Search

Naxos or Milos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2018, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naxos or Milos

Now that I have eliminated Hydra from my Greek vacation plans, I have another question.

From Santorini, would you choose to spend 3/4 days in Naxos or Milos?

Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 05:45 AM

While both islands are nice Naxos is far better, larger, more to do and has something for everyone.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 06:06 AM

The 2 Islands are both fine, but very different. All depends on your interests and preferencies. May be you will have a look at
https://www.greeka.com/cyclades/milos/
https://www.greeka.com/cyclades/naxos/
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 08:18 AM

Johnny, we can advise better with more key info such as: • Exact trip dates • How do you want to return to Mainland, ferry? flight? time vs. Cost factor • R u Willing to rent car? Naxos has extensive bus system, Milos bus service minimal. Naxos has many hiking options, Milos has 22 beaches. Look at neckervd's links, learn more. Asking us what WE would do does not necessrily suit what you'd want.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi travelerjan,

We are going to Greece in July, and we would either ferry or fly back to the mainland depending on flight schedules and number of stops back from the island we are at and we will be renting a car wherever we are so we are better able to explore.

We love small, quaint towns, especially seaside ones, interested in history and seeing historic sites and we love to spend time at gorgeous beaches, either for a full day or stopping at smaller, less busy ones as we explore by car.

Of course everyone has different interests, but that is the reason I am asking, so I can get a feel for what each traveller enjoyed about either island.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:47 AM

In MILOS there are no BIG towns ... Adamas the port village, is fair-size, with an interesting huge Knob area at center (volcanic) ... its beach is N.G. to be charitable. we stayed in Pollonia, which is a small village but which has amenities such as bakery, several small groceries, several tavernas including a really good fish taverna. It's right on a pretty good sandy beach, and as I said there are many more. The biggest choice of restaurants is in Adamas, and any night life ... the drawback to Pollonia would be having dinner & lots of wine In Adamas, or going to a club, then having to drive back on dark roads. A big unique attraction is opportunity for a day-sail half-round or all-round the island--- many volcanic structure can only be seen from the sea, and there are many coves to stop in , for swims & BBQs. Boats line up before dinner in Port, you walk along, talk to captains, make your choice. Our party split - 2 went on a small sailboat going round whole island, hoping to crew. 3 of us went on a half-round cruise on a large catamaran. We made the best choice -- on a windy day, the small boat had to drop sail & go via motor the whole time, no fun --and little time to stop. Our biggie was under sail most of the time, and we had ample time to swim and have a picnic. In mid-summer there are large "party boats" with 50+ passengers, mainly a drinkathon I believe. Your choice.

NAXOS as I said, has a much better bus system, so no extensive car rental needed. All the tourist accommodations are either in the port town, in its adjacent shallow (but good) beach, Ag Giorgios, Or strung along the sandy beaches that stretch about 15 - 18 Km down the southwest coast - Ag. Prokopios, Ag Anna, Plaka, Mikra Vigli, etc. I do NOT recommend Ag Anna in July, because beach is narrow, gets very crowded and is lined with tavernas playing loud music. Ag. Prokopios has largest beach, many facilities. ALL beaches are "Blue Flag" (certified top for water quality). Advantage of naxos is that you can have best of 2 worlds stay at a far beach, enjoy attractions of town. U take bus in to Port town for dinner & drinks, then bus back, no driving responsibiilties. It is fun to rent a car for 1-2 days just to zoom all over the island and enjoy its dramatic inland landscapes, hilltop villages (yes very "quaint" but no hotels), mountains of MARBLE, vineyards, farms ... inland a few miles, you are away from tourism, just Naxians living their lives. Naxos town itself is fascinating, a winding "Maze" agora lane that rises, via "stairstep" flagstone paving, to a height that overlooks town and sea, with Venetian architecture and a massive Kastro (castle) complete with windows & cannon. Its tiny museum has priceless treasure in the worlds-Largest collection of he pre-history marble "statuettes" whose mysterious meaning has never been unlocked. Also, Naxos sunset, seen (and photo'd) through its massive Arch on a causeway, is something special.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, travelerjan. Great summary and I will visit Naxos instead as it seems to have more to see and do.

Have you ever been to Rhodes?
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Yes, as it happens, I have been to Rhodes ... however do you already have it on your itinerary? I'm not going to do a whole descript of same if you just have idle curiosity and haven't done any research yet.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 08:28 PM

It will be easier to go between Santorini and Naxos than between Santorini and Rhodes. I have done the latter by overnight ferry, but it only goes three days a week. You can go to Naxos any day you choose.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you artsnletters. I realize that it would be longer to travel to Rhodes from Santorini than to Naxos, but with my itinerary open and able to be changed, what I have seen of Rhodes looks even more interesting than Naxos and may be worth the extra time to get there. If you have been to Rhodes, would it be worth it?

And Travelerjan, isn't idle curiosity the thing that makes planning a trip fun and exciting and makes people more knowledgable about the world around them? If you don't want to quickly summarize or share your experience in Rhodes, that's ok. I hope others will.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 10:15 AM

If the schedule of the overnight ferry works for you, it's a great option. It's a very comfortable ship, and a cabin doesn't cost much, so you can sleep in a real bed (and they have showers too!) and not lose a day of sightseeing to ferry travel.

Rhodes was my favorite island, but that's my taste. I didn't think much of Santorini - was there for two days, took lots of photos, won't be going back, although many others love it, so YMMV. Rhodes is a large island and there is something of everything: crusader fortress, walled town, pretty beaches, whitewashed village (at least one, Lindos, didn't see any others), some classical ruins and some from farther back. Lots of great scenery and unbelievably blue sea. I rented a car one day and went down the west side of the island as far as Monolithos, and I took the bus to Lindos (on the east side). If I'd had another day, I think I'd have kept the car and gone down the east side of the island to the tip, and I could have spent more time in and around Rhodes Town. I spent four days and expect to return on my next trip to Greece.

You will want to fly from Rhodes to Athens - the ferry is an all-day affair.

Last edited by artsnletters; Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much artsnletters. Although some of the islands in the Cyclades look really nice, there is something about Rhodes that makes us want to go there. Your summary was very helpful.

One thought we now have is to stay within the Dodecanese. A flight from Athens (where we will be staying a few days) to Rhodes is inexpensive and short (about an hour nonstop) and we can ferry between the islands that surround Rhodes. Would you have any recommendations on which islands to visit in the Dodecanese? I have done some research and cannot decide.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:30 PM

I haven't been to any other islands in the Dodecanese, so can't advise.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I will start a new thread then. Thanks for your help!!
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:43 PM

Just noticed you are going in July. Be braced for suffocating crowds. Rhodes was fairly busier than Santorini and Mykonos when I was there in May, which is off season. Rhodes Town and Lindos will be swamped with people in high season. When I was at Lindos, I could see how it could be nearly miserable when crowded. But you are going to have crowd problems everywhere you go.

If you do go to Rhodes, I can recommend the MedievalInn in the old town. It is a modest establishment, but has a very friendly and welcoming staff who will make you feel like family, and an outstanding breakfast.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. If we go a little earlier, say late June to early July, would it be less busy? Is the sea temperature warm enough to swim?
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 02:51 PM

The earlier you can go, the better.

I see that travelerjan on your other thread says that the three-times-a-week Santorini-Rhodes ferry may have been cancelled. If so, you may be forced to make a decision about whether you want to see Santorini or Rhodes more and forgo the other.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 10:25 PM

Travelerjan is a little out of date re Blue Star, which resumes the route this year.
https://www.bluestarferries.com/en/t...ntent-category
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 05:27 AM

Thanks Heimdall, I had not yet gone back to the Blue Star website .. that IS good news! I thought it was stupid to drop the only efficient sea connection between these 2 island groups.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 09:28 AM

1. The 3times a week overnight ferry Santorini - Kos - Rhodos will run again this summer; the much slower FB Prevelis which runs via Anafi - Karpathos - Chalki too (twice wekly).

2. The old cities of Rhodos and Lindos are regularly overrun when Cruise boats are in the harbour.

3. I was at Rhodos in the first week of August last year and had no problems with crowds. Just avoid the Western part of the walled city for dinner (the restaurants in the East, beginning with Nireas, are better anyway). Avoid the whole coast from Rhodos via Faliraki up to Kolymbia and the hotel zones around Lindos and you will be fine.
The scenic Stegna beach is never crowded, neither the better Tsambika and Agathi beaches (with full tourist infrastructure).

4. I visited all Dodecanissos lslands, without any exception. But I don't think that you will have time for other Islands than Rhodos.