Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

CR--Need help with which activities in which locations

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had to cut down June CR vacation from two weeks to one because of an illness in our extended family. So, we cut out the Osa Peninsula and Tamarindo--maybe next trip, if there is one! So, our itinerary for this, our first trip, will be:

2 nights at the Costa Rica Marriott with one day of WW rafting on the Rio Pacuare in between those 2 nights
2 nights at Arenal--one at Arenal Paraiso and one at Tabacon
3 nights in Manuel Antonio
1 night at the CR Marriott before flying home.

There are 5 of us--ages 17, 19, 23, 50, and 53. We like active vacations and want to see as much as we can. Vegging on the beach is not a big draw for us as we live near the coast. In addition to spending some time at Tabacon's hot springs, some activities we're considering are zip-line canopy tour, hanging bridge-type canopy tour, ATV riding, hiking in the rainforest, and/or any other suggestions you might have. Which activities would you suggest that we do in which location? In other words, of the locations we'll be visiting, which is the best canopy tour? What would be the best location for ATV touring? Should we do the Cano Negro mangrove tour? That's near MA, correct? What is it like? Any help you can give me would be most appreciated--I'm really open to any and all ideas except fishing, snorkeling, and scuba diving.

What stops between the places we'll be staying are worthwhile? We will be driving a rental car (4 x 4). Is Sarchi worth a stop en route to Arenal? Any other possibilities?

Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Oops, am I confused? Is there a mangrove tour near MA, but Cano Negro is near Arenal? What do I have mixed up here?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:33 PM

LOL Cano Negro is a day tour out of Arenal. It is up in the northern part of CR near the border.
There is a mangrove tour out of Manuel Antonio.
Sorry you had to cut your trip short. Hope everything is well.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi Suzie--Thanks for setting me straight. I had time to do go back a bit farther on the board last night and realized I had meant Las Damas for the mangrove tour, correct?

I also found a post where you had recommended that most of the activities we're considering are best out of MA. Would you recommend a particular canopy tour? What about ATVs?

Would it be redundant to do the Las Damas mangrove tour, Cano Negro, and WW rafting on the Pacuare on such a short visit to CR?

Which activities should we make sure we do and where?

All is well with our immediate family, but a loved one's cancer has returned for the third time--this time in the brain--and we're afraid to plan to be away too long. I'm hoping to get to the Osa Peninsula some time in the future, though. Meanwhile, we're going to get trip insurance for this year. I'm praying we won't need it--for a number of reasons.

But, we're still really looking forward to the trip. As soon as I realized we'd be going for half as long, I upgraded some of our rooms since we are going to "save" so much money by going for a shorter time. LOL!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:15 AM

We took the Cano Negro boat tour in January. It was excellent both in terms of seeing a lot of animals and in the tour seteup. Of course, a lot depends on your guide, but all 4 of the guides we had on our various walks and excursions were capable, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:52 AM

I don't think those trips are redundant at all. They are all very different types of trips in very different areas of the country. It will be a good break for you. One thing about rafting first....if you really like it, you can go again out of Manuel Antonio on a different river!!
Sorry to hear about your loved one. I am sure there will be additional prayers sent from this board as well as mine. Pura Vida
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Best wishes to your family. My suggestion is take lots of pictures to share the experience with your family! It will be a much needed distraction! Good luck!

I'm going to CR in 2 weeks and want to do a similar zip line canopy, and jungle tours. I've heard be careful when WW rafting to be sure not swallow water, or you may spend less time on the zip line and more time in the bathroom line. Anyone know if there's truth to that myth?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Rufus--Is there only one company (with numerous guides) that does the Cano Negro tour or is there more than company? If so, which company did you go with?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 09:26 AM

In at least 7 rafting trips, I can't say that I actually swallowed water. If I did, it didn't hurt me. I suspect my husband may have last time (LOL he finally went out of the raft!) but he didn't get sick either.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

You have a point there, Suzie, about the ww rafting! We may find a regular boat trips too tame once we've tried the ww on the Pacuare! I have all your recommendations for ww companies, but if we do stick with the tamer Cano Negro and Damas mangrove tours afterwards, is there more than one company that does them? If so, any recommendations?

Also, thanks for your caring thoughts.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM

JoB--we booked the Cano Negro trip through our hotel, so I don't know the name of the company. But it was excellent. Of course, the purpose of a ww trip is totally different from the purpose of something like the Cano Negro trip. One is for the excitement of thrills, the other is for the excitement of seeing animals. One isn't superior to the other, just a different purpose. Sort of like the difference between zip lining in the canopy and taking a hike through the rain or cloud forest.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:41 PM

Do Fourtrax tour for ATV outside of Manuel Antonio, lots of fun. Get your own ATV do not do two people on one ATV
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rick--I have Fourtrax on my list!

In addition to hiking through the park, I'm also looking into the following inactivities in the MA area:

Isla Damas mangrove tour
Zip line canopy tour
Sunset boat cruise
Wave runner "safari" tours

Any recommendations from anyone regarding the best companies for any/all of the above?

Thanks again!