Seafood along Stamford-Mystic CT I-95 Corridor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2018, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations/advice for best seafood (fresh, steamed/broiled, variety of shell/fish) along the Block Island Sound area with outdoor patios/deck for water views. Will be travelling in mid-May so prefer al fresco dining with the Sound views rather than rivers but... the quality of food is most important so if an inland recommendation is outstanding in your mind, please don't hesitate to recommend.
Thank you for any help you can provide to us since we are looking for that memorable experience of great seafood with an outstanding view.
mryan1974
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 07:02 AM

this might fit your needs

https://dogwatchcafe.com/dog-watch-cafe/
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There are several seafood spots in Noank, CT (Mystic is part of Noank and Stonington). These two are probably the most famous. Neither is what I would call fine dining, but they are on the water and offer more than fried clams. If you try the clam chowder in this area, go for the clear. broth version.

Abbott's Lobster in Noank, CT - Seafood

Ford?s Lobster Restaurant ? Noank, Connecticut ? Seafood & More

There is a branch of Lenny and Joe's Fish Tales in New Haven. It's near the harbor but I do not know if there are sea views -- not that New Haven harbor is particularly scenic. I always stop at their Madison, CT restaurant, which is neither on the water nor famous for steamed or broiled food. Their lobster roll is killer though (CT style, warm with melted butter).
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you are willing to diverge a bit from I-95, there are two restaurants in Rhode Island which might suit you better. The Ocean House in Watch Hill has a wonderful view (if you happen to be a teenage girl you can peek at Taylor Swift's house down the block. I know, big thrill, huh?). https://www.oceanhouseri.com/about

The have a sister property in Weekapaug, the next town inland Weekapaug Inn :: Home, with lovely views of Quonochontaug Pond -- a salt pond or lagoon connected to the ocean. Weekapaug Inn :: Home

Both offer considerably more sophisticated menus.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 08:24 AM

In addition to those mentioned:

For Water views in Mystic part of Stonington:
R36 - on the river in the boat yard at the end of Cottrel St. - fun modern vibe has an outside deck
The Oyster House - on the river right next to the bridge - traditional - noisy - some outside seating
You can get a view of the sound from the restaurant at the Inn at Mystic if you eat on the deck

In the Burrough part of Stonington
The Breakwater - kind of behind the Stonington In on the harbor

There are two Dog Watch locations one on rt1 in Mystic - mostly barbecue- one in Dodson's boat yard in the Burrough

Most of the restaurants in both areas will have locally sourced seafood if it is available. By the way look for the "tilapia is not seafood" bumper stickers on the fishermen's trucks.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 08:54 PM

well i have no suggestions for you sadly, as i dont know the place but i love sea food
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 02:44 AM

Years ago we made it to Abbott's. It's very casual but the view is nice. And who wants a lobster roll in a fancy place that sometimes sneaks something like curry powder in if you get the mayo version of a lobster roll.