best vermont town for girls weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my best friend is getting married in April and I am trying to organize a low-key getaway for myself, her and one other bridesmaid. NOT a bachelorette party, but a weekend away from it all where we can just spend time with each other, eat and drink well and maybe get a massage or do some spa activities. A small town that's fun to walk around, with a few restaurants to choose from. The weekend will be mid-March, so not sure about the weather or if there will be snow at that point... we could be up for a hike or x-country skiing if it was available.

I was thinking about going to Manchester, and staying in the Reluctant Panther. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there another town, or another inn or hotel, that might suit us better?
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 07:10 PM

I highly recommend Stowe. It is a very quaint little town with some great dining options, fun shopping, and a couple of great places to get massages (stoweflake mountain resort and spa is awesome).
Check out gostowe.com for more info.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking Stowe, too. Any advice on places to stay? I'd like something cozy, with fireplace but not over the top victorian. A pool table would be a bonus!

Tripadvisor likes the Park Light Inn. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 02:53 AM

A few years ago we stayed at the Golden Eagle Resort in Stowe. It's more of a very nice motel than a resort. We really like the rooms. Oversized with a small reading area plus gas fireplace and couches. There was a choice between mini kitchen or whirlpool tub. This was one of the better rooms in a unit overlooking a small pond. Very close to downtown Stowe.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 04:26 AM
bm

I like Stowe better than Manchester too, but Manchester does sound like what you are looking for. Are you coming from the NYC area? Manchester is closer.
The Reluctant Panther is nice. The outlets are down the road a mile or so as well as the majority of restaurants. Not sure about spas, but there must be a few in town.
Weather in mid-march can be iffy. It may snow (March is one of our snowier months) or it may be warm (40s +). Just check the forcast a few days ahead and pack accordingly. Most likely you'll want some boots for walking around as it will probably be slushy.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 05:02 AM

What about Burlington or Shelburne.Visit the Shelburne museum.Great.Paul
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM

The Shelburne Museum is great, but not open in March.

I, like others, suggest Stowe. If you want to stay in the village, the Green Mountain Inn is a lovely old hotel. The mountain road area has lots of restaurants, bars and nice places to stay, including the Stoweflake, which has a great spa (as mentioned in an earlier post). Other ideas are Top Notch Resort and the Trapp Family Lodge, which is set in a wonderful hilltop location, with a nordic touring center across the road. There should still be snow in the Green Mountains in mid-March, but it varies from year to year.

It sounds like you and your friends are young, so I think you would have more fun in Stowe than Manchester, unless you have a penchant for outlet shopping.....
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Another option could be Woodstock. The Woodstock Inn is very nice.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. we're leaning towards the Woodstocker Inn in Woodstock. Any thoughts on that choice?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Have never stayed at the Woodstocker, but it looks charming on the website. Woodstock is a really lovely "old money" Vermont town. It has not been spoiled like Manchester, but tends to be just a bit stuffy. There are several nice shops and good restaurants. Bentley's Restaurant, at the main in-town intersection, is a lively, fun place.

Just a few miles east of Woodstock is the village of Quechee, home of Simon Pearce Glass (www.simonpearce.com). It is located in an old mill, and offers a wonderful shop with blown glass items (great wedding gifts!), as well a an excellent restaurant for lunch or dinner (Reservations essential at any time of the year: 802-295-1470).

Depending on snow conditions, there are several alpine and nordic ski areas nearby.

Have fun!