Notes on Anguilla post Hurricane Omar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just returned from Anguilla and wanted to share information on the current state of affairs. Although the huricane was only a category 3 and very short-lived, it nonetheless did damage the island-most notably Cap Juluca and its beach. If anyone out there has reservations for this hotel or is planning a destination wedding there this season BE AWARE! The hotel is totally closed, as are all of the 3 restaurants and entire grounds while they undergo re-construction (note I did not say re-decoration or upgrade) The place is a construction zone. The rumored re-opening date is December 15th but given the current state, I can't imagine that being the case. Given that the rates will be high season and how little time away that is, I would be making alternative plans immediately. Also, I heard from a guest who had a reservation there this past week, no one from the hotel ever contacted them about the closure and that they only found out when they called ahead to book a dinner reservation. Even then, the only way they got their reservation deposit back was when American Express called the hotel on their behalf. The hotel wanted to keep the money as a credit on a re-booked stay (at the higher rate).

The rest of the island is limping back to life. There are several places still closed and working on repairs, but the beaches remain gorgeous and the food marvelous. Another change of note is that the Straw Hat restaurant has moved from its prior location in the Forrest and is now located at the Frangipani. Also, Temenos has closed because of financial issues so its restaurant is out of business.

However, the restaurants that have often been listed in this forum as outstanding are open and still outstanding. We had fantastic meals at Veya, Hibernia, Blanchards and Mango. Straw Hat was very good but a little rough around the edges because of the move. A fun, fun place we discovered that I had never seen mentioned on this forum before was Dune Preservation- a collection of thatched patios built over the dunes next door to CuisineArt. The food was great and its location right on the sand was fabulous.

I will post a few more notes later about our trip- which was perfect notwithstanding all of the news.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM

It's actually called the Dune Preserve run by Bankie Banx -- never known for its food but last December, Dale Carty, the wonderful owner/chef at Tasty's, and Bankie decided to collaborate so Dale designed the menu and got the restaurant up & running. Some of his legendary signature salads (seafood & lobster) appear on the Dune Preserve's menu. The soups are awesome!

BTW, Meads Bay is wider than ever post-Omar.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Hi -- any advice helpful- My husband and I are going to anguilla tomorrow morning! Staying at cuisinart --did you see if they had any damage? we have stayed at Cap and Mallihouna years ago, Do you think the hurricane damage affected your trip? Where did you stay?? Thanks!

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM

The beach at Cuisi looked fine -- we spent a day renting chairs at the Anguilla Great House (next door) and a couple of GREAT afternoons on the seating platforms at the Dune Preserve. Rendezvous Bay was gorgeous at all times. We also went to Shoal Bay East & stayed on Meads Bay which was as wide as I've ever seen it. I think Cap Juluca & Shoal Bay West got the brunt of the storm -- it will be awhile before Trattoria re-opens.

Veya, Straw Hat & Koal Keel were definite highlights -- Picante, as always, fun & good!.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM

whew! thanks for the reply! I have all those restaurants on my list! I only have 3 nights - -which were your 3 fav?
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Barrel Stay & Luna Rosa are great for lunch; Veya and Koal Keel aren't open at lunchtime; Straw Hat is now open for 3 meals a day. Picante & the Dune Preserve are just fun although if you're staying at Cuisi, you're getting the same view as the Dune. Have a GREAT time!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Papermonkey, We stayed at Frangipani on Meads Bay and MaryD is right- that beach is gorgeous. We loved Meads Bay. You will be fine at Cuisi as it had no damage and I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. I agree that Dune Preserve would be a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. We sure had fun doing so and if I were staying at Cuisi I would eat lunch there often since you could stay in your suits and not have to drive anywhere.

Although we did eat at Picante, which was fun, I don't agree with MaryD about the food. We are from California and know Mexican food and this was plain mediocre. In fact, DH and I felt it was the worst meal we had.

The 3 best meals were Veya (ate there twice and if you do, don't miss the grilled watermelon appetizer), Blanchards (which just reopened on the 11th) and Hibernia. Hibernia is quite a long drive from Cuisi but certainly worth the effort if you can make it. Since Straw Hat was next door, we had almost every breakfast there, many drinks and dinner one night. It was very good but not top tier like the other 3 I mentioned. We ate Italian one night at Caprice. The pasta was fresh and they had a nice wine list with good Italian wines.

Other ideas: Geraud's has wonderful pastries and next door is a place I think is called Wee Gee's which made a fabulous curry that we had for lunch one day. Also over at Shoal Bay we had a great lunch at a place that I think is named Mademaurin (my notes are still packed away and I am still jet- lagged and not thinking too clearly)

We took a day trip to Scilly Cay that was really fun and full of of rum punch. The crayfish were amazing and we had a wonderful lunch.

At Sandy Ground there are a couple of places that are fun and popular. You could probably hear music at the Pump House or at Johnno's depending on the night of the week. We went to Dune Preserve twice to hear Bankie but somehow he was never playing and it never worked out However, the day-time fun and food made up for the disappointment at night.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM

thanks so much sharkmom, we haven't been for 10 years ( got married, had kids and haven't traveled much) and in fact, ten years ago some of the best places are the ones you are naming! I was sorry to hear about cap, and glad to hear cuisi is unscathed! looking forward to probably staying at resort for 2 lunches, and making it to dune for a lunch and heading out for more eventful dinners, music and rum punches abound!!

Thanks again for your prompt reply!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Can anyone tell me what the situation is at Rendezvous Bay Hotel and Villas located just down the beach from The Great House? In case you never noticed the place, the villas are yellow and are located beachfront. We were there 18 months ago. The place was sold and construction was to begin on high end villas.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM
NM

From what I read online Rendevous Bay Resort/Villas took a big hit from Omar and will not be opening this season. We are headed to AXA for Christmas and are anxious to see things for ourselves. It's very unusual for hurricanes to attack from the Carib. side as this one did.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM

They are still planning to raze the beach villas and build a new resort -- don't know when they're starting but the surrounding land as you enter the resort has been cleared. There is a boat beached near the villas (from the hurricane) that as of 5 days ago had not yet been moved.

P.S. The Rendezvous Bay Hotel was never sold. It was, and still is, owned by the Gumbs family who will be building the new resort & villas.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if they are still renting the beachfront villas? What do you think the hold up is as far as construction? I know building projects on the islands are difficult to say the least. When we left, they were clearing the front area. At that time members of the Gumb family told us several of the luxury villas had already been sold.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM

They were planning to rent the beach front villas beginning in November but the damage after Omar was just too extensive and not worth the rehab since they're going to be tearing them down.

I believe the hold up at RBH is cash. You probably already know that Flag has shut down the Temenos project (including the Zurra restaurant) and needs $200-300 million to finish it. It may be shut down thru all of next year although the golf course is supposed to open in December. Not a good time to be building luxury projects!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

MaryD, I think you hit the nail on the head. Did you notice how many half-finished places there were around the island? The only places that I thought construction was really moving ahead were at Cap and The Viceroy. I heard rumors that the reason the Viceroy is still going is because of a large cash infusion from Dubai.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Yes we had heard about the Temenos Project. Good news about the golf course though. Is the damage to the villas evident from the outside? Sorry for asking so many trivial questions. It's just that I have many fond memories of that place. Although the resort was in dire need of renovation, we always had a great time there and considered it to be our little secret. With the incredible beach, and the reasonable rates, I felt no need to stay at the pricey digs up the beach.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Tigress,
I didn't check on the villas. Sorry. However, the impression I was given is that they simply ran out of money and that was the end of it. All I know is that it is closed.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 03:32 AM

i was wonderng what happened to the Temenos project. It was supposed to be a st. regis site. When we went to lunch at Zurra's we spoke with the marketing person and the plans they had for the hotel/villas. I was surprised to hear taht St. regis pulled out?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM

The only sign up now is Baccarat (is St Regis part of that?). They painted over every reference to Zurra, the Blanchards and Flag.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM

Baccarat was last year's "brand" attempt at finishing the project, after St. Regis. Viceroy seems to be moving ahead. I am headed there on Friday and I will update you all. Any other questions??
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Viceroy is supposed to be opening in the spring but there were 2 cranes & some earth-moving eqipment there last week. We didn't drive into the project.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -