1st Anniversary - Restaurant Suggestions in Carmel/Monterey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be celebrating our 1st Anniversary in Carmel. We are looking for a dinner recommendation in the Carmel/Monterey area. We eat just about anything. I was thinking about Pacifics Edge at Highlands Inn, because we love pretty views and it looks like the restaurant overlooks the water - - I have also heard good things about Passionfish in Pacific Grove and Anton & Michel in Carmel .... would love some input/suggestions. THANKS !
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM

Although Passionfish and Anton& Michel have good food, they do not have romantic views. Pacific's Edge has very romantic views and great food. If it were my anniversary, I would choose the latter Pacific's Edge.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks !
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM

You're welcome. Happy Anniversary!
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 02:43 PM

Been to all of them and I would have drinks at Pacific Edges at sunset, and dinner at Passionfish or Anton & Michel..at night there is really is no view...can't say enough about passionfish.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM

Anton & Michel has a very romantic ambiance complete with fireplaces. We loved our meal here last Dec. while in Carmel on an anniversary trip. It is on an entirely different level than Passionfish. We also love Pacific's Edge at the Highland's Inn, the views are spectacular. Another suggestion for a very formal gourmet meal is Citronelle at Carmel Valley Ranch, we enjoyed the food better than Pacific's Edge last visit to the area.

If you make it to Big Sur, do not miss dining at Sierra Mar. Spectacular views, professional service and amazing food. ***kim***
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM

I am going to a bridal shower this Friday. The couple is honeymooning in Carmel. A group of us got them a gift certificate to Pacific's Edge along with a schedule for sunsets in that area. It's really quite lovely and the view is spectacular.

Note: if you go for the sunset, you probably need to start circling for a window seat a good hour or so before time. The view is "available" no matter where you are in the bar.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM

Can a Hoosier find Carmel ???

Stu Dudley
Purdue '69
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM

we made reservations for dinner at Pacific Edges last September since we were staying at the Highlands Inn..no need to circle but they do have another section for sunset drinks and app's..
The huge halogen light that shines up on the roof creates such a glare that all we saw were seagulls.
The fireplaces were a lovely at Anton & Michel and the food is excellent..
Passionfish didn't have fireplaces but the food was exquisite..
We also enjoy Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur too.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM

Yes, if you want to see the views at Pacific's Edge go before sunset.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Passionfish is moving to a location that does have oceanviews, in the spot where the Old Bath House used to be, can't wait to try it! ***kim***
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
SAB

Ted and Cindy are not moving Passionfish; the restaurant is staying on Lighthouse. They are going to open a bar on the second floor of the Old Bath House Building.

BTW kim, since when have you been a fan of Passionfish? I recall that you always give it a negative reviews based on one visit.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Bookmarking. We'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary in Carmel in September. Will be checking back iuhoosier to see what you picked.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM

LOL SAB! More of the same...Yes, Kimamom, you've always spoken negatively about Passionfish. What gives?

OK, gorgeous ocean views, wonderful French cuisine, romantic, over the top in price...hands down, Club XIX at Pebble Beach. Peppoli at Spanish Bay is also a fantastic choice. For fun and fine meal, you have to try Roy's at Spanish Bay. Christopher's in Carmel will treat you like royalty while you have a very special meal. Citronelle at Carmel Valley Ranch has lovely views, spectacular service and delicious food. Happy Anniversary!
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Never been but Bouchee in Carmel looks very romantic.

My dh and I went to Le Escargot and loved it. Small-ish and romantic. http://www.escargot-carmel.com/

I look forward to hearing about where you went and what you thought.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM

We went to Passionfish for my birthday last year - and the food was indeed wonderful. It has been 6 months and I am still thinking about that meal I had halibut with corn fritters, coconut jasmine rice and a sambal sauce. However, I don't think the restaurant was a good choice for a special meal - a random night out, yes, but not for a birthday, anniversary, etc.

We had a reservation, but still had to wait 45 minutes for our table - and the wait was in a cramped entry way, sort of like waiting for a table at Dennys on a Sunday morning. A person can only get smacked in the head by people's handbags so many times before it ruins the mood - LOL. The staff was giving out wine to appease the masses during the wait (the people there are very gracious), but it was hard to enjoy in such cramped quarters. Also, once we were seated, the tables are really close together and the restaurant was loud, so it was hard to carry on a conversation. It was actually easier to eavesdrop on the conversations at the neighboring tables than to talk to my husband across our table.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE Passionfish!!