Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Lipstick - allowed as carry on, or not?

Search

Lipstick - allowed as carry on, or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thinking too. And I'm sure one could find a plastic bottle with a plastic cap.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Went to TSA sight--lip gels etc. are allowed--did not see a clear cut guideline
for lipstick----

Is lipstick allowed????????????
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Have your boyfriend or husband put it in his front pocket. When security pats him down, well, they will think they felt something else.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM

I flew four flights in September and lipstick and chapstick were allowed. Both are considered solids, not cream or liquid.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM

From TSA.gov:

"You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids."

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:33 AM

We are traveling on Contitnental to Puerto Rico next week. The TSA website and Continental's did not seem to answer some of my questions. Maybe someone here can help.

Can lipstick, moisturizing eye drops, mascara, and a tube tube of a vitamin E cream for under eyes be put in my purse? What about vitamins and other meds - can they go in my carry-on? My husband is telling me to take nothing on board with me and check everything in my suitcase. He says lines of people with items in clear plastic bags are usually very long. Thanks for any advice from recent travelers.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Marianna --
The plastic bags are looked at as you make your way through the regular security lines -- it is not a separate line.

From tsa.gov:

&quot;<i> The following rules apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols you want to carry through a security checkpoint.

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.
All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.
Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.&quot;</i>

For exactly what you can and cannot take in your carry-on, read this:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#1

I suggest putting cosmetics you don't need on the plane in your checked luggage as you will not have alot of space in that 1 quart baggie.

I would carry meds with you in your carry on. Read the above page on how to handle meds.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Marianna,

Your husband may have seen long lines of people holding the plastic bags on TV, but as Debi wrote, it's the same security line that you will have to go through anyway.

You'd probably be better off putting your lipstick and eye drops in the plastic bag since they'll be x-raying your purse and may stop you to inspect it. The purpose of the clear plastic bags is that the inspectors can see immediately what you have so it saves them time checking carryons.
Absolutely do not pack your meds in your checked luggage.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:57 PM

The public is being very ill served by the arbitrary and useless rules enforced by arrogant, stupid people. They have yet to intercept a terrorist or find a serious threat. That is not to say that there have not been any terrorists nor serious threats, just that the TSA hasn't detected them. They seem to be operating under the notion that travelers will feel safer if they are seriously inconvenienced, even if they (the travelers) know that the hassle doesn't do any good.

It is time that this whole gang of fools was turned out on the street. Please write a letter to your congressman.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Although I was thoroughly enjoying all the jest and mockery of this discussion, (mrwunrfl's bottle comment cracks me up,) as well as practical first-hand advice, I want to say:

Hear, hear, motorguy. It's true. I don't feel ANY safer. But I do feel INCREDIBLY inconvenienced and EMBARASSED at the FARCE that airport security has become. How did the policy-makers get so obsessed with &quot;preventing&quot; attacks that have ALREADY occured that they are still completely blind to the real prevention: understanding.

I am now motivated to write in and request that airports stop wasting billions of world citizens' time, money, and sanity on useless security precautions and, instead, try to actually educate themselves on where strife, desperation, activism, and extremism comes from.

:: steps down from soapbox ::
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM

OK: I been told. Just as long as you make the proper stink to your congressperson.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 01:55 AM

<i>&quot;try to actually educate themselves on where strife, desperation, activism, and extremism comes from.&quot;</i>

Oh, yeah I get it. It's the US' fault crazed nutbars drove planes into the Pentagon &amp; the Twin Towers. They weren't nutbars, just desperate activists.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Marianna,

<i>&quot;Can lipstick, moisturizing eye drops, mascara, and a tube tube of a vitamin E cream for under eyes be put in my purse? What about vitamins and other meds - can they go in my carry-on? &quot;</i>

Lipstick--regular carry-on, UNLESS it's a gloss. Lipgloss goes into the plastic ziplock bag.
Mascara, eye-drop, VE cream--Liquid. So all go into the plastic ziplock bag.
Vitamin/medicine--regular carry-on, UNLESS it's liquid/gel, in which case goes into the plastic ziplock bag.

These are the logical conclusions from both my experience and reading the rules. However, you can still be subject to ignorant airport security staff with arbitrary interpretation.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:48 PM

I realize, in retrospect, that Fodor's is not the place for political &quot;soapboxing.&quot;

My apologies! Won't happen again.