Brown ski parka in Paris & Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad this is an anonymous forum because this is such a stupid question that I'm embarrassed! But since the weather for the next two weeks in Paris & Rome is looking quite wintry, tell me if you think I (a presentable, late-50's American woman, (a little on the short side), wearing black slacks and black Josef Seibels can get away wearing a hip-length brown ski parka like a Columbia Sportwear or North Face while touring around those cities. It's not down-filled, but is a little puffy, shiny and crinkles when I walk. You know the type. I've seen some Parisians wearing the down-filled short parkas, but I'd look like an overstuffed sausage with legs in one of those. I'd take the requisite dressy black wool coat for dinner, but what do you think?
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 08:27 AM

It really isn't any different in Paris, Rome or most US cities. Take the black coat by all means and wear it as your only coat. You will more comfortable with yourself.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 08:30 AM

I second rhmuir's suggestion. Why take two coats? And really, you'll feel better looking a bit more sophisticated anyway. Make sure you dress in layers, and definitely take a scarf, hate and gloves.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 08:40 AM

I would also suggest being prepared for warmer weather in Rome. It's currently about 37 F in Paris and 50 in Rome. We were there Jan '07 and it was in the 50-60 (F) the entire time. So, bring things that can be layered for cool mornings and so you have the ability to shed layers during the day when it warms.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM

What do you mean by getting away with? Okay, I'll tell you -- no one in Paris will care what you wear while doing typical tourist things. you will not be the only person in Paris to wear such an item, of course not. If you want to wear it, you obviously feel comfortable, so go ahead.

Personally, I would never wear such a ski parka except at a ski resort or very casual outings. That's me, you obviously would. Now if it were a fancier type thing, which fur around the hood, etc., I'd think it more adaptable to walking around but a North Face????

If you just want to wear this in the day time, go ahead, no one will care, really. What do you think will happen, anyway -- they'll forbid you to go up in the Eiffel Tower? I don't think so.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 08:55 AM

Honestly no one cares a hoot what coat a tourist wears.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM
ira

>wearing black slacks and black Josef Seibels can get away wearing a hip-length brown ski parka...

Oh, my god!

Even I know that you ill be immediately arrested by the fashion police if you wear a brown parka with black slacks.

Assuming that they even let you through passport control.

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:10 AM

Wear whatever you are comfortable with and what keeps you warm and dry in any type of weather. Nobody will care. I'd never take a heavy wool coat which takes forever to dry after a walk in the rain.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM

I would never take 2 coats - just too much to drag around.

Take one that can be used for everything. If your only 2 options are the black coat or the ski jacket I would go with the former.

But do check the weather to see what yours will be. (In the winter in most of europe I usually take either a leather coat or a shearling jacket - or even a raincoat with a liner - depending on how cold it will be. (Most of europe is warmer than NYC - so I never take my real dress winter coat - or my "blizzard" coat.)
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM

First, safety. Wear a white coat. Drivers need to see the pedestrian! Style - Since reading this forum I have been noting street clothing. Rarely do I see anyone in a bit of elegant clothing; summer or winter. Expensive attire attracts pick-pockets! Nondescript is the ubiquitous street style today. Story. Man flashed an expensive watch in a restaurant. Later his car was stopped and bandits stole the watch!
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM

Ira, that was to funny. To add my two cents, I would say that if you need to ask this question, you will likely be more comfortable in the wool coat. Most importantly - go, enjoy yourself, and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM

Having visited Paris twice in the winter, I can tell you that you are concerned about the wrong thing right now. It is your feet that will make or break your trip. The last time we were in Paris I took a pair of Seibels too because they are good for walking. I wore them one day out of 11. Why? Because it was wet, and I was extremely uncomfortable with damp/wet feet.

All the other days I wore a pair of gore-tex lined, brown leather, ankle high boots that just look more like a shoe. These are Stonefly, another of my favorite brands along with Seibels. If you do not own any such thing, get thee to the shoe store immediately! Then, start breaking them in. We're leaving for Venice and Rome in a week, and these will be going along with me. I am also debating about taking a pair of brown suede walking/hiking shoes with great soles because I have read about all the cobblestones in Rome, and I know you have to have a good sole on your shoes to deal with that all day.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

oooooKAYYYYYYYYYY! I get the picture! I kind of thought so, but I hate cold and last winter I nearly froze in Paris at the same time with just the black coat (and dressing in layers). I think I've got it: just pray for warmer weather and no rain, right? Seriously, hold the fashion police off and I'll leave the parka home for the ski slopes, which by the way, are really getting pounded here in Oregon right now.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM

Hey Portlander,
I have just returned from Paris and I took my parka AND my more formal black coat. I had the room and so I took both - it worked for me and if it is going to work for you than go ahead and take both.

Like you I wore the parka generally and on our nice occasions etc I wore my black wool coat. Like you also, I would rather be warm and wear the parka but you know what nobody gave a fig what we were wearing. Our guide took us into Louis Vuiton, Coco Chanel etc and we were wearing our parkas and were treated with the same respect as anyone else walking into the store.
Hope you have a great trip.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Stormbird, thanks for that. Glad it worked for you but since I wrote my question, the weather forecast has improved and I won't need my parka, just my layers! And hat. And gloves. And scarf (tied the Parisian way, of course!)
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM

portlander, I am going to Paris in February so have been re-examining my coat closet

I saw some North Face coats/jackets in the local stores here in Baltimore (actually I saw North Face worn in Paris in Sept) but I also saw this season they have their logo on the front and the BACK of their clothing. I thought the fabric and style was attractive but the logo emblems were terrible.

Hopefully your jacket does not have the North Face logo coming and going. It makes you a vulnerable target for an attack from the rear Deborah
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 04:24 AM

In Rome in November, all the smartly dressed women of all ages were wearing quilted coats. Not the puffy ones that look like one is wearing a sleeping bag. The ladies' styles were more "fitted" with waists. THey looked so comfortable! I found one for myself for my birthday present to me.

Wear whatever you want.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 04:37 AM

A hip-length brown parka? Reminds me of a badly wrapped sausage....Brown is a tough color to wear; not a lot people can wear it and is not as versatile as some people think...A parka that has no pockets and crinkles while you walk sounds like a really bad choice all around as traveling attire.

Nothing wrong with the standard black below knee-lenght black coat with a dash of color scarf, pair of ankle-high water-resistant boots with a nice liner, wear with wool socks, a nice pair of leather gloves; this is what you should be worrying about.