Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Siem Reap Hotel de la Paix not an option...please give other hotel input!!!

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone is commenting this is the hotel to stay....but the cheapest rate for our trip is $300 per night. Since the Le Meridien is between $148 and $170 and other hotels follow suit, we do not need to spend twice the vacation money on an expensive hotel room -- our hope is to be out and about, using the hotel for sleep and maybe pool time. We could be at the W in LA or Chicago based on their website....so would like some comments on other hotels you have enjoyed. Currently interested in Victoria, Le Meridien, FCC -- preferably convenient to town but still with great accomodations and pool. Checked out Trip Advisor and I am still confused!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:44 PM

sofitel?? some of the more bus group oriented hotels...many new ones...

century??
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM

For $300 a night you can stay at the Peninsula in Bangkok. All higher end hotels are overpriced in Siem Reap but people seem willing to pay the rates. The HDP is raved about but has no gardens, is next to a parking lot and there is new construction close by. A far better choice would be either the Victoria or FCC both of which have good reviews from guests.
Also worth a look at are the Sokha Angkor Hotel, La Residence D'Angkor and the Angkor Palace Resort & Spa.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:18 PM

Have a look at the Victoria. Based on how it looks and a poster's experience there we have changed our reservations to there from the HDLP. www.mittapheap.com has very competitive rates for many hotels in Siem Reap, and I just learned that they will also lower their price or try to throw in extras for the asking. Maybe have a look at their offerings.

There are also lots of nice places with pools for a fraction of the cost. La Noria, Les Mysteres d'Angkor, Borann l'Auberge, Bopha Angkor, Shinta Mani...just to name a few. There are good descriptions and a good map on www.canbypublications.com and also good descriptions on www.travelfish.org.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:33 PM

Sofitel is a fabulous hotel. Great gardens fantastic, huge pool. Pics on this link

http://www.leightravelclub.com/cambodiaphotos.htm
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM

I really enjoyed my stay last November at the Prince D'Angkor.

IMHO, good value for the price.

Nice salt water pool.

http://www.princedangkor.com/

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:03 PM

We loved the Victoria. It was about $170 a night for the best rooms during the height of the Xmas tourist season.

Check out my trip report - "Boy Falls off Elephant/Man Buys Japanese Toilet" -scroll down to SR section.

Or...pasted below is a more detailed description I wrote for another poster.

Found out about it originally from my Asian art collector friend who said she had spent a day looking at every hotel in SR and it was her fave. Old world colonial charm - Felt like we were staying at Jim Thompson's house.

Service: Excellent if you consider that this is a four star, not five star in a developing country. Not on the level of the Peninsula, but that was a relief for us - felt more authentic.

Room: You know you're in Asia. Hardwood floors, cool fabrics, small but new bathrooms. Ask for balcony overlooking pool.

Pool: Huge, gorgeous infinity pool surrounded by chic French people reading Vietnam guidebooks. Moderate amt. of kids.

Jacuzzi: Stunning, but not heated

Food: Great, but we mostly ate in town. Breakfasts were good (though not on par w/ the Peninsula or the Anantara). Had one lunch there - fish amok - awesome. Kids loved room service. Tried to get out of the mandatory over-the-top xmas buffet, but it turned out to be delicious, fun and not overly westernized.

Location: Perfect. On charming park next to the Grand Hotel/Regent and across from a small, colorful wat filled with Buddhist kitsch. Don't miss the bats at sunset, even if you stay somewhere else. Fifteen minute stroll or five minute tuk tuk to market area. (Usually took tuk tuk there and walked back along river.)

Spa: small, reasonable, stylish, looked inviting, but didn't use it. My husband went got a $6 massage off premises - name is in my trip report. Said it was exactly the same Thai massage as the Pen but w/o atmosphere.

Other guests: interesting mix of Europeans and a few American expats living in Asia or Europe.

Bar/Game Room: Cool retro atmosphere from another era - My kids hung out there for hours on end playing chess, badminton and board games.

Again, can't recommend this place highly enough. Had considered H de la P, but it's across from a gas station and massive construction site. Also everyone we knew from LA had stayed there and the Victoria seemed more off the beaten path.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

I do appreciate all the good feedback. We are not looking for a bargain hotel...willing to do up to $200/night. Main concerns are location for dining (Le Meridien too far out from restaurants??), good pool area, and comfortable clean accomodations with a king or queen bed (hubby is 6'4"). We normally like "boutique" hotels but also great settings for a sunset cocktail. Sofitel looks too resort style so maybe Victoria would be worth pursuing.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Remember that some of these are small boutique-type places like the Victoria or the FCC or Shinta Mani. Some a huge, like the Sofitel. Depends on what you want. There are also inexpensive guesthouses like La Noria, but the services they are offer are minimal.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM

kacollier,

I am another fan of the Prince de
Angkor. Centrally located with big rooms. The interior is made entirely out of wood which looks fabulous! Got a great price from Ponheary for our room there 2 years ago at less than 100 US per night. Highly recommend the place.

Aloha!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM

I was there in 2000 so there are many more hotels now. But I liked the Angkor Village very much..had a nice pool and lovely atmosphere..it was a quick ride to the main part of town..great breakfasts, too.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Shinta Mani. I loved it .Would definitely return. About 5 mins walk to most of the restaurants we visited- about 3 mins to the F.C.C. Fabulous staff and food. Lovely pool and rooms
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM

FCC -- stayed there last December -- would not go back.

mcbeanie
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM

I have just booked 4 nights in February at the Victoria Angkor Hotel at $175 US a night for a room overlooking the pool. I read a lot about Siem Reap hotels and the Victoria seemed perfect. Great reviews all over the net on this hotel.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:16 PM

You'll love the Victoria!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

I had it narrowed down to the FCC and Victoria -- I wish McBeanie would have given more information about the FCC in his comment "not to stay there". Had a few questions on the Victoria so was hesitant that they haven't replied. First, what is the difference between a superior @ $140 and a deluxe at $150? Is internet free or for a fee and is it in-room or lobby/business center? With that rate, no breakfast or transfer is included. For $120 FCC is offering a garden view, king bed room with transfer, breakfast and free internet. My husband owns his own company so access to internet is important. Any final help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Re: The Victoria

Is this who you're corresponding with?
We were able to bargain with them and get price down.

[email protected]

Didn't see the "superior" (cheaper) rooms but the deluxe looked more Asian in the photos, so we chose those - minimal price difference.

No wireless internet in the rooms. Had to pay in business center. Good connection. Can't remember rate - wasn't outrageous. Ponheary picked us up at airport, taxi back was inexpensive, again can't remember how much.

FCC looked lovely from the outside, small, porch on the river. Don't think they have the fabulous pool scene though.