Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

In search of travel ideas: 5 weeks and 10k, where to go...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have 5 weeks and a budget of $10,000 or so for my husband and I to go somewhere...the problem is we're not sure where to go. We want it to be someplace unique, adventurous, active and to a country(ies) we've never been to, so no place in N. America, central America or Europe (West or East). We'd be interested in volunteering for part of the time, ecotourism ideas, and active adventures (hiking, kayaking, etc.) We don't need luxurious, we like outdoors/wildlife more than big city adventure. It will be during January most likely--I'd love to hear creative ideas/reviews on great places you've been!! Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Wow, would I love to be in your position. Unfortunately I can't give advice from personal experience of what I have done, but only what I would like to do...

I think I would do either Africa (and I haven't researched it enough yet to be anymore specific than that) or Australia/New Zealand. Or maybe Argentina; I would love to spend time in Patagonia and really explore the region.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Habitat for Humanity has projects in other countries. Check their website.

Also scroll the threads on Asia Forum for ideas. Many Fodorites have done the India, Bhutan, Nepal, China, Thailand, etc. thing. Some have even gone more exotic into Turkmenistan and other "stan" countries.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 05:02 AM

My vote is Patagonia. I would love to spend time there.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Check out the book, Green Volunteers (The World Guide to Vouluntary Work in Nature Conservation) published by We Care Guides and Edited by Fabio Ausenda. It's a British publication but I bought it in a local US bookstore.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Peru and Chile.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM

Another vote for Australia/New Zealand.
We used Swain Australia when we went @ 8 years ago to help us put the trip together. Lots of activity - hiking all over, kayaking, (Abel Tasman), snorkeling (GBR), hot-air ballooning (Alice Springs), helicopter (Fox Glacier), cruise (Milford Sound), mini-bus (Kakadu),etc. Plenty of (very odd) wildlife.
We did 3 weeks in Oz and 2 weeks in NZ. Could have stayed longer.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM

I've always wanted to do the Palace on Wheels tour in India. It looks great, but it's $$$$. Here's the link: http://www.palaceonwheels-tour.com/.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM

Palace on Wheels has always been very pricey. I don't know anyone who has taken it to know if the experience justifies the cost. If I won the lottery, I'd put this on my list of things to do though!
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM

I'd go to Southern Africa again if I had your options - Namibia, Botswana, Zambia. It's a life-changing experience.

Or I'd go back to Iran, probably the most interesting place I've visited. Here are some photos, if you're interested: http://jmstudio.fotopic.net/c1606257.html

Or have you done any of the Ramblers' holidays? Seeing the world on foot gives you a completely different look at things. I've been to Turkey, Greece, Malta, Southern Italy, Sicily with them. Ramblers have what they call 'Great Journeys' to drool over : http://www.ramblersholidays.co.uk/Ho...peID=12&Page=1

They also used to offer an 'Around the World' trip that started in London, with walking in Europe, Africa, Asia and SE Asia, ending in San Francisco. It was about 5 weeks and $5000. I don't know if they still offer it.