Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Mexico for 3-4 months (Jan-April) (family with three boys)

Old Dec 24th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I am planning on spending threeto six months in Mexico starting in late January. I will be with my husband and three boys who are under ten. We are looking for a small town that is near or on the coast but not full of tourists. The less English spoken the better as we all want to speak as much spanish as possible.

We hope to get the kids involved in local activites so if there is a spots center and .community that lends to that, even better. We will either homeschool or , even better, if we can do it, put the kids in the local school but I still need to research this.

Are there any towns that stand out that we should consider and does anyone know any websites to get more info on schools.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 05:36 AM

I have nothing to say on your plan at all, but it sounds wonderful! What an experience for your boys. Happy trails and have fun planning, Lynnie
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 02:26 AM

Near Mazatlan my favs 3 small colonial towns...

Concordia is one of several small, picturesque colonial towns in the Sierra Madre foothills and makes a pleasant day trip from Mazatlán. Founded in 1565, Concordia has an 18th-century church with a baroque façade and elaborately decorated columns. Hot mineral springs are nearby. The village is known for its manufacture of high-quality pottery and hand-carved furniture. It's about a 45-minute drive east of Mazatlán.
Copala) past Concordia, on highway 40 also nice.

www.travel.state.gov Mexico for safety issues there are many.

www.insuremytrip.com cheap wise...

Cosalá
In the mountains north of Mazatlán, Cosalá is a beautiful colonial mining village dating from 1550. It has a 17th-century church and a museum in a colonial mansion on the plaza. Attractions nearby include Vado Hondo, a bathing resort with a large natural swimming pool and three waterfalls, 15km (9mi) from town.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Barra de Potosi about 30 minutes from Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa.
Lovely dirt road beach town where 95% of the Tourists are Mexican Nationals.
PS 9 1/2 miles of mostly empty beach.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for these great suggestions! I will research them. Have any of you been tonSayulitas. It sounds like a cute town but is itnprettybtiuristy at this point? Our hope would be not to be around too much English and I am trying to figure out what that town is like. Thx!
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 08:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you mean Sayulita? The town that's an hour north on the coast from Puerto Vallarta? It's a very pretty area. But Sayulita is known more for its surfing and yes does have tourists. I don't think it fits what you described for opportunities with local schooling, etc. It's more of a beach-bum kind of spot.