March 25-28 Cannon Beach to Bandon Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live (translate--freeze body parts off) in Minnesota and am planning a trip to visit my parents in Yreka, CA in March. We used to live in Enumclaw, WA and fell in love with the Oregon coast. We really enjoyed Cannon Beach and were in Bandon once and found both areas gorgeous for scenery. I can't wait to get back to the coast--no other place I would rather be.

This time I am traveling without my teenagers and my spouse who can't make the trip so I have alot of flexibility. I am flying into Portland on 3/25 in the morning and heading straight for Cannon Beach. My current plans include the following itinerary: 3/25 Ecola Creek Lodge (Cannon Beach), 3/26 The Whaler (Newport), 3/27 Bandon Inn-- then on to Yreka sometime Saturday (3/28) for the duration of my trip before going back to Portland.

My ideal trip would include the majority of time being spent running / walking beautiful beach areas, enjoying great scenery for photos, beachcombing, hiking, and relaxing. Less time devoted to driving and almost no time in tourist traps (unless, of course, it is a must-see area). My goal is to prioritize visiting the most visually stunning areas between Cannon Beach and Bandon. I am hoping to find a great coffee shop or two (or five) if possible along the way and enjoy good food in a comfortable atmosphere (PREFER vegetarian but occasional weaknesses for seafood--let me know where I HAVE to go for seafood on this trip please--, BBQ beef ribs, steak . . . hmmm . . . makes me not only a confused vegetarian but conveniently, a flexetarian--actually traveling without vegetarian spouse and full-on vegan daughter offers me additional flexibility in the eating arena as well --meant in a nice way : )

Any suggestions for alternative places to stay (thought about Yachats instead of Newport) and things that I must do would be welcome and appreciated. Not really on a budget but because it's just me, I don't feel the need to spend bigger dollars on accommodations--but again, I am very open to any feedback. Thanks!!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I'm guessing you already know about Ecola State Park... Going south from there, places I'd consider would be:
1. Hug Point - walk the beach north from the parking lot to the old road around the point.
2. Oswald West State Park - a couple good options here, but at a minimum, the walk into Short Sands Beach.
3. Cape Meares State Park - the first on Three Capes Scenic Loop. Just a short walk out around the cape, but stunning views.
4. Oceanside - beautiful, relatively isolated beach, and Roseanna's, the quintessential Oregon coast diner (don't set expectations too high, though).
5. Cape Lookout State Park - hike out the cape; great views.
6. Pelican Pub & Brewery - some of the best brews on the planet; honest!
7. Cascade Head - view south from the head is possibly my favorite on the coast. It's a long hike from hwy 101, but you can shorten it a bunch by starting in Cascade Head Ranch, where you can pick up the trail a couple hundred yards uphill from the Riverhouse.
8. Otis Cafe - best breakfasts on the coast, easy...
9. Yaquina Head Lighthouse - $7 to get into the park, but worth it.
10. Cape Perpetua - short hikes with big bang for the buck views: thundering, dramatic surf.
11. Haceta Head Lighthouse - a short walk from the beach below, but optional longer one from the state park to the north (can't remember the name).
12. Seems you should stop somewhere in Oregon Dunes, but I'm not sure where, or maybe why, since dune buggies won't be running when you're there.
13. Sunset Beach and Shore Acres State Parks - more rugged, dramatic, stunning views, plus a very cool botannical garden out in the middle of nowhere.
14. Bandon Dunes Resort - they may not let you through the gate, but a great, short hike is one from the Lily Pond buildings to the beach. It's maybe 1.5 miles through dunes, beach grass, porcupine encounters.... And, when you get to the beach, you'll feel as if you're the only person on the planet.
15. Port Orford and south - because they're so isolated, I suppose, south coast beaches have an almost mystical aura about them. You'll be blown away with the view driving down into Port Orford. Between there and Brookings, just pick any of the many roadside parks and viewpoints; you won't be disappointed, I bet.

As to your lodging question, I'd go with Yachats if you could make it fit into your schedule. Overleaf Lodge there has what I think is the best setting of any lodging on the coast. And views along the 804 Trail are one jaw-dropper after the next.

As to your restaurant question, trust your gut instinct. ;-) The better seafood meals are in Portland, but you probably would enjoy the Wayfarer in Cannon Beach, Tidal Raves in Depoe Bay, and the River House in Yachats.

Sounds like a great trip; I envy you!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Newport is huge compared to Yachats, which means it's much less quaint but more options for food, for example (although good luck eating late during the week; last Thursday one of the few places I could find open driving home was a Subway). I happen to like Newport but I certainly see why people would prefer staying in Yachats. If you do stay in Newport...I may have stayed at the Whaler a hundred years ago, can't remember. If it doesn't have ocean views and you want one, consider staying at the nearby Elizabeth Street Inn or the Hallmark Inn.

If you can, grab an AAA Oregon Coast tour map. It highlights many of the places beachbum mentions above, so you can see where they all are, plus there is a bit of info/history on each one.

I think the scenery in general will be better south of Lincoln City (but do consider a detour out to hike at Cascade Head just north of Lincoln City; a bit of a hike through the woods, then breathtaking views of the ocean down below). More highlights anyway. Look at at a map - between Cannon Beach and Lincoln City, you are inland for quite a bit and need to detour sometimes to get to the ocean views. South of Lincoln City there are lots of little pull-overs parks right off 101.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks beachbum and Andrew for your suggestions . . . exactly what I was looking for. Am a AAA member and will grab the map on Monday to better plan my route because I am hoping to avoid the inland as much as possible without taking so many detours that I spend more time on the road than I want. Is 4-5 hours drive time each between Cannon Beach and Yachats as well as Yachats and Bandon about right, factoring in detours?

I was considering the Overleaf before and will change to that as I know the Whaler faces west but ocean view is from across the street. Instinct is that Yachats is where I would rather spend more time in contrast to Newport on this trip (as restaurants, aquarium, etc. are not as big of priorities for me as seeing the outdoor beauty this time around). Granted, the barking seals are tempting . . . could NOT believe how loud they were the one time I have been there down on the waterfront --hilarious!! Anyway, great suggestions. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Google maps shows 2:45 from Cannon Beach to Yachats and about 2 hours from Yachats to Bandon, just driving, so factor in time for meals, stops, hikes, and go from there. But you may wind up detouring at Coos Bay west out to Charleston and out the Cape Arago Highway so add some time there.

Just remember that 101 can be very slow (perhaps you are familiar with this) through all the little towns, where the speed limit slows down to 30 mph or slower. It can get frustrating at times, but do obey the speed limits in the towns - my rule is never more than 5 mph over in the speed zones/towns and perhaps a bit more over in the 55mph zones if I'm in a hurry.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Good recommendations. I would emphasis the hike up Cascade Head. And the Bay House has great food and view--expensive, but if you eat early in the bar, you get great food and view and it's not as expensive.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM

I would not miss Bistro in Cannon Beach, they have really yummy Greek Lemon Soup there. Newman's @ 988 also has very good food, the dining room is small and intimate. Mo's is very casual for some good seafood and clam chowder, you will have views of Haystack Rock from the dining room. ***kim***
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM

My favorite place to eat in Florence is The Travelers Cove-its not fabulous food but has a variety of things and its the only place in town with a deck overlooking the water (Siusilaw River) so nice place to have lunch on a sunny day.
My favorite beach in the area is Devils Elbow State Park-as beachbum says, you have to pay to park there but its beautiful and from there you can walk up to Heceta Head lighthouse.

The Waterfront Depot in Florence is also very good but would need a reservation for dinner.

Enjoy your trip
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:53 AM

If you happen to be a golfer (no indication that you are), there is literally no better place in the US to play than Bandon Dunes Resort, in Bandon.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Will use the dining recommendations as I really had no idea where to stop in that regard. Also, pictures of Cascade Head are just gorgeous and looking forward to Heceta Head lighthouse too. As far as golfing, absolutely love being out on the course . . . until the 2nd hole given my horrible slice! Just kind of spoils it for me. Not an angry golfer, just a bad golfer--working on it though. : )
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM

I don't think of Bistro, Newman's @ 988, and Mo's as dine-alone kinds of places, and suspect you'd be more comfortable at Wayfarer. Kimamom's "intimate" descriptor applies to both Newman's and Bistro; family zoo fits Mo's. But again, when it comes to restaurants on the Oregon coast, trust your gut. Places are generally as they appear.

And since you do play, maybe they will let you into Bandon Dunes just to look around (and take that hike to the beach). Not nearly the same view as from Cascade Head, but a comparable experience.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM

I don't see it mentioned often here, but we loved Driftwood Inn in CB for both food and service; went there twice. We also ate at Mo's (would not go back) and Bistro (OK, lots of pasta on the menu) and had a very good clam chowder at the Fireside in "downtown" CB.

Allow time for the scenic pullouts--it's hard to pass any of them by. We planned to drive from CB to Crescent City CA in one day as we had previously visited Oregon Coast from CB as far south as Florence. But we stopped all day long, had a picnic (bought at Tillamook cheese), took a couple of walks (not hikes), and the day was gone. Ended up stopping at Port Orford for the night so we could visit the lighthouse next morning. All the lighthouses are worth a stop, including Cape Mears but it did take an hour or so to drive the loop.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM

I've eaten solo at both Newman's and the Bistro and felt just fine at both, FWIW. But I'm used to eating at nice restaurants on my own so my comfort level with it may be higher than other people's. Not sure about how vegetarian friendly either is however.

In Yachats, I had a very nice meal at the Drift Inn (salmon with blackberries & hazelnuts, yum) but I've read mixed reviews since my visit which was a couple years ago. They had nice live music during dinner--some sort of South American sounding folk music as I recall.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM

putting in my research "folder"
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM

absolutely the most scenic stretch of the Oregon Coast is from Port Orford to Brookings with Gold Beach in the middle. There are so many places to hike to and see incredible sea stacks and old growth forests. Once you get south of Coos Bay everything is much less crowded and beach access is every where. In Gold Beach try Spinners for dinner or Double D's cafe for breakfast.