Denali Park - food? Clothing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking the park bus in Denali and know that there is no food in the park. What do most people do about lunch? We are flying into Anchorage the day before should we go to a grocery store there and buy food or are they places right outside of Denali park to purchase what we need? We have also been told not to wear cotton clothing in Denali. Is that true? So no denim jeans? What kind of clothing would be best to wear there and in traveling around Alaska? Maybe these questions seem kind of sill but any suggestions appreciated!!
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM

There are restaurants in Healy outside the park entrance. There may be a small convenience store, but nothing like a supermarket. Expect it to be expensive, as well. If you have the time, better to stock up on a few things in Anchorage.

The suggestion to avod cotton clothing is usually for people who are doing hiking and backpacking in Denali. Cotton takes a long time to dry and doesn't keep you warm when wet. If all you're doing is riding around in the bus, then it's not a big deal.

If you are doing some hiking in the backcountry, then wool or synthetic clothing is best. I don't know that you need to go out and buy and whole new wardrobe for a couple of dayhikes in Denali, though. You could probably pick up some wool stuff from the local goodwill. I would avoid jeans. Denim is not a very good choice for hiking.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Jessie, where are you staying the night at Denali? Many B&B's will prepare lunch for you if you ask. As Lifelist said, there are little restaurants in the area that make bag lunches specially for the shuttle trips. We brought little individual coolers with us (collapsible and easier to pack) to keep drinks cool and sandwiches fresh. Be sure to bring your cameras and binoculars.

I lived in capris, a t-shirt and a rain jacket for most of our 2 weeks in Alaska. The rain jacket was a great insulator if it got cold, plus I was ready for the spotty rain showers we experienced, then I could remove the jacket if I got too hot. We have the hiking pants that zip off to make shorts for our hikes. If you will be near any glaciers for any length of time, keep in mind that it will be cold there.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM

I practically lived in jeans but only did very short hikes. Dress was pretty casual every where we went including one dinner show. Tee shirts, a fleece jacket, one turtleneck in case of cold weather, and a lightweight hooded rain jacket (kind fishermen wear) is pretty much all you need. Make sure you keep your feet dry. Have good hiking shoes/boots with good tread. Otherwise I wore sport sandals or Birkenstocks. Our son used to do a lot of hiking and reminded friends not to wear canvas shoes/i.e. running shoes because they get wet and stay wet. On any long hikes avoid hypothermia. Take plenty of water. If it's hot, dehydration can be a problem.
Once you get to Wasilla, north of Anchorage, there is not much except convenience stores/gas stations. Stock up on food items in ANC or Wasilla. We always kept lots of bottle water in the car. We also like the small insulated bags. I have a backpack with wheels (the kind kids use for school) that holds lunch, spare clothes, camera, binoculars, etc that was very handy.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. We are not hiking much so I guess I don't need to worry so much about the cotton or denim. That is a relief as we are leaving tomorrow. Not much time for shopping for new clothes. We will stock up on food and water in Anchorage. The idea about a small collapsable cooler is great. I woundn't have thought of that. Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM

We just got back from two weeks in Alaska (one week land and one cruise). We stocked up in a large Carrs supermarket in Anchorage before leaving for Denali and we were VERY glad we did. We picked up some great breads, fresh diced fruit and salads and some bars etc. I have to say we were the envy of our bus into the park - while those pre-packed lunches from the B&B's were fine most people were sorry they hadn't stocked up before going to Denali (after seeing our yummy lunches).
There are lots of Carrs in Anchorage BTW - if you Google Carrs you will find lots and then you can use Google Maps to give you directions from your accomodations / airport. This is what we did and we found it invaluable (especially are we had no sense of direction when we first arrived in Anchorage).
Imelda