Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving to visit Trier also along Mosel - where to stay with 2 kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just moved to Brussels, and are beginning to take each weekend to explore the world around us. This weekend we're going to drive to Trier, sightsee, then follow the Mosel a bit. My father-in-law said that Burg Eltz was a must. Castles are a favorite with our 5 and 9 year old boys. OK, my question - we were thinking of staying in Cochem because Trier is having a road ralley while we will be there. Does anyone know of any hotels that could accomodate a family of 4? I've found some, but I would like some input if you've actually experienced them. Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM

I have been in the area lots and love Cochem, but I always stay 25 km N in Nurburg, so I can drive on the Nordschleife at dur Nurburgring.
Agree with your FIL that Burg Eltz is the very best.
M
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM

Hi TheWallaces My husband and I moved to Belgium about 4.5 months ago and have been enjoying taking fun "exploration" trips as well. We don't have children and we haven't been to the Mosel yet (we'll be going to Germany for a week at the beginning of October), so I can't offer any input but I wanted to say hi and also make a note of the thread in case you get any good replies! I do have the Rick Steves Germany book as well as the Karen Brown "Charming Inns and Itineraries" books if you need anything from them....

Carrie
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM

I think you and your children will love Cochem. The castle there is a must do as well.
I have a namne of great hotel. The kids will enjoy the huge collection of ancient weapons, armor, and various other antiques. It is like a museum. They have a indoor pool that is very unique.
Request a room with a balcony and a view of the river.
It is called Burg Hotel
Moselpromenade 23
ph- 02671/71-17
reasonably priced.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

annesherrod- Thanks so much, I'll check it out.

Carrie- Nice to meet you! We moved here at the end of June from North Carolina, and are loving it! We feel like we've won the lottery. Germany in October should be fun as well. I think we'll do it again in November for the Christmas markets - although I hear that Beligum has good ones as well. I cannot wait!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:57 AM

In Cochem, be sure to take the kids to the falconry show at Cochem's Reichsburg Castle, even if you don't tour the castle. They might also enjoy the chairlift ride.

You should contact the Cochem tourist office right away to see what's available. Many homeowners rent 2-3 rooms and/or apartments and the TI keeps track of openings and can even book for you, as I recall.

My favorite place in Cochem isn't listed with the TI. The Mattes family has a cute and well-kept apartment w/ living room, kitchen, balcony, and 2 bedrooms on two floors 3 blocks from the town square. They are a lovely couple but older and don't speak much English.

Herbert and Krista Mattes
Loehrstrasse 34
Cochem
tel. 02671/5448

Frau Hilken has a B&B with several rooms two doors down from the Mattes. I have just stopped in and taken what's available, but with 4 you should inquire with the TI for her place.

TI contact:
tel. 02671/6004-0
02671/6004-11
e-mail: [email protected]
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Russ, I will check it out.