On my own in New Orleans

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my own in New Orleans

Next month (mid January), I will have a couple of days to look around New Orleans during the day before meeting up with a friend. Not sure where I'll be staying, but it will be in or near the French Quarter. I won't have a car.

Any suggestions for good walking tours, shops, bites to eat? Are Voodoo Tours available during the day?

Also, any must-sees for a couple at night? This is not my first time to visit the city, but the first as adult without kids and since Katrina.

Interests include music, ghosts, history and unique shopping.

Thanks!
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM

We've done the French Quarter and the Cemetery/Voodoo tour with the New Orleans Historic Walking Tour Co - really enjoyed both tours. The guides were fun and knowlegable. Both lasted a couple hours. Both were during the day - it is the haunted tours that are at night. The voodoo part of the tour we went on wasn't scary at all, just some information about voodoo practiced, the history, and so forth, and a visit to a temple.

On our last trip we took the ferry over to Algiers across the river and went to Mardi Gras World, which was pretty fun. We got to see the work shop where floats are made, see some floats from previous years and learn a bunch about Mardi Gras.

We also enjoyed the tour of the Gallier House - we wanted to see the Beauregard-Keyes house as well, but it was closed for Katrina-related repairs.

The St. Charles Streetcar should be up and running all the way to the end of St. Charles Ave by then. I would take a ride out to the Garden District and have a look around. There are walking tours out there too. You might also want to go out to Audubon Park.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, J Correa. This is great info!
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Hi Jane,

I only speak as someone who went to New Orleans once - so I'm by no means an expert (but envy you - I can't wait to go back there). But I took a "swamp tour" - and saw so much. It was a very local deal on a reliable little boat (with a cover and animated tour guide who was great, very local guy - he was pulling traps as we went along). Saw gators and all sorts of life - it was just the coolest thing. The tours are pretty short too - won't eat into your whole day. Just something different if you're in the mood. Have fun!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM

We've done a couple swamp tours too, and really enjoyed them. I don't know how much wildlife you would see in January though - someone from the area can probably speak to that. Help decide if it is a good time of year to go on one of the tours.

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM

I did a Katrina tour. I hesitated about it, not wanting to be like one of those people who cranes their neck as they pass by a car accident. Anyways, I'm very very glad I did. It was actually a franchise; the people giving the tour were locals and were very grateful for the chance to show what has happened and give their perspective. I would highly recommend it.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM

The best bargain around is the Park Service FREE walking tour. You do have to be in line early, for a spot however, by 9am. www.nps.gov

Depending on the schedule- if different rangers are scheduled when you are there, it will be different walking tours to consider.

The Greyline Katrina tour- is very good, and it does show the destruction which is difficult to comprehend unless you see it.

The Haunted tours are also very good, as well as the Garden District tours.

Consider heading to your library and taking out New Orleans travel books, many have self guided walking tours you can also do.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I should find plenty to do!

Wow, I would never have thought of the National Park Service for a New Orleans tour. Looks like it's a jazz tour. Interesting!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Jayne, I found myself alone in the Quarter one day and had an absolute blast taking the cooking class at the New Orleans School of Cooking on St Louis, just a couple blocks off the river. It was so much fun being in a room full of crowded tables and listening to the hilarious banter of their cooks, who should be comedians, IMO. And the food was delicious --- and plenty of it! They have a great website. It was one of the highlights of my many trips to NO, pre-Katrina. We also booked a private tour of restaurant kitchens, but I can't remember her name --- maybe you could research it if interested!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Some of the ideas on here are great. NPS tour, cemetary tours, Grayline Katrina are all good recommendations.

I normally don't advise people to take swamp tours in January. While the weather can be mild, you also run the risk of a cold snap - and whizzing along on a boat during damp and cold weather is never fun.

However, the main reason to not take the tour is that (a) the swamp will not be green and (b) you will not see alligators. Alligators don't come out unless it is sunny and warm, and that is unlikely to happen in January. I highly recommend coming back in March or April and seeing the swamp in full bloom - quite a sight. Also, the gators have awakened by then.

If you really need to leave the city, you might think about visiting some plantations. They are lovely this time of year. Try Oak Alley or Laura Plantation.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 05:57 AM

As a visitor there several times...and I'm not saying I'm an expert on New Orleans, I agree with everyone's ideas on the tours, but would add a plantation tour as well. Also, don't miss the D-Day Museum, especially if you or your dad were in the service!

The Commander's Palace for 5-Star dining!
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM

You can go to the French Quarter and check out the local artists in Jackson Square. Also, many shops are opening often, some of very different from the ordinary maybe buy a voodoo doll, also a snack at cafe du monde is a must.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for this great info. I can't wait to sit down at Cafe Du Monde with a cafe au lait and beignet...mmmmmmm....Southern Heaven.

Anyway, a couple of people have commented when I mentioned this trip that I needed to be very careful because of the increase in crime in the city. Any thoughts on that?
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Just be as careful as you would in any large city. Stay on main streets and don't flash money or jewelery - also, don't fall for any scams ("I'll bet I know where you got those shoes").
We're going in May for probably the 10th time in a dozen years and have never had a problem (knock on wood). My husband had a bad knee last year so I did most of the wandering by myself and was never uncomfortable, and I'm only 5' 105 lbs. Granted, it was all during the day, but it was still a great time. Enjoy yourself!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Dan

Crime in New Orleans is generally black-on-black in poor neighborhoods beset by drug violence. The French Quarter is pretty safe and well patrolled.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Hey everyone -- countdown to my trip-- six days! Looks like I will have all day Monday and Tuesday on my own. I will definitely do a cemetery tour...still waffling on the Katrina tour. Which "ghost" tour company do you suggest for one evening?

I am looking forward to exploring all your suggested places during the day. I saw on another site a suggestion for taking the ferry to Algiers. Is this something that would be OK by myself? How long is the ride?

Also, I'm watching the weather, but for those of you who actually live there, how cold does it feel? Sometimes temperature doesn't tell the whole story.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:19 AM
Dan

Jayne, it's freezing here now. I have relatives from Minnesota visiting -- and they are cold! Typical New Orleans weather, though -- should be 70 within 36 hours of now!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM

The ferry to Algiers takes maybe 15 minutes to cross the river - I didn't time it, but it wasn't very long. Mardi Gras World is over there, which you could tour if you are interested. We went and had a really fun time seeing some of the floats, props from past parades, hearing the stories, and learning about the float design and building process.

I don't know of any other points of interest in Algiers - although I did see quite a few people make a bee line from the ferry to the Dry Dock Cafe, which is across the street from the ferry terminal.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, JCorrea. That sounds doable. I do feel like I might be ready to take a little ride on the Mighty Mississippi. I suppose a lot depends on the weather at this point...
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Dan, I am hoping the 70-degree weather beats me there!