Help with first visit to BA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be staying for 10 nights in BA at Christmas time. We are considering dividing our time between BA,San Antonio de Areco with visits to Tigre and perhaps Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. Which of these destinations would be worthwhile for an overnight stay? We are leaning towards renting an apartment in BA for one week and then spending the other nights elsewhere.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:17 AM

Maybe you could rent the apartment for the whole 10 days, and then just take an overnight bag to the other places. That seems more relaxed. I didn't get to those three places, so I cannot advise, but ensure your apartment has good air conditioning.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 03:11 AM

DI hav only visited Tigre and Colonia and so cannont comment on San Antonio. Tigre is worth a day trip (by train is pretty straightforward) and a boat trip around the delta is recommended. We stayed for 5 days in Colonia and really liked it and would definitely recommend an overnight stay. The old town is very pretty and deserves its staus as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Lots of nice restaurants and some amazing photo ops.
I agree with Willtravel re renting an apartment (and the comment re the aircon - you will need it!) for the whole period and just taking an overnight bag
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM

I agree with Crellston and WillTravel and would add that we really enjoyed SA de Areco (by bus). We stayed in the Paradores Draghi and loved it. We added a day at an estancia nearby, El Ombu, which was also quite a fun and interesting day.

~MarnieWDC
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM

Agreed - renting an apartment in BA is an excellent way to enjoy the city! I recently rented an apartment during my stay there in the Palermo neighborhood and could not have been happier. I booked through a company called Oasis - www.oasiscollections.com - and they have a an international, bilingual staff in BA which was incredibly helpful and made the whole process virtually painless.

I think day trips are a fabulous idea, but you could easily spend your entire time in BA as there is SO much to see and do and is one of the greatest cities in the world!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM

I returned a few weeks ago from BA and rented from BA Habitat - can't recommend it highly enough. My place was in Recoleta. Colonia was awesome but I'm not sure there is enough to do for five days. El Ombu was a great day trip and you may want to consider an overnight - rooms were great, great food, beautiful pool.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:17 PM

With 10 nights I would venture a little further - and fly into another region of Argentina - Calafate or Iguazu.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM

There is so much to do in Buenos Aires, you might consider spending the whole 10 days in an apartment (BA Habitat is great, as acktom said) then just taking a day trip to Tigre and another day trip to Colonia. Neither requires an overnight.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:24 AM

Another vote for Iguazu, it is amazing.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Ditto the vote for Iguazu!

Colonia was cute and an overnight would be more relaxed than a day trip - but I would do Iguazu instead!!!
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:55 AM

I may be the only one, but Colonia didn't do much for me (other than check off another spot on my Most Traveled list). On the other hand I adored the time I spent at El Ombu estancia near San Antonio. All of that said, 10 days is only enough to scratch the surface of BA so staying put has its charms.