Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boise to Phoenix - and back! Driving - the Scenic Tour!

Search

Boise to Phoenix - and back! Driving - the Scenic Tour!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip! Boise to Phoenix & back! UT, NV, AZ - Scenic/Photography - Tips?

Hi Travelers!

I'll be making a drive at the end of this week (with my SUV) from Boise to Phoenix and then I'll be making the return trip a few days later. On the way, I'll be stopping in Kingman, so I'll probably stop in Vegas for a day or two.

Factors:
1) Schedule completely flexible - including timeline, stays in various locations, etc.
2) Focus: scenery and photography
3) It's ok to take a 100-150 mile side trip, backtrack, etc - direct routes not necessary! Scenic/Photography over speed/time!

Looking for suggestions on routes and good stops (especially, the good 'lesser known' stops) and good places to stay (not hotels ... but towns, etc).

4 possible routes that I see... (and, the to/return routes can be swapped as needed ... very flexible!)

To:
Boise -> Ely -> Las Vegas -> Kingman -> Phoenix via Hwy 93
Boise -> Reno -> Vegas -> Kingman -> Phoenix via Hwy 95

Return:
Phoenix -> Page -> SLC -> Boise via I-17, Hwy 89 I-15
Phoenix -> Moab -> SLC -> Boise via I-17, Hwy 89, Hwy 160, Hwy 191, I-84

Again, TO will include Las Vegas (Red Rock Canyon) and Kingman. RETURN will include Page, AZ, Horseshoe Bend, Goosenecks State Park, maybe Arches, Grand Canyon.

What travel advice would you recommend - sites to see, routes to choose, places to photograph (from obvious choice like Antelope Canyon to an old house off the road to big canyons!). As I mentioned, traveling solo and I have NO timeline - need to be in Phoenix by Mar 5 and no timeline at all on the return. Could make it a 6 day trip or 16!

I would greatly appreciate all the feedback you might have! Bonus if you know some good hole in the wall places for a cold beer along the way!

THANKS!!

Last edited by jstephens_288; Feb 19th, 2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 06:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Near Ely you can see the Ruth Copper pit. You could go west on US 6 to see lunar crater. Past Black Rock Pass turn on Rt. 375 which is called the ET Highway. Take the time to drive across Hoover Dam. On the way back up, stop at the parking lot to walk out on the walkway on the big bridge. The apex of the bridge and the state line are marked on the walkway. It is a beautiful view of the dam from up there. The other thing to see in the LV area is Valley of Fire SP.
If you don't want to spend the night in Las Vegas, the Fiesta in Henderson or the Hoover Dam Lodge have good food and beer.
You have some great photo chances in Sedona. See if you want to detour on the old Rt. 66 out of Kingman to see the Grand Canyon Caverns. The old 66 will bring you out to the Interstate at Seligman (se-LIG-man).
If you want go into southern AZ, try for the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 08:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
A little further south of Phoenix is Saguaro National Park. That was the highlight of my trip last May. I was there again last week but only had time for a drive through and it was raining so no photo ops. Also went to Sedona, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend etc last May. Great trip.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomfuller
Near Ely you can see the Ruth Copper pit. You could go west on US 6 to see lunar crater. Past Black Rock Pass turn on Rt. 375 which is called the ET Highway. Take the time to drive across Hoover Dam. On the way back up, stop at the parking lot to walk out on the walkway on the big bridge. The apex of the bridge and the state line are marked on the walkway. It is a beautiful view of the dam from up there. The other thing to see in the LV area is Valley of Fire SP.
If you don't want to spend the night in Las Vegas, the Fiesta in Henderson or the Hoover Dam Lodge have good food and beer.
You have some great photo chances in Sedona. See if you want to detour on the old Rt. 66 out of Kingman to see the Grand Canyon Caverns. The old 66 will bring you out to the Interstate at Seligman (se-LIG-man).
If you want go into southern AZ, try for the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.
Thanks Tom!! Interesting placed on the way through Nevada - didn't have too much noted for this route!

And, I'll check out Hoover Dam - thanks for the tips.

Good info ... looking forward to the drive!
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sundowner
A little further south of Phoenix is Saguaro National Park. That was the highlight of my trip last May. I was there again last week but only had time for a drive through and it was raining so no photo ops. Also went to Sedona, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend etc last May. Great trip.
Appreciate the advice sundowner! I didn't think there was as much to see once I hit Phoenix - I'll check this out! Good place to see a cactus, it seems! Cool.

Thanks!!
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 06:07 AM

There is a helicopter tour that takes off from a little hill next to the parking lot of the Hoover Dam Lodge if you want some good photos of Hoover Dam and what is left of Lake Meade.
After you go through the security checkpoint going down to the dam, go across the dam to the Arizona side. The second and third parking areas are free. Stay away from the parking garage on the Nevada side.
The Organ Pipe cactus is quite different from the Saguaros. Watch out for the little low cacti while walking around - No sandals!
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 06:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
tomfuller - after seeing your post I told my daughter there is a new cactus we need to see.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 10:09 PM

If you use viaMichelin and specify the discovery route, i.e. scenic route, it will take you down U.S. 93 all the way to Las Vegas.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 12:12 AM

Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 12:12 AM

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 02:47 AM

Obviously you will have to keep and eye out for bad weather and be prepared to stop or change direction if needed. Always have food and water in the car and fill the tank any time it gets below half and you see a station. Try to drive in daylight to more easily avoid deer, elk, antelope, cattle and horses that we've seen in the area. There are some "open range" areas where the cattle seem to find the grass along the edge of the road very inviting.

I agree that while near Vegas, visit Valley of Fire State Park. If you head out of Vegas by going north a very short way on I-15, look for the brown sign for VoF, stop and take pictures and then head through. You come out near Lake Meade and can drive around to Hoover Dam then be on your way to Grand Canyon.

Do go to Moab for both Arches and Canyonlands. If you want to see some pictures (they are mixed but labeled) you can look at my flickr site www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 07:42 AM

About 20-25 miles north of Moab east of US 191 is a dirt road out to Copper Ridge where you can see and photo dinosaur tracks in stone. I never would have known that without doing an earthcache and a physical geocache out there.
I also found a geocache about 100 yards east of the east boundary of Arches NP. Delicate Arch is a great earthcache.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 05:09 PM

I definitely recommend stopping in Valley of Fire State Park. North on I-15 it is exit 75; it is 18 miles from there to the very nice Visitor Center. You can get a park map and drive to the White Domes trailhead, with a number of short hikes along the way. IMHO it is a hidden gem! We love it.