Chaa Creek question?

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaa Creek question?

In Feb. we are spending five days at an ocean side resort ini Belize, then want to move inland for jungle/rain forest experience. What feedback can you give me about Chaa Creek. It sounds pricey but convenient with lots of tours offered. Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated !!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Wonderful, one of the best lodges in the region, lots to do on site and in the area. Well worth it.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM

We spent a few days at Chaa Creek... it was very nice, but we preferred the time that we spent at Chan Chich. It seemed more authentic and everything (guides, horseback, food, etc.) was great.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM

We LOVED the Macal River Jungle Camp, a beautiful secluded, jungly setting, sweet cabins, great food, and, since it's Chaa Creek's wild child, access to all the trails, the museum, butterfly farm, tours, etc. Chaa Creek offers. Check it out:

www.belizecamp.com

If you like adventure another place you could consider is Caves Branch:

www.cavesbranch.com

Have a blast, whatever you decide!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM

I was at Chaa Creek (for the sixth or seventh time) about a week ago. It's a lovely lodge, with among the nicest grounds and best staff in Belize. It is convenient for tours, caving and Maya ruin trips in Cayo. The food, under a new chef, is somewhat innovative and always excellent. The lodge is updating its cabanas, making some of the duplex cabins into suites.

I'd give Chan Chich the edge on wildlife spotting and birding. And Chan Chich has a swimming pool, which Chaa Creek badly needs.

--Lan Sluder
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM

We stayed at Chaa Creek in the summer of '05 and loved it. I hate to disagree w/ Lan (he is the expert) but we found swimming in the river much more fun and natural than a swimming pool. Just a suggestion, consider flipping your itinerary. Katie Valk helped us and we did 3 nts at Chaa (wished we'd stayed 4) and then did 7 nts at Banyan Bay on Ambergris Caye. I believe going from Jungle lodge to beach a better option (our humble opinion). FYI- our kids were age 6 & 12 and loved Chaa Creek (as did the adults...it can be a bit pricy though)
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for all of the input. I agree, I'd rather end up on the beach, but can't do. Going there for wedding.
Another question. You speak of swimming in the river...what creatures should I be aware of? Crocks? Snakes? I'm brave, but not REAL brave. Ha.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Pausanias

I think a pool would be a nice addition, but we enjoyed swimming in the river, too. Trouble is, by the time you climb back up to the lodge, you're hot again. Would also be a nice place to just "hang" in the afternoon. Don't think there are any dangerous critters in the river.

One of the highlights was taking a canoe upstream (free) for a short paddle. There's a nice beach about a half mile away. The better route is said to be downstream (charge for canoe retrieval), but we didn't have time.

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM

We took canoes from there to San Ignacio but it was a longer and hotter trip than we expected. We enjoyed the river and the hiking trails are great.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM

Forgot one cool thing that we did at Chaa Creek... A guided night hike.

We went out after dinner looking for nocturnal animals, tarantulas, etc. Creepy and cool!

Also, the butterfly farm at Chaa Creek is pretty neat (Blue Morphas).

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM

There are no critters in the river. The water is clear, cool and inviting. We canoed down to San Ignacio and found it to be a very leisurely way to spend an afternoon. I also agree with Astein who recommended the night nature walk. It was a highlight for the kids and something we still talk about. We saw a fox, armadillo, tarantulas, etc....very fun