Search

Costa Rica More Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica More Questions

Hello, I'm back with more questions. Mainly wondering if we might be short changing Monteverde. We're traveling in Dec and flying in San Jose and out of Liberia. First night San Jose, arrive late leave early. Any hotel suggestions? Then 3 days in Manuel Antonio possibly staying at Hotel Verde Mar, anyone have any opinions on this hotel? We won't have a car so like that it is so close to MA. Then 3 nights Arenal, leaning towards Arenal Observatory Lodge. Husband quite taken with the idea of the Smithsonian rooms and again the location seems good, although it's had pretty mixed reviews here. Then 2 nights Monteverde. Too short? Then 3 nights Rincon de la Vieja at Hacienda Guachipelin. Finally 3 nights relaxing beach, possibly Playa Hermosa. Would you add a night in Monteverde? What would you shorten? Traveling with a 4 and 6 year old. They're good travelers but the beach tends to be their favorite. Hotel suggestions in the moderate range? This forum has already been so helpful (and was invaluable a couple years ago planning an Argentina trip) so very interested in any and all suggestions. Thank you very much!!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM

I really like the Verde Mar for travelling with children. It has a pool and is within an easy walk of restaurants. It's right on the beach but that particular beach has a real riptide problem. My family got swept out to sea last time we were there which was a frightening experience. I'd stick to swimming in the Park at the quieter beaches with kids that young We didn't have a car while we were there and didn't miss it at all.

My kids at 7 and 10 LOVED Monteverde - the frogs, bugs, snakes etc. We were there for 4 days. We stayed at Los Pinos in a cabin which had 3 bedrooms and a full kitchen - very family friendly.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:38 AM

The Hampton Inn near SJO is great for the first night. They have a free shuttle and the hotel is truly about three minutes from the airport. Being so "American", the Hampton Inn lets you sort of ease into being in a foreign country...the familiarity is nice, esp. if you arrive kind of late at night.

We were in Arenal in mid-March, and at that time, the Observatory Lodge was getting the best lava views by far.
We didn't stay there, but we hiked up there. I can tell you that there is a big difference in the quality of the various rooms. Some look old, dark and dingy; others look brand new and full of light.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I think you'll be fine w/ 2 nights in Monteverde. Just leave early so you can get the full day in. You can do a lot of things in Arenal that you won't have to do again in Monteverde.

For the firt night in San Jose, I suggest Corteza Amarilla. New hotel, very cute, big comfy rooms, beautiful outdoor dining, etc. I would not bother staying in an American chain at all -- the local hotels are just too charming to miss.

Sandy
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Why stay at a Hampton Inn when in Cota Rica? Isn' the whole point of travel to experience something else?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Your itinerary sounds good to me. Do not miss the butterfly exhibit in Monteverde, they have an excellent bug exhibit too.

We loved the Arenal Observatory Lodge and our Smithsonian room. The pool looked very nice, and we loved the extensive grounds and hiking right there. In fact, we plan to go back there next year, 2 nights was not enough. The only drawback is the road up to the lodge is long and bumpy.

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM

We are doing 2 nights at Arenal Observatory and 3 nights at the ArcoIris Lodge in Santa Elena in JUne. It isn't very expensive and has received a lot of good reviews. I Can post on this site and let you know what our experience is like.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Cahenn, please do let us know about Observatory Lodge, and Santa Elena and if you thought 2 days in Arenal was just right or if it was too short. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Still debating. Anyone been to Rincon de la Vieja? Thoughts? Keep the suggestions coming, planning the trip is almost as much fun as going. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM

jenm, I do plan to post after my tripand let you know how it went. Some people do think it is better to spend more time in Arenal because of all the activities. We are only staying 2 nights in Arenal Observatory because it is hard to get around if you do not have a car. I just want to get up close and personal with the volcano. My deciding factor was that the volcano flows are more visible(weather permitting) from the lodge right now. I also like the fact that there are trails at the lodge and they offer guide tours to the park. Without a car, more than 2 days might be too much. We plan to do all the canopy tours etc. at Monteverde. Before Arenal we will be in Torteguero so I decided against all the river tours near Arenal. However, you might be interested in them and might want to spend more time there. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 06:40 AM

cahenn, where are you staying in Tortuguero? I too am a solo traveller and will be in CR from 8/6-8/23. Thanks Jenm for all the information. It was most helpful. I can't believe how much I have learned from this forum!!
Barbara
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Barbaract,
We are staying at the Mawamba Lodge. A couple of friends have stayed there and really enjoyed it. Veronica has been really helpful and promptly answers my emails. You might consider them. I think there website is www.grupomawamba.com. Hope it helps.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM

jenm,
We just returned from CR. I am recovering from some type of virus, so this will be brief..but you can e-mail me w/ specific ??'s if you like. ([email protected])
We landed in San Jose, spent 2 days at Vista de Valle-wonderful, with great food, then up to Arenal. Stayed at Tabacon, we enjoyed it, but I have tons to write about when I'm feeling better, anyone w/ ?'s can e-mail. We visited Observatory Lodge, interesting drive to get there, but soooo worth it!
Next time I would stay there, only because we did Tabacon already. Rooms closer to the pool had great view of volcano and seemed bigger and newer. Those directly near the lodge are quite rustic, clean, but rustic. Several hikes on the property, didn't get to do them, our kids were beat at that point. Lots of wildlife there.
Then on to Manuel Antonio, stayed at Tulemar. Enjoyed this too, at only one meal there and several out. Anaconda at the Costa Verde had EXCELLENT food and nice waiter too (Omar). There was so much to do at MA. We were there for 5 days and there were still things we didn't get a chance to do.
Rincon de la Vieja- was there 7 years ago. It's a dry rainforest. Hot and dry. Alot of volcanic fumerals, steaming mud pools. Saw some animals, not many..mostly lizards.
Didn't have the time on this trip for Monteverde. That will have to be next time.
WORD OF WARNING: If you are driving and get pulled over by the police DON'T PAY THEM ANY MONEY, it is a cheating scam punishable by up to 10 years in jail. We had the misfortune of this scam..lost $80 (better than the $240 he started at) Took our license and passport and REFUSED to return it. If you have a camera or video recorder USE IT this will definetly put a quick halt to his actions!! The police (as we found out later) can not keep your passport or license!!!!
If you have other ?'s e-mail
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:36 PM

jenm,
The Rincon is a fabulous place, but I think 3 nights is a little long there (you can experience what it has to offer in one full day). For us, 2 nights at Monteverde was NOT enough--would definitely stay 3 next time, and would cut the Rincon to 2 days. There is definitely enough to do at Monteverde to entertain you for a couple of days--and remember, you lost a LOT of time just getting in and out of there!

Everything else sounds good! Have fun!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Shillmac, I think I am leaning toward 3 nights in Monteverde and 2 in Rincon de la Vieja. 58smom, would you say that Rincon is unpleasantly hot and dry? Your description is making me think Vegas in July.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Jenm, when we were in Rincon it was July--beautiful weather and everything was so green. In December, you will be at the beginning of the dry season, so perhaps it will still be pretty, but with less foliage you should be able to easily see wildlife (monkeys, toucans,etc). I don't remember it being so hot, but wasn't there in December. Just my dos colones. It is truly a marvelous place!

We had planned to spend a couple of nights at Borinquen Resort (we've done the mud baths there), but decided to adjust our schedule for more nights at Playa Hermosa and will just visit again on a day trip for hiking, etc. Guachepelin looks very nice as well.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Not unpleasantly hot and dry, but it is hot there and drier than Monteverde and Arenal area. We enjoyed our time there, but definetly enjoyed Manuel Antonio and Arenal more. We felt there was more to do there than Rincon de la Vieja area. Just a personal choice. You can't go wrong anywhere in CR, it's too beautiful with lots to offer. I agree with shillmac, would keep it to 2 days.
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Two days in Rincon it is. The more I read here the more excited I am about Monteverde so 3 days there. Just can't believe that how far away it is. Will just have to keep reading all the great suggestions. Thanks again everyone.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM

My wife and I just returned from a great trip to the Nicoya Peninsula. We made the mistake of staying at the Hampton Inn next to the San Jose airport the night before our flight back to the US. Our room was infested with bedbugs, which we have now brought home with us. Avoid this hotel.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:06 PM

Rincon de la Vieja is a beautiful area. Interesting mud pots, hot springs etc amidst a wonderderful example of tropical dry forest transitioning into moist forest. WAe stayed three nights at Rincon Mountain Lodge and enjoyed every minute. Our visit was mid-November and all of Guanacaste was still green....in fact the rains were just ending.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

gato221, read your comment about the Hampton Inn on a different post and am thrilled that we have already booked elsewhere! Gannetmusic thanks for the feedback on Guanacaste, we're still only staying 2 nights, but since we go from there only as far as Hermosa should be able to get in close to 3 days. Thanks everyone!