Do you know this area in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

le quartoer de la place de rungis? I’ve just booked an apartment here, it’s just outside or in the 13th arondissement from what I can see. I’m going with my 2 teenage kids and husband, will have a car. What type of area is it? How easy to get to main tourist attractions by metro etc and are there restaurants shops etc any places of interest in this area? Also is it safe at night? Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated, first time to Paris.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to Fodors. The spam blocker software will block you from posting for 24 hours. During that time, get ready to answering questions that surely will appear here. For instance, is the rental legal? Did the owner post a registration number? Since it is already booked, can you give us the link to the apartment, which will help immensely in answering your questions? Of course, someone is bound to say that the answers should have been obtained before booking, unless the booking has a free cancellation available. A quick Google for a map shows the nearest metro stops are about 2 km away, but I presume there are busses. You will need busses and metro to get to the usual tourist attractions. Using Google including street view will allow you to see the locale and can plot out restaurant locations. I will offer the opinion that the outer 13th is not usually recommended for first time visitors who want to have fastest access to the usual tourist attractions.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 04:27 PM

First, is there any possibility of canceling this reservation or moving it to another apt. the agency represents (if you used an agency)? If so cancel and look for another closer in.

My first visit to Paris I stayed out of the center and it turned out OK but I didn't end up loving Paris until my second trip staying on the rue de Seine. My budget wasn't any bigger but I learned the hard way. The outlying hotel meant a lot of Metro traveling time to get where we wanted to go. We were partly on a tour which made getting to Versailles easy but there was no thought of going back to the apt. for a rest in the afternoon then strolling to dinner and viewing monuments lit up at night.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 04:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What are you going to use a car for? If you are staying in Paris you don't want a car. Perhaps for a day trip out of the city -- but most can be done by train.

But most importantly IS the property legal and does the listing include the city registration number? The vast majority aren't/don't.

Lots of people like to stay in outer neighborhoods -- which is fine, but that isn't and area I'd want to stay on a short visit.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 10:41 PM

If this is your first trip to Paris, I would probably cancel the reservation and rebook elsewhere. If possible I would look for an apartment to rent on Ile Saint Louis, the Upper Marais, or the Latin Quarter---all of these will put you in easy walking distance of the sights, the Marais and the Latin Quarter both have great food, and all will be more reasonably priced than the accomodations near the Louvre etc
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you 😊

Originally Posted by trailandtide
If this is your first trip to Paris, I would probably cancel the reservation and rebook elsewhere. If possible I would look for an apartment to rent on Ile Saint Louis, the Upper Marais, or the Latin Quarter---all of these will put you in easy walking distance of the sights, the Marais and the Latin Quarter both have great food, and all will be more reasonably priced than the accomodations near the Louvre etc
thank you that’s really useful, our budget isn’t huge so was trying to find something reasonably priced and this was one of the nicest cleanest at a good price for the week. I will look at the areas you suggest. That will help a lot 👍
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We are staying in the 2nd right now and it has so many places to eat, drink and shop. Many metro stops. I do think the last time for a rental in Paris. I said it. I will be notifying my agency once my key refund is given back. We had a herd of elephants above us and a guy who said our fan kept him awake below us. You could only do laundry during the day but we have a nice laundry across the street. I do love having a kitchen for breakfast and making huge salads from the fresh produce. We are off Rue Montorgueil and it is a feast for produce, fish and veggies. Great bakeries. The cafes are heaven for drinking a coffee or having a drink and people watching. No car is needed. Do get a museum pass.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 03:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
On the positive side, it is one of the greener areas of Paris near the very nice Parc Montsouris and the spectacular Cité Universitaire student zone. You nearest transportation would probably be the Cité Universitaire RER station which would take you to the center of the city in just a few minutes. Tramway line 3a is also good for getting around the southern edge of the city.

Parking would be much easier in the Place de Rungis area than anywhere more central!
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 03:18 AM

I don't know the area you are asking about.
A nice area a bit further outside than what has been suggested so far is around the Canal Saint Martin. Probably not as cheap as what you found, but might be worth looking at.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 05:04 AM

This interactive guide to public transit will show how easily (or not) you can gain access to the Metro etc. https://www.ratp.fr/en
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 05:11 AM

Yes, I know the area. It's right next to the beautiful Cite Floreal which I visit often for the flowers. There are lovely pictures at the foot of this Wiki article.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cit%C3%A9_florale

If you're a movie goer, the family in the movie Cache lived in this area. It's quiet yes, and to the south are giant high rise complexes so you might want to name the exact street and do a google walk in the area. The high rises are pretty desolate. Also close is the charming area around Place d'Abbe G. Henocque

You would have to decide whether or not staying here is worth the time it will take you to get to the "main attractions." If this were my second or third visit to Paris, I'd probably not leave the area because there is so much to see. One of Paris' Chinatowns, villagy like housing, Buttes aux Cailles, to name only a few of the places on my visit list. But for a first visit?

Last edited by Envierges; Feb 19th, 2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>our budget isn’t huge so was trying to find something reasonably priced<<

What is your actual budget? Do be careful about renting an illegal apartment.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 08:46 AM

I stayed there one summer as I lived in the Cite Universitaire. All these dire threats, I thought it was out around Orly, the real Rungis!

The area is fine, the only problem is you aren't very close to a metro stop, which you could tell before booking on a map. You should always look at that, metro and RER stations, they show up on Google maps if you just Google the address of the place. It's about 1 km to Maison BLanche metro stop or Tolbiac, about the same (I"d go to Tolbiac, if course, as it is closer to what you'd be going to), and also about the same to Cite Universitaire if you want the RER instead, it's a bit closer. There is a good street market on that street, in fact, it ends at place de Rungis on rue Bobillot (Tu and Fri monrings). there are other markets nearby on other days, also. And you are near Buttes-aux-Cailles, sort of an interesting small neighborhood. In fact, you are only about 300 meters to the tramline but that isn't going to get you into the center, anyway, just around Paris.

In fact, it wouldn't be terrible as there are a couple bus lines that go pretty close to that location, closer than the metro/RER. Line 21 goes up through Latin Qtr and islands to Gare St lazare, line 57 runs up rue des Peupliers. line 67 goes right by place de Rungis to the center and then up north, this ios it's plan/schedule
67.pdf

In short I don't think it's such a bad area but I know it and for someone who has never been to Paris at all, maybe not the best.

But you already booked it anyway, right? Maybe should have asked before you booked. I don't really understand how you can just get out of something you already booked, usually you cannot with apartments. And with a car, staying in the center will be really problematic. Personally, I'd deal with it and stay there, I don't think it's that bad. But I don't know if you would like it or not or what you expect or why you even have a car with you.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the informative replies👌👍

Having read through all the responses I have looked at some of the areas suggested and decided to stay with our original booking based on all your feedback. To answer some questions, we have a car as were driving from England and we’d like to drive to Versailles and have look a bit outside the city too at the country. I did look at the maps and stops in google before booking but thought it would be useful to get feedback from”locals”, there was not much information I could locate easily on the area itself and whether you would need to have many changes on the metro or busses as you do in London. We are happy to do lots of walking but always consider safety, unfortunately being South African we are generally naturally always on high alert for possible threats or unsafe areas as this is something we experience daily there, always need to be vigilant. I really appreciate all your feedback and sorry cannot respond to each as this site keeps telling me I can only make 2 posts in 24 hours. So thank you again and we look forward to exploring Paris, our little area we’ll be staying in and also some areas in the surrounding countryside😊🎉
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the informative replies👌👍

Having read through all the responses I have looked at some of the areas suggested and decided to stay with our original booking based on all your feedback. To answer some questions, we have a car as were driving from England and we’d like to drive to Versailles and have look a bit outside the city too at the country. I did look at the maps and stops in google before booking but thought it would be useful to get feedback from”locals”, there was not much information I could locate easily on the area itself and whether you would need to have many changes on the metro or busses as you do in London. We are happy to do lots of walking but always consider safety, unfortunately being South African we are generally naturally always on high alert for possible threats or unsafe areas as this is something we experience daily there, always need to be vigilant. I really appreciate all your feedback and sorry cannot respond to each as this site keeps telling me I can only make 2 posts in 24 hours. So thank you again and we look forward to exploring Paris, our little area we’ll be staying in and also some areas in the surrounding countryside😊🎉