Search

Need help in choosing among Botswana, Uganda & Zambia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help in choosing among Botswana, Uganda & Zambia

Hello Everyone;

This would be my first trip to Africa and I will be visiting Kenya for 9 days on safari trip. I am confused deciding which destination to pick after my Kenyan Safari trip. Reading the forums and other sites has helped me narrow down to 3 choices:

1) Uganda-Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi forest

2) Zambia- SOuth Luangwa walking Safari & victoria falls

3) Botswana- picking 2 or 3 camps at different areas.

I am planning to visit towards end of August this year. I am planning to go on this trip from Kenya.

Any suggestions on which destination I should pick of these 3?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers;
Shanky
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM

This is comparing apples with oranges and peaches.

Totally different experiences.

In order to advise you should decide first whether you are more an active person means more in walking or more satisfied by an occasional walk but generally game driving.
To add to the choices: GORILLA TRACKING is or can be quite demanding tracking but the experience is not to compare with anything the other two have got in the pipeline for safaristi.

Sp you have to decided between being actively tracking on foot mostly encountering "small" stuff and doing game drives and only occasional walks.

The GORILLA experience is not particularly what one understands when mentioning safari. Here the single experiences count and provide certainly a lofetime memories!

Happy Deciding!

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply spassvogel. I am an active person- no problem with hiking/walking. I am already going to Kenya for the safari and am planning to add one of these 3 destinations as a safari extension to my original trip. Every destination definitely does offer something unique and was confused which one to pick of these 3 if I can pick only 1 as of now.

Any recommendations on the destination to pick if only going to 1 destination of the 3?

Cheers;
Shanky
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 04:26 AM

Uganda would be an easy add-on travel-wise. However, the ride from Kampala to Bwindi is 10-12 LONG hours over bad roads (although they say 6-8). I don't think flying is an option yet. But it was worth it--seeing the gorillas was one of the best trips I have ever taken.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM

Though S. Luangwa and the falls are lovely, if time and money were not a factor, I'd choose the gorillas for my extension. It would be a completely different experience.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 07:52 AM

I would support Jane and also suggest UGANDA - not only because it's easy to combine with Kenya. The GORILLAS are simply very very special!

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM

They have a great offer - sometimes the gorilla family gets right into camp - but for sure this is a bonus and by far not guaranteed

http://www.sanctuaryretreats.com/lodges/uganda/

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM

You might also consider gorilla trekking in Rwanda, as well. I'd suggest staying in East Africa for the whole trip, rather than trying to go down to southern Africa. What time of year are you planning to go? Where are you going in Kenya? That will help us make some additional suggestions for you.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM

I agree with Shaytay! The flights to get to southern Africa can be a bear ( I am doing them next year). You are relatively close to Uganda, go see chimps and gorillas!! That way you have seen savannah game/ Kenya, and the variation with the mountains (with chimps and gorillas) of Uganda! I am doing Uganda Oct/Nov 2011!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Everyone. I am going to Kenya next month august 15th. I will be visiting Meru, Samburu & Masai Mara. So, I would like to add this as an extension.

For Gorilla trekking, I am considering volcanoes safari operators in Uganda. It seems most of Rwanda Gorilla trekking permits are sold out. I am not sure apart from Gorilla trekking - are there any activities to do in Uganda- I am not much interested in bird viewing.

Cheers;
Shanky
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM

In Uganda, we visited the source of the Nile and also Merchison Falls where the entire Nile river is forced through a narrow opening. Near Merchison Falls is a park where we saw the only "kill" I have ever seen in Africa (have visited parks in SA, Namibia, Botswana, and Tanzania). A lioness with cubs killed an antelope and trotted back to her babies with it. We also watched several lionesses observing one of the older ofspring practicing running down antelopes. Uganda is definitely worthwhile!
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:52 AM

As some of the others have already said, it's quite a difficult comparison to make. Going to see the gorillas is very special and if that is where your heart is, don't hesitate!

However, end of August is a great time of the year to go on safari to either Zambia or Botswana!

Zambia is a very remote wildlife destination and one of the most beautiful countries in Africa. If you would like to focus on a walking safari, then of course South Luangwa is the place to go. A combination of SL and Vic Falls is always great.

One of the (many) reasons why Botswana is such a highly recommended wildlife destination, is because of the diversity the country offers. From the Kalahari, to the Makgadigadi Pans, to the Okavango Delta, Linyati, Chobe....the possibilities are endless, and all of them are highly recommended. Of the 3 options you have mentioned, this would be the option that would offer the greatest diversity in your safari experience. You could choose 3 totally different areas to include in your itinerary, and can combine water based and land based game viewing activities.

Kind regards
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 06:46 PM

Check the flight connections and other logistics and I am sure at least one of these will become less attractive - unless you have a lot of time. When considering visiting more than one country in Africa first thing is to check how many days it is going to waste.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

thank you all. Definitely looking at logistics and flight connections, botswana seems to be a tough one.
One question- I read that it does rain quite a lot in Uganda; so what would be the best way to protect the camera bag and other items if carrying them on the Gorilla trekking trip?

Cheers !!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:45 AM

Plastic sacks. It did not rain until the afternoon on us but I was prepared.

There are three options in Bwindi for treking. We asked for the "easy" trek and the group was only 15 minutes away. Our family was still in the trees and we watched them come down and get organized for the day. The silverback was first down and he sat on a log that crossed a stream and waited for the "girls" to arrive with the babies. Occasionally, he would beat his chest to hurry them up. So magical to see close up!!!!

People at our lodge were gone 12 hours on the day before but they loved it. We were back at the lodge by noon.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jane for the reply. The plastic sacks- did you get them at any store or the lodges/park provides one for rental purpose?

Regards;
Shankar
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 06:09 AM

I took them with me--just regular clear plastic sacks, nothing special. I also put plastic sacks over my socks inside my shoes and took thick gardening gloves for the thorns while hiking (someone else's suggestions) but did not need either. I had plastic pancho and rain hat. I was prepared!

My husband and I were the only 2 in our easy group. There were also 3 British boys and they opted for the difficult trek. We were the only 5 at the park that day.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 11:59 AM

If you can't fit in Uganda logistically (or you can't get the permits) then a walking safari in Zambia would be a great option to do alongside a traditional safari in Kenya. Also a good time of year and there are quite a few operators.

I second the idea of plastic/rubber bags for cameras (also good for dust) and gardening gloves if you do the gorilla trek. The porters carry your day sack, you just carry your camera. You can put one large plastic bag inside your day sack or get one of those covers.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM

I agree with Lynneb, a walking safari in Zambia combined with Vic Falls (in itself a unique and worthwhile destination) seems to me like an equally interesting add on.