Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

getting sine euros before trip or at florence airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a recommendation on where to get a few euros since once I land in Florence I will need a few euros for the bus to the train station and possible something to eat. Is there an ATM at the airport or just an exchange booth? AAA use to exchange money, but not sure they do anymore? Any suggestions
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

sorry - title should read "getting SOME euros before trip or at Florence airport"
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM

I thought the Florence airport was closed....

Anyway, I always arrive in Europe with some euro in hand because I am one of those who does not want to bother with stuff like tht after a long flight, and I've done that only to find ATM machine not operating, long lines, etc., so that's something to consider.

That said, wherever you're landing in Europe there will be an ATM machine close by, and that's the least expensive way to get cash. And there will likely be an exchange booth as well (and one at your departure airport as well).

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM

I flew into the Florence Airport last year without any euros. It is a small airport with only one ATM machine. It only gave me euros in denominations of 50. The bus driver was very unhappy with me when I gave him a 50 euro for a small fare to take me into Florence. I don’t know what he said but it was not good.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Yes, but where to get the euros in US?
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM

You can purchase them at your bank or credit union
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Janet, lol. That sounds like a reason to take a few euros with me; I wasn't planning to.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM

I have purchased them at an American Express Travel agency, and am glad I have euro when I arrive to get me through the first day or so.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>It only gave me euros in denominations of 50</i>&quot;

One solution to that is to not ask for a multiple of &pound;50. If you ask for - say, &euro;185 or &euro;230 you will get notes in different denominations . . . .
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:25 AM

As if that bus driver only had to make change for you and nobody else that day...I usually arrive with a few (often saved from the last trip)...in case ghere is no handy ATM or in the case the machine isn't working.

There are worse things than having to exchange a SMALL amount of money at a bureau or bank UNTIL you GET to the first working ATM.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would never arrive in a country without having some of the currency on me. Would you suggest arriving in the US without dollars?
If you need change for the bus, why not buy a chocolate bar on the way out? And like other posters, I try to save some Euro change for the next trip - those canisters that 35mm film used to come in are great for this if you still have any.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:19 AM

Any large US bank will carry Euros. Just go to your branch office and they will have them sent from the main office. Give them at least a week before you leave.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:26 AM

If your flight first lands in another EU country (ours lands in zurich before venice) you can use an atm there.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:32 AM
ira

Hi K,

There will be an exchange office in your departure airport.

Change about $50 into E.

It will cost you about $3 more than if you did it in Florence, without the worry of what to do when you get there.

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:06 AM

StCirq- Yes, Florence was closed but it is now open again. kraspa-It is a small airport. I would have Euros in hand. As Ira said get some before you leave. We fly out of the St Louis airport. The bank there has Euros but they are not open on Saturdays so we went over a few days before and got some. ATMs are everywhere in Italy but with that said, what happens if the one ATM machine you need does not work or eats your card? Our rule of thumb is to use ATMs when banks are open just in case. lynclarke
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:22 AM

&quot;<i>Would you suggest arriving in the US without dollars?</i>&quot; Yes - the same strategy works - just get US$ from an airport ATM.

&quot;<i>Any large US bank will carry Euros</i>&quot; Actually, fewer and fewer banks have foreign currency. In my home town one used to be able to get &euro;, &pound;, &yen; from several banks. Now only the main branch of one major bank will even order them for you.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:27 AM

A good friend of mine works at a bank. She buys me euros. She doesn't have to pay fees. I do like to have both dollars and euro's on me...for either end of the trip.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:41 AM

What US airport are you flying out of? Most of them have exchange offices where you can buy euros before leaving.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In the U.S. you can purchase euro at places such as: Thomas Cooke Exchange Bureau, at your own home bank tho by ordering them ahead of time, at a main/international branch of a major bank at their currency exchange desk, thru AAA, from American Express, at your departure airport.

When you get larger bills from an ATM, you can break them with a merchant. Buy some food, water, magazine whatever at the airport. Around the world, taxi drivers do not like or cannot easily make change for large bills. Large bills is the one drawback to using ATM's for funds. I always keep this in mind and break them at large restaurants or large grocery stores any chance I get, or ask your hotel front desk for smaller demoninations.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:53 AM

in the States most ATMs only give $20 bills, or somtimes $20's and $100's. But in Europe, most dispense several different denominations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -