One morning in Seattle

Search

One morning in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One morning in Seattle

I have one Sunday morning in Seattle on July 1--five or six hours from when I arrive in my car (the end of a long road trip) until I have to board a cruise ship. Where should I go? I do have my own transportation. I've heard a little bit about Pike a little bit, but I'm open to other suggestions of things to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the typos in the first post, and here's a bit more information so that people know what I like to do: the only traveling activity I'm really not into is the 'party scene'--I'd much rather be out in nature or enjoying the natural culture of the area while sober. I'd like to get an idea of the culture in Seattle..so again, maybe Pikes is the best bet..but I've heard there are some amazing nature places nearby, so those work as well.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would walk around downtown... Yes include The Pike Place Market, perhaps get coffee or a pastry for breakfast there (La Panier french bakery, or the scone shop). Or sit down breakfast at Lowells or Athenian which are old-timey places both having waterfront views of the Puget Sound.

You could then head south along 1st down into Pioneer Square historic district (the cafe downstairs at Elliott Bay Bookstore is nice), and east into Chinatown/International district.

I don't think you need to worry about the party scene, unless someone's up from the night before... it being Sunday morning and all (haha).

Also I'm not sure really how much of a sense of local culture you will be able to get, anywhere, again on a Sunday morning and with such a short period of time to look around.

For nature, you could drive out to the Arboretum (huge park) and Lake Washington (including Madison Park, Madrona, Leshi neighborhoods). They are very close to downtown and very beautiful.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I would suggest a drive around some scenic Seattle neighborhood, but if you are arriving in Seattle having driven a few hundred miles, you may not be up to it.

If you want to get an idea about downtown Seattle, your itinerary should include the Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, and our new library. Free bus service is available between mid-town and Pioneer Square.

Walk from the library down Fifth Avenue; you will pass Fairmount Olympic Hotel (peek inside) and the 5th Avenue Theater (home to Broadway stage shows). At Pine Street you will hit the core of the retail core--Nordstrom. Nearby are Macy's and two indoor malls: Westlake Center and Pacific Place.

If you are, in fact, up to a drive around town, study a map to include Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill (for the most-photographed view of Seattle with Mt. Rainier in background). Perhaps continue to Magnolia Bluff for a spectacular view of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. Check out the Locks.

There are many other options, depending on your interests. We, for instance, never tire of driving along the shore of Lake Washington.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the Pike Market is worth a couple of hours, no more. The crush of tourists is pretty intense frankly. Get there as early as possible, have a latte or some such from the original Starbucks, grab a bun from Mee Sum or La Panier, wander around...

My other thought would be the International District. Dim sum at the House of Hong or one of the other big places is very fun and very Seattle; go to the quite wonderful Uwajimaya village and get dazzled by veggies you can't name, or cool Japanese kitchen gizmos, or the very fun and bustling pan-Asian food court.

Then drive out to Alki Point for the best views of the city, maybe a walk on the beach...

I would also recommend a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island, but since you're getting on an Alaska cruise, maybe you'll have enough water time as it is.

One "nature" possibility that involves a couple hours driving would be a run out to Snoqualmie Falls (10 min. off I-90 in Snoqualmie, 30 min. east of Seattle.) With a lot of snowpack in the hills this year, the falls still ought to have quite a lot of water in July. There's a fancy restaurant (Salish Lodge) overlooking the falls for a blowout "farm breakfast;" alternatively there's a snackbar with okay food next to the parking lot. You could get back into town easily enough to board the ship.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM

In addition to those ideas, check out the new Olympic Sculpture Park just north of downtown. Art+waterfront views.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dim sum brunch is an excellent idea! Parking is usually not too bad around the ID (international district).
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, everyone! These suggestions are wonderful. It looks like I may have some time in Seattle on Saturday night too, so hopefully I can fit in many of your suggestions.