Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

RHK's start spring Asia trip, sadly sans Gpanda's

Search

RHK's start spring Asia trip, sadly sans Gpanda's

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy has a double? Living in the MidWest? Who is a far right Republican? Oh lord, he isn't going to be able to live this down . . . .

On the Bali front, it seems Andy did indeed alert the locals: when you see Bob driving a too small car over roads meant only for locals, traversing streams and powering up and over hills, call him into your warung and serve whatever didn't sell last week. Another reason everyone should travel with pepto.

At least Karen is getting some good purchases from this "around Bali in 80 days" sojourn.

The trip report is great. I'm still not sure why you are only running into Germans and Eastern Europeans. They didn't get Andy's memo?

Post some photos please. Have a great time.
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Tengo... who said far right?? Just because one is a Republican doesn't mean that they go beyond the mainstream conservative! As a rule, other than the Chicago machine politicians and their followers, I think midwesterners are more conservative than the folks on either coast. But this is not a political thread.........I'll say no more. (enuf)

Bob, Karen, I continue reading your report, just not always commenting as I've not been there myself. I hope this trip is living up to its expectations.

I wish you were setting foot in BKK so you could give us your perspective of things there. The more opinions, the better.

Have fun!

Carol
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM

There are no Republican pandas. This doppelganger may be really cute, smart and blessed with an electric personality, but if he's Republican, he ain't one of us.

Today, I put in two large air conditioners and bought all the stuff for tomorrow's BBQ. Hot dogs and hamburgers as required by law. The hot dogs are from Niman Ranch and delicious. They're also as expensive as lobster.

So, I got a flat tire and the first thought I had was that people with brain cancer should be exempt from these aggravatin events. Second thought was to vcall AAA, so everything will be fine.
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM

I do not think the young man who worked at my last place of employment (and looked like a younger version of Gpanda) was a Republican. Just a guess on my part, but my former workplace was known for liberal thought. (They'd have to be to hire a party-girl like me!)

Anyhoo, while Niman Ranch does have quality goods, I do not, as a rule, eat hot dogs. That rule is suspended if I am in a major league baseball park, such as Fenway or Comerica Park. I also do not eat lobster (allergy), though, so I guess the comparison remains valid.

Gpanda, I am glad to hear you have AAA. I have found their services to be invaluable. As to challenges faced by cancer patients, the week I returned to work, I had a bat fly down the chimney (luckily the doors are lock-able, and I could lock but still see the bat), the central coil on my central AC unit permanently broke, and my car over-heated and blew the gasket on my engine. The guy from animal control who came to get rid of the bat informed me that yellow-jackets had constructed a large "nest" just at the top of the chimney, too. The stresses of life, unfortunately, don't stop with our diagnoses. (Sad, IMO, but true.)

BC
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Sunday

Up about the usual time…lazed around a bit till 9:30. Went to breakfast…. Restaurant was quite full for the first time… Back to the room and our books. Germans stopped by to say goodbye… They are off to the mountains for a couple of days.

I should say something about this area. There is lots to do: dolphin watching, snorkeling, diving, bike riding, beach/pools, the mountains are not that far and of course the volcano is here too (1963 last eruption)… Of course his Bobness does none of these activities… But I should also add that the north and the south seem to be very different… south more upscale and tourist orientated with tons of shopping, while the north has small hotels catering to backpackers and the laid back life… i think it is nice to combine both..

Karen spent the rest of the AM at the small pool just across from our room…EKS—too small for laps unless you swim in circles… I stayed in our room or on the porch and read. For lunch, we went two doors up where they had a “fresh bread daily” sign. I had cheese, warm eggplant and lettuce and tomato, plus onion on fabulous fresh focchacia (sp) bread and K had chicken and lettuce and tomato…. $9 with 2 sodas and one water… delicious.. Karen bought some placemats for part of a bridal shower gift for our niece (shower is at our house the day after we get home—we are only furnishing a clean house—thank you Claire). We bought some mats similar on our last trip--- they are woven cloth and root twigs from cinnamon or some similar substance, and have a nice smell…

The afternoon was again spent reading and swimming, plus a snooze for me.

For dinner, we returned to the restaurant on the waterfront. K had wine again and I had bintang (beer)--$1.20 for regular bottle at happy hour—5-7:30… we each had a shrimp thermidor (remember T from the 60’s)—3 whole shrimp with a cheese /cream sauce.. K had snapper (200 g) filet broiled ($5.) and I had the same chicken I had had the nite before. She had a banana crepe for dessert and I had a banana split… $25+ total.

Back to the hotel to watch tv and write this.

Btw, our bed had a quilt on it which we did not need but a single sheet was too little so I asked them yesterday to add another sheet (they put on 2 more)—perfect… there is a paddle fan over the bed which we need but it made it just too uncomfortable.. this is now perfect… Another small item—yesterday we ran out of hot water.. evidently each unit has its own heater and the gas bottle needed to be changed.

That’s it for today… sorry it is so boring…. Tomorrow we may go for a drive along the coast….
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

btw, did you notice that it is 4:40 AM?? i can't sleep for some reason... i miss my apenia machine... my new updated one is waiting for me at home..
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Bob, you are a brave man (or have guts of steel) to have Bali Belly one day and then face shrimp-thermidor/beer/cheese/fakakta bread/banana split/etc. the next. Sucks being w/o CPAP. On a RTW a few years ago I got to Hong Kong for the first stop, discovered that I had my machine, face mask, and hose, but no headgear. Went to the night market and bought a fake silk scark for US$1.25, gerry-rigged the scarf through the headgear. I looked like the bastard child Carmen Miranda and Shamu, but slept well.

The poet once wrote that a Good Hot Dog is a Thing of Beauty and a Joy Forever. What is this Niman Ranch, and why have I not heard of it til now?
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM

First of all, it's not boring at all. I like hearing about the north-south features. It's nice to hear about the meals, the water, and the prices (you folks on the Asia Forum are always trying to "sell" Asia to me with the price of things, and that is actually something that matters more now than ever before), the weather and the hotel(s). Second of all, I am really sorry you're not able to sleep, but glad to hear that the new machine awaits you at home. (You'll want a good night's sleep before that bridal shower.) And the shopping, of course, is another element I enjoy hearing about. So, it's not boring. And no worries about the hot water, you & Karen have each other to keep yourselves warm!

BC
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Rizzuto, it seems very disrespectful to ask if you'd been stranded in a jungle to have never have heard of Niman Ranch, before, but here you go:

http://www.nimanranch.com/index.aspx

Many of their products are carried in Zingerman's Deli, and I worked a couple of Christmas seasons at Zingerman's Mail Order. I enjoy the deli and they also cater, and in about a week I'm meeting some girlfriends for lunch at Zingerman's Roadhouse. They're very committed to "a good food experience".

http://www.zingermans.com/Default.as...FQrxDAodTTE0Fw

BC
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM

I actually feel sorry for Bob's inability to sleep. I'll have to ask my oncologist whether my illness often makes people more sympatheitc. I hope not. That would be a horrble side effect.

HB (his Bobness) actually used the word "orientated". I know it's common, but it's stupid. Can anyone give me a single instance in which one would use "Orientated" when oriented would not do Don't think so. merely a Needhamit putting on airs.

Don-Niman Ranch meats tend to have lots more flavor than the usual Stpo and Shop or even Whole Foods stuff. Try their sausage. very flavorful. I'm not surprised that Niman has not flooded Billerica with their product. Pearls before swine.
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:40 PM

Oh, snap, Gpanda!

You failed to note that Bob actually used <i>"his Bobness"</i> in his report! Also, ouch, that yet-another-swipe at Billerica does not show that kindness/sympathy is a chemo side effect. (OTOH, better directed at Billerica than at Michigan, although, as demonstrated, we do appreciate Niman Ranch products out here.)

BC
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM

The good news about Billerica is that you can easily drive to Cambrideg. the same is not true of Michigan. You drive and drive and drive and you're still in Michigan. There's a reason why they don't have mountains.......Why bother having a view if you're just looking at Michigan?

BC-I let his self-reference pass because I'm hoping he does it agian. If it bacomes a pattern, it will be endless fodder for Fodors. FFF. One can only hope.
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:56 PM

No, we don't have Michigan. We have more than 10,000 lakes, which is more than Minnesota claims to have. And everywhere in the state we know what Niman Ranch products are, enjoy them, and have access to them. BTW, please keep in mind it was JFK himself who referred to Harvard, his alma mater, as "the Michigan of the East".

Bob's self reference may be a side effect of sleep deprivation. I'm not certain we can rely on him to repeat that reference.

BC
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Really enjoying your trip report. I especially liked the part about the sunken Japanese ship and the 13 year German boy being punished for not doing his math homework. I had to read it to my 13 year old son(a history buff), and now he wants to go to that part of Bali if we go next year.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

ponder this: i suspect there is 3000 times more poverty and depravity (yes another N word) in cambridge than there is in Billerica... and in B people work for a living, don't just live off of non-profits and government work...
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

we took a drive for about 4-5 hours today north west from here... i will report on it and post again soon.... we start our last 5 days on bali tomorrow...
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:37 AM

I commend rhkkmk for pointing out the clear superiority of Billerica to the poseur that's called Cambridge.

Not only that, but Billerica is home to far more Art Installations than Cambridge. It's a town by-law that everyone with 1/8-acre or more has to have an abandoned car in the yard. 3/16 of an acre and you need one in the back and one in the front. For the ultra-wealthy with 1/4-acre, add a bathtub shrine. Exceptions of course are for those who raise livestock, including chickens.

Billerica is ethnically diverse, as Italians live side-by-side with the Irish.

For culture, I'd like to see in Cambridge better than the Billerica Ballet (http://www.myspace.com/macstwolounge). The ballet lost their liquor license a couple of years ago, so it's now open to anyone 18 and over.

Like Cambridge, we also have a jail, but you don't need no elevator to get to ours.

Quod erat demonstratum.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:38 AM

Profound apologies for the extra ')' that got in the URL for the Billerica Ballet -- the link is http://www.myspace.com/macstwolounge

Seems to also be a word missing in the lead-in sentence, but let's not try to solve all the world's problems at once.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:50 AM

Whew! It's a relief to know that if I can't find a job here in Michigan, I'm probably employable in Billerica.

BC
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:39 AM

Billerica Ballet? Does anyone weigh less than 250 pounds? It must be the origin of the Elephants on Ice program that so poular.

I'm guessing that the Balinese have a big festival planned for the day after Bob leaves. Ganesh is the central figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -