Ideas for "Non" Colonial Willamsburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting with friends beginning of October in Williamsburg; on previous two visits, did all Colonial W'burg, Jamestown,and a plantation or two. I am colonialed-out! Besides a drive to Virginia Beach, what are your suggestions for not particularly historical activities while the guys golf (we gals will not). We have plenty of shopping here in Metropolitan NJ/NYC, so outets not a draw. We are young and active seniors but not planning Busch Gardens either. Are Hampton and Hopewell worthy of a day's visit? Thanks-
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM

My wife and I are frequesnt visitors and agree with you. We easily fill our days walking the CW streets (w/o) formal admission, window shopping and touriong William & Mary.You may also find that Sal's by Victor is as good as Italian food gets.The CW farmers Market was also very nice.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends what your interests are.
Art? Muscarelle at William and Mary, Peninsula Fine Arts Center in Newport News.
Nature? The Virginia Living Museum down the road from PFAC, hiking in York River State Park
Museums? Mariners Museum next to PFAC, Air and Space Museum in Hampton
Spas? Kingsmill Resort
A drive on the parkway to Yorktown followed by lunch overlooking the river and antiques shopping in town.

I'm sure we can come up with more if you tell us your interests.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Birdie -- yes, art -- and did enjoy the Abby R. (I think) museum in W'burg w/decorative arts collection, other museums no thanks, Yorktown sounds good. Will look up the Muscarele and Peninsula; love the performingnd fine arts in general.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If you really like art, a trip up to Richmond to see the Virginia museum of art might be worth it for you. It will take you one hour.

http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/Default.aspx

They just finished a huge renovation and the museum is getting very good reviews.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Birdie about a day trip to Richmond and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

Drive up scenic Route 5 (likely where you visited the plantation homes) into downtown Richmond. Take Main Street all the way up to Boulevard to the VMFA a couple of blocks on your right. In addition to the huge renovation, the new museum restaurants are getting some good press. Don't know as I haven't been, but if that's not your cup of tea walk a couple of blocks over to Cary Street where there are a number of good places to eat and some fun one off shops. Mongrel is my favorites for cards and gifts. If chocolate is your weakness there is an amazing shop that covers the gamut from homemade to European and everything in between.

Head back to Wmburg and hit the spa for a massage or a good work out to mitigate that chocolate. It'll be time for late afternoon wine before you know it.

Gotta say, nix on a day trip to Hopewell.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much, wlll look u the VMFA, that would be my cup of tea