Booking in Advance

Search

Booking in Advance

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booking in Advance

I'm going to France (first time) for 3 weeks in September of this year. My plan is to spend 8 nights in Paris, 10 nights in Nice (and the south) and return to Paris for my last 2 nights. My question has to do with my 8 nights in Paris: It's been suggested to me that I should really only book and confirm for my first two nights and then choose a hotel once I'm there if I don't like where I'm staying. I am considering this since I've also read a recent message posted about someone who did not like their hotel and were still made to pay for the whole reservation upon leaving early. It appears to be policy that hotels will not accept cancellations (even if 48 or 72 hours in advance)once you are checked in. i.e. if I were to cancel on the first night I arrive for the last 4 or 5 nights of my stay - I would still be charged? Anyway...should I risk it and book for only 2 nights or book for 8 and endure (if that's the case.)?
Thank you.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:12 AM

Hotels will tell you their individual policy in advance. I booked a trip myself for the first time, through little hotels I found here, 2 week trip to Paris this past April. Most hotels asked for 24-72 hours' notice for cancellation. I simply did not book at any hotel that required more. Out of courtesy, I gave as much notice as possible when I decided to take 2 overnight trips.I was in the under 75 euro/nt budget. I decided against a studio rental that had no flexibility at all. When I posted here about 9 nights in Paris, it was suggested that was a long time, and I that I might look at side trips. You may want a place that will give you that option. I would book for the whole time. Most places I corresponded with over the Internet, did to charge my credit card until arrival - ie a deposit. What do you mean by confirmed ( am I being dense?) What will you do if you don't like the hotel?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:40 AM

September is a very busy month in Paris because of the fashion and other shows that bring visitors from all over Europe. I'd strongly suggest that you book a hotel very soon and for the entire period of your stay--if you select a hotel that lots of people on this site like you'll have no need to switch hotels, which takes us precious time.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM

You should thoroughly research hotels now and book immediately (it's a high season then) for the entire stay.
Don't wait to arrive and find out you hate the hotel or have some misgivings because it is not so easy to book another room especially during high season. You'll end up wasting alot of time doing this not to mention how much it'll be frustrating.

Yes, hotels have in their cancellation policy what the penalties will be. Many give you from 24 hours to a few weeks to cancel without paying penalties. If you don't abide by their policies you will need to pay for at least one night's stay. Some even say that you'll get charged a certain percentage of the entire stay if you cancel.

But in your case say you book 8 nights and decide to shorten the stay by 6 nights I'm certain there will be a penalty for doing that. I've read cancellation policies of some hotels charging for not staying the entire stay.

You can't blame them as that is their income.

If you don't think you want to stay the entire 8 nights at one hotel you can break up your visit and stay a few nights at a different hotel to experience differnt neighborhoods.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:58 PM

I think you should just research hotels, make sure it's in an area you want, and then book it for 8 days. There shouldn't be any hotel that is so terrible that you will need to move if you do a little research, even if it isn't the hotel of your dreams. As others said, it will be extremely difficult or impossible for you to choose hotels at random once you are in Paris because if the time period. You will waste a lot of time roaming around checking out hotels to your taste, if you plan to do that. The only post on here that I think you are referring to was really unusual and was IMO the poster's own fault for not even knowing the correct address of where they wanted to stay (I don't think it was their fault that the hotel was not to their taste, just not even knowing where they wanted to book). I've never moved out of a hotel unexpectedly in Paris, so don't know what they would do if you gave only one day's notice, but you can book hotels with minimal notice time.

It isn't very pleasant to plan your vacation around assuming you are going to dislike your hotel and will spend your vacation time trying to move around to other hotels. You can waste a lot of time and energy doing that--don't count on their being some adorable wonderful cheap hotel just across the street with free rooms.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:18 PM

This strikes me as a really strange request, though I understand that you are committing to more than a full week in a single hotel. But if you do your research well, you'll end up at a place that's satisfactory at least.

As someone mentioned, September is a very busy month for Paris hotels. You won't be able to just check out of one and into another at whim. In all likelihood, you'll end up at a place that's LESS satisfactory than the initial one.

Check this board and others and settle on a hotel that's going to be OK for you. Once you're there, how are you going to find "better" accommodations anyway? And what makes you think there will be rooms available?

Make reservations now for the full 8 days and stick with it. There's more than enough hotel information on this site alone to help you make a decent choice.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 08:01 PM

It would be perfectly reasonable to book 4 nights in one hotel in one area and 4 nights in one hotel in another area. I guess that would distribute and lessen the risk of having the entire stay be at a terrible hotel, but I think the risk is small if sufficient research is done.

If the quality of the hotel is a real concern or the original poster has very specific requirements, consider going for a chain option, one with good reviews.

Based on what other posters have said, it might be advisable to ensure air conditioning in the hotel, even in September.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:23 PM

Hi, frenchpoodle,

I would definitely book all 8 nights in Paris in advance. As others have said, the start of September is fashion show time, and it can be very difficult to find hotels. (I booked a hotel a few years ago, and -- upon trying to reconfirm 3 weeks before my September trip -- found out that the hotel had screwed up my reservation. I subsequently faxed/emailed 30+ hotels and only 1 had rooms available for the few nights I'd be there. So, I'd definitely book ahead and use the information from this web site to book a good hotel).

Airconditioning would be a good thing. Though very hot weather is unusual, we had high 80s temperatures in 2000 in September in Paris -- and were very thankful we had a/c.

Happy travels.

John H.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I like the idea of booking at two hotels for 4 nights each. That way it changes my experience a little. Regardless...how much time does a person spend in their room anyway when their in Paris - dah!!!
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:39 PM
ira

>how much time does a person spend in their room anyway when their in Paris <

Honeymooners excepted.
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:10 PM

To Ira: