com.uy/
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM

A Estancia seems to be a great choice. El Galope is one of several options. However this particular one seems great for children.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everybody! We stayed in La Paloma and didn´t want to leave! We visited the towns you mentioned and had a great time before going to Estancia La Vigna where they took care of us for a couple days! Life in Uruguay is great .. we sure hope to return!

For others looking to visit La Paloma and surrounding areas, I highly suggest you reach out to Gaston at [email protected] He knows all there is to know about this area and is a great guy. He taught our kids spanish and hooked us up with a place to live and surf lessons. Just tell him ¨Brock¨¨ recommended him!
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 06:13 PM

wow , I am so pleased you had a good time in Uruguay.