Our first trip to Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three friends (50ish female) will leave Milwaukee Oct 26 and return Sunday Nov 1st,... our first trip to California. Yea! We are flying direct to LAX and staying in ManhattanBeach.

What and where do you suggest we "absolutely should not miss/ it's the greatest" and some great restrauants $-$$$ that will best show off Los Angeles??? (we do not want to spend a day at Disney Land or Universal) . We want to leave LA with awesome memories!

We are looking at about 5 1/2 days of sightseeing. We heard the Getty Center and Queen Mary ought to be on our list,... (they both sound like these two will take up two days) leaving us w/ 3 1/2 left,... What do you think?any suggestions will be helpful. We have a variety of interests between the three of us,... so, we'll be ready for most anything,... including the culture shock
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 03:24 AM

Include a day at the Getty. You only pay for parking. Just seeing the building and the view are worth the trip. You could spend an hour or 10 hours and enjoy the visit.

Just south of you in Redondo Beach on the pier is Kincaids that's a good spot. Also a restaurant called Hennesey's that is reliable.

Spend an evening at the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach, 10 minutes from you. Leno performs there every Sunday night. The talent is good every night. Pay attention to their "raw" warning if you are sensitive to adult material.

Doing Lunch and walking around Balboa Island is a pleasant trip. If you are interested in a scenic hike, the trail along the Pelican Coast from Corona del Mar to Laguna Beach is a beautiful walk.

Las Brisas in Laguna is on a hilltop overlooking the coast. The outdoor patio is one of the most scenic lunches in SoCal.

You have to do InNout Burger for the best fast food burger anywhere. I recommend the double-double with grilled onions. SoCal has many, many locations; do not miss.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:05 AM

We were in LA two Christmases ago and did the usual touristy things like the Hollywood bus tour. My teenagers got the biggest kick out of seeing Julia Roberts' mansion (the tour guide said sometimes Julia's out there and actually waves at them), the homes of Kirk and Michael Douglas (very close to each other), the home with FOUR Ferraris parked at the front (yes, we counted), etc.

Took lots of pictures of the star's names on the Walk of Fame (try to look for Heath Ledger's and Michael Jackson's), and the kids posed with all those costumed characters in front of the Chinese Theatre. Try not to be too close to the characters - their costumes made me wonder how often those were washed???

Spent about 4 hours at the Getty Museum (nice alfresco lunch too) - we arrived at opening time and still had a lot of time after the museum to go to the beach.

Our trip's biggest hits: Christmas Day game of the Lakers v the Suns, and watching Wicked at Pantages. Do you have time to take in a game or show?

Yes, the In-N-Out Burger is a must-do!!! And so is a walk on Rodeo Drive. A couple of restaurants that has excellent food but won't break the bank (>$100pp) are Patina and Spago. Nobu if you like sushi, CUT if you're craving steaks.

There's a "secret menu" (not really so secret) for In-N-Out where you can order stuff like a burger, "Animal Style", or "The flying Dutchman", etc. Here's the link: http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

If you have a few hours to spare, go to The Grove for some shopping. It's next to the Farmer's Market. Some of the stores: Nordstrom, Kiehl's, Lalique, Barney's NY CO-OP, Baccarat, L'Occitane, etc. www.thegrovela.com We LOVED our meal at the French bistro right at the entrance to the market (from the shopping area).

For the culture shock, just be in downtown Hollywood for a few minutes and you'll think that purple hair, tomahawks, and multiple facial piercings are the norm.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:52 AM

I don't think the Queen Mary is interesting enough for an entire day. If it were me I would take a day trip to Catalina. If you want to see the Queen Mary it is next to the ferry terminal to Catalina and you could see it in an hour or so.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM

Excellent suggestions!

I'll just add the Santa Monica Promenade which is a fun place to have dinner and just stroll before/after your dinner.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...nade-BR-1.html

Next to the Grove is the Farmer's Market with some really good inexpensive food.

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

If you want to have an exepnsive evening out, try Yamashiro's for Japanese food and a terrific view of almost all of LA. (Be sure to print out directions to get there! It's not easy to find. You have to be on Franklin and turn on Sycamore.)

http://www.yamashirorestaurant.com/

Sounds like a terrific trip in the making!
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're planning to see Beverly Hills and you really do have a $$$ budget, eat at Spago's. I'm not advocating Beverly Hills necessarily, but if you're there...

I second the Getty Center, but the Getty Villa in Malibu is also excellent. You'll need a parking reservation (easy to get online) for the Villa. However, if you're interested more in art than ambiance, go to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art which is the largest encyclopedic museum west of Chicago.

If you don't go to Yamashiro's, try to get to the Observatory for what I think are the best views in L.A.

Rather than the Queen Mary and Catalina, I'd go to Laguna Beach on one of your weekdays and wander the galleries and shops.

Go to the West Hollywood Costume Carnaval on Halloween night. It starts at 6:00 pm, but you should plan to arrive early, especially since this year it falls on a Saturday.

http://www.westhollywoodhalloween.com/
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM

Restaurants in downtown Manhattan Beach I recommend:

Fonz'
Cafe Pierre
Rock 'n' Fish
Old Venice
Mangiamo
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM

I was just out there for the weekend and ate at Rock 'n Fish. It was excellent!
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM

Well, first of all, good choice on staying in Manhattan Beach. You will LOVE it. Staying local, I'd recommend Petros greek in the Metlox center, Rock N Fish is also yummy and practically at the beach.

Santa Monica -- Kincaids in Redondo is fine but if you want oceanview seafood, I'd rather eat in Santa Monica at the Lobster. It's $$$ but food is great and view is super. It's 2 blocks from the Third Street Promenade and at the foot of the Santa Monica Pier.

Malibu -- If you take a drive up the coast, there is a great fish market on the side of PCH that serves delicious, inexpensive fish sandwiches, etc. It's called Malibu Seafood. There's also a restaurant on the sand called Paradise Cove. If you're moseying in Malibu, you may want to hit up the small shops in the Cross Creek center and the adjacent, newly renovated lumberyard shops.

OK, I gotta run but if you want more like this, I'd be happy to give you some highlights by area. I love LA.

Happy Travels!
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM

Thanks, MelissaMorgan. I forgot Petros!
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

A very respectable thank You to everyone!!! I'm going to try and chart this into five days. I like all your ideas! Is that why there's soooo many people in LA,... there's so many fun things to do??? "hey,..ya know?"

Monday,... Av LAX noonish,...late lunch,... unpack, walk to the Redondo Beach Pier for sunset, shops, exercise

Tuesday,.. Maybe The Getty,... and than maybe that Malibu area.

Wednesday, A day in Laguna sounds like fun and beautiful!

Thursday?
Friday?

Saturday,...Jean---> The West Hollywood Carnival on,...is that a parade?... where's the best place to park and view? Do we need to wear a costume? Is it safe w/ people wearing all those masks??? Sounds kinda scary to me?

Evenings? Where's the best place in the "South Bay" for happy hour? Fun, good people, good atmosphere,... not toooo barzy,... good prices,..."Girls just wanna have fun"...even at 50ish!!! Here's an idea,...anybody from Milwaukee,... Minneapolis, want to join us for an M&M drink at one of these places???

Leaving Sunday,... boo hoo,...
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
lvk

Happy hour with a view: Beaches, Manhattan Beach www.beachesmb.com/
Redondo Beach: Bluewater Grill, Kincaid's, Samba or Tony's on the Pier.
Hermosa tends to attract a younger crowd, but they usually don't get going until 10pm, so Hennessey's Hermosa might be okay.

If you want to stay around the South Bay, on one of your empty days, you can take a drive around the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
Have a coffee at a Starbucks with a great view: http://www.yelp.com/biz/starbucks-co...o-palos-verdes
..or at the new Terranea Resort. www.terranea.com

Watch for whales at the Point Vicente Interpretive Center and lighthouse: http://www.palosverdes.com/rpv/recre...pretiveCenter/
Check out the Lloyd Wright designed Wayfarer's Chapel: www.wayfarerschapel.org/

There are very nice walking trails at Terranea, Point Vicente and at the Trump L.A. golf course.

You could then continue through the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach to downtown Long Beach, where you will find the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 05:30 PM

A walk to the Redondo pier would be exercise, but I'm not a fan of that area. Kincaid's is about the only reason I'd go there. I'd probably turn around at the Hermosa pier. It's more than four miles each way from the Manhattan pier to the Redondo pier.

For me, the nicer part of Redondo is an area called Riviera Village (South Catalina Avenue, south of Avenue I), but it's 6 miles each way from the Manhattan Beach pier which I'm guessing is more of a driving than walking distance.

The WeHo Carnaval is more like a block party. Click on the link I provided earlier, and you'll find info on parking and shuttle bus transportation. Scary? Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZ3UEwn_q4&feature=fvw
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM

letsdance,

You might check out the concert schedules at The Hollywood Bowl and The Greek. Both are wonderful outdoor venues and a real southern California experience!

I would also pass on Catalina and the Queen Mary.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM

On the same visit mentioned above, we also walked on the trails at Terranea and Trump. With more time it would have been fun to climb down to the beach (and back up!) What beautiful vistas, and how cool that there is such great public access.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM

We considered a trip to Catalina recently, but we decided against the expense.

Getting tickets can be a pain, but seeing a TV show taped can be fun. We have seen both Johnny Carson and Jay Leno. Tickets are free but quite limited. Google for info.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM

We always enjoy drinks and tapas at Mediterraneano's at the Hermosa Pier (locals correct me if i'm wrong about the location - i'm pretty sure it's Hermosa), and i just joined the ranks of the 50's. It's loud inside, but outside is great. I also have to put in a plug for my other favorite place when visiting... it's a casual little French place, Creme de la Crepe. There's one in Hermosa and Redondo. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, it's great! Where are you staying in Manhattan? That would be closer for us when we go out there to visit our dtr.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:49 PM

Yes, Mediterraneano's is on Pier Avenue in Hermosa.

Creme de la Crepe is opening a third restaurant in Manhattan Beach (Highland Avenue, just north of Manhattan Beach Blvd.), but it may not be open by the time you get here.

A couple of other spots for breakfast and/or lunch:

Martha's on 22nd Street near the ocean in Hermosa.

Uncle Bill's on Highland Avenue at about 14th Street in Manhattan Beach.

Le Pain Quotidien on Metlox Plaza (next door to Shade Hotel) in Manhattan Beach.

At this point, there are no events scheduled at the Hollywood Bowl after October 25th. At the Greek Theater, Regina Spektor (pianist/vocalist) with Jupiter One (indie rock) on October 28th is the last event currently on the schedule.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM
lvk

Other good breakfast places:
Hermosa Beach:
Good Stuff, Hermosa Beach www.eatgoodstuff.com
Scottie's on the Strand www.scottysonthestrand.com
Manhattan and Hermosa Locations: The Beach Hut -- Hawaiian style breakfasts.

There may not be performances at the Bowl, but the Walt Disney Concert Hall is also an amazing place to attend a concert: www.laphil.com/tickets/calendar.cfm

You can check for studio audience tickets at www.tvtickets.com or www.tvtix.com. "American's Funniest Videos" tapes right there in Manhattan Beach. There is also a current trip report from someone who attended a taping of "The New Adventures of Old Christine" that you might find interesting.

Since you don't arrive until the 26th, you'll be missing the Pumpkin Race at the MB Pier. In case anyone else is interested: www.pumpkinrace.com/index.html
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 09:44 PM

I agree with completely skipping Long Beach and the Queen Mary. Long Beach is one of my least favorite beach cities (in part because there really isn't any sand and the harbor has way too many massive industrial ships and oil rigs. Although there are a few restaurants that are pretty good, mostly LB has chains (PF Chang's, Chili's etc.) Also, last time I was at the Queen Mary, it was dilapidated and had no furniture (apparently, it was all sold off to pay debts).

OK, so let's see, what else? In Hermosa, there is a great little Mexican restaurant called La Playita. It's cheap, delicious and only a few steps from the Strand (and a view if you sit near the window or on the patio). It's on 14th street between Hermosa Ave and the Strand. There's also a blues/cajun club that I like in Hermosa (although I haven't been in a while so I defer to my Hermosa friends) called Cafe Bugaloo.

And while I love he South Bay beach cities, you simply can't come to LA for the first time and not see parts of the actual city. Personally, I would avoid the WeHo carnival on Halloween only because it's always packed and a complete zoo but it depends on your preference. I would try to get TV show tickets if possible (I live here and still think its fun), but I would try for something at the CBS Television studios and not one of the studios in Burbank (pretty far from Manhattan Beach). I think they tape Dancing with the Stars and Price is Right, etc. there). The CBS studios are mid-city and attached to the Grove shopping mall, which is an open air mall with a lot of charm and lovely stores (Anthropologie, Apple, Nordstrom, etc.), and the LA Farmer's Market. If you go mid-week, I would recommend breakfast near the beach and heading in to the city after the morning traffic subsides (after 10:30). Maybe lunch at the Grove (personal favorites are The Farm or Morel's French on the patio overlooking the musical water fountain if warm enough). Treat yourself to an outstanding donut at Bob's Coffee and Donuts inside the Farmer's Market. If you're interested in a seriously delicious meal, AOC restaurant and wine bar is one of my favorite restaurants in the city and only a few blocks from the Grove.

Phew, I had a LOT to say. Lol. OK, hope that helps!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -