Search

GREAT VACATION IN CUBA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GREAT VACATION IN CUBA

My name is Leonard and I visited Cuba two months ago. It was a very extraordinary experience to meet so honest and open people. Cuba is like a museum, but with amazing characters moving around. I met a person (at the event I attended) who helped me a lot. He is a teacher and organized everything for me: lodging, tickets for buses to move on to another provinces, cheaper taxis, private rooms along the island and so on. He helped me a lot and I would like to help him now because his father has cancer. He does not have Internet and if you want any information about my experiences and feelings about this trip and him, you can send me an email to:
[email protected]
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Message to Leonard:

This is the third time that you have posted the same message over the past two months. The first version varied slightly in text, while the last two have been virtually identical, word for word.

What is your purpose in this? Unfortunately, this message has overtones of a solicitation message and perhaps if you explained your motives for this post we could offer some positive suggestions.

Steve
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:24 AM
mm

Why anyone would want to go to Cuba and support a dictator as nasty as Castro is beyond me. Secret police, repression, economic depravity. Nice place I'm sure!

I am also sure the Cuban people are very nice and I wish them the best.

And no I would not visit China or Syria or ...

MM
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 01:36 PM

MM you have an interesting point-of-view but if someone visits Cuba that doesn't mean they support Castro.

Using that logic if I visit New York that indicates I am a supporter of G W Bush - which I promise you I am not!

This world is becoming a much more dangerous place because of people making generalisations about a whole country based on information about it's leader.

This is the 21st century and the world is a very small place and we all have to live in it.

I agree that Castro is an undesirable dictator but I stayed at Sandals Royal Hicacos not in Fidel's house!

Sorry - but Cuba is a lovely place with lovely people. Its a great place to visit even if you don't like the leader of the country and the regime.

Would you avoid a visit to Paris if you didn't like Jacques Chirac?

I recommend Cuba (and particularly Havana) as somewhere that people should visit at least once as its so totally different from other caribbean islands.

Kind regards
Martin
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Very well said Martin. I echo your sentiments completely.

For sure I am not in agreement with the political system presently in force in Cuba. However I also believe that the embargo is NOT the way to engender change. I think that the interaction that occurs via tourist visits is a great agent leading to an eventual change in Cuba's governing system.

Every time I visit, and more prominently in repeat visits, ideas and opinions are exchanged with Cubanos, who are very curious about the way we live here in Canada. How democracy works with the free-form exchange of ideas and yes, even dissent. Not everyone in Canada, or any other country for that matter, agrees with their governing party and it's policies. But it is the peaceful interchange (and yes, even the right to demonstrate) of these ideas that continues to plant the seeds of eventual change in Cuban's minds.

When my Cuban friends say "Mi Casa es Su Casa" (My House is Your House), they have invited me into their homes and life, and over the years and visits trust has ensued. Several of my Cuban friends have emigrated to Canada as totally independent immigrants and it has been a marvelous experience to share my culture with them, as they have shared theirs. Because of this interchange, I can hop down to Havana and always have a place to stay in a private home. I even call one family my Cuban Mother & Father. I truly feel enriched by my travels to Cuba and will continue to visit.

For those who decry the Castro regime, please remember that those of us who visit, do so to experience and enjoy the people, culture, history and yes, the warm sunshine that makes La Isla Grande such a unique Caribbean destination. We are not there to support Castro, nor his policies.

thanks
Steve
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Steve,

I always love your comments on Cuba. While I have only been once, I plan to return again soon. I was there on a travel agent trip to look at hotels, but had lots of opportunity to chat with our tour director and bus driver. Both were highly educated men who loved thier countries. We had a chance to talk on our 8 hour drive to Cayo Coco from Varadero about all sorts of things. He spoke of growing up on a farm, going to school. We had a chance to meet his wife and children. He took us to a wonderful little restaurant. It was awsome. By not going to Cuba, people are hurting the locals, not Castro. so far Cuba is my fav Caribbean Island, and I can't wait to return.

Also to let you know Steve, your sunset picture of Cayo Largo is my wallpaper on my work computer, and my clients love it and ask where I got it. You web site was awsome
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Hello LissaJ:

So glad to hear from other folks who have also found Cuba to be a unique Caribbean destination. It is refreshing to know that others have also experienced the wonderful hospitality that the island provides.

I'm also happy that you enjoyed my website on my Cuban travels. I couldn't possibly imagine travelling without my trusty Nikon at the ready.

It's fine that you use my sunset as your wallpaper, and I'm really glad that you ejoyed the site, but just for accuracy sake, please note...... from the caption info below the photo on the website.

A tropical sunset over the Bahia de Siguanea, Isla de la Juventud, Cuba. The Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth) is the largest island in the Archipielago de los Cannareos off Cuba's southern coast.

This photo is of the Mojito Bar at the end of the pier located at the Colony Hotel, part of the International Scuba Diving Center on the island."

The photo was taken on the Isle of Youth (Isla de la Juventud) approximately 100 kilometres to the west of Cayo Largo. There are however Cayo Largo photos as well on the website.

Thanks for your reply, and if by fortune out paths cross in Cuba, I'll stand the first round of Mojitos.

Steve