connecting through SJU ?

Search

connecting through SJU ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
connecting through SJU ?

Hey guys - need some advice here. We are looking at flying into STT and can connect through MIA, ATL, or SJU. The flights (jetblue) through SJU offer the best prices - by far ($300ish cheaper). Should we be concerned ?

also, we are considering making it an overnight - leaving EWR at 7 or 8pm - land in SJU 12am (ish) - stay in the airport hotel and then take an early (7ish) flight out the next morning. Any reason we should or should not do that ? We wouldn't plan on leaving the airport and the airport hotel looks fine and within the terminal.

Thoughts ? Or should we just stick with a normal connecting flight through MIA ?
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 07:39 AM

SJU is up and running as is San Juan, the city. If you could stay just a little longer, taking a 2 or 3 pm flight, you could go to Old San Juan for a couple of hours in the morning. It's really beautiful.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 08:18 AM

Agree, no worries when connecting at SJU. Airport hotel there is convenient and reasonably priced but has very basic accommodations.

Connecting through MIA or ATL on your way to STT will also be relatively easy.

If connecting through SJU on your return you’ll find that much easier/efficient than connecting MIA which can be crowded and a bit of a zoo. Most savvy travelers will tell you to avoid if possible especially if traveling on weekends.

Connecting through ATL on your return will be about the same as connecting through SJU.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the thoughts! makes me feel better... I also like the idea of avoiding the zoo that is Miami on the return.

next for hotels: we will be arriving in SJU at either midnight or 2am (depends on which flight we take). While I like the idea, I don't know if we will want to take the time to head into Old San Juan the next morning - we may just catch the flight to STT.

The ease of the airport hotel is walking. I don't mind basic... I just am not crazy about unclean. Any personal experiences or recommendations ?

thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 09:05 AM

The SJU hotel is clean but basic - don’t expect luxury.

Other off airport hotels that a within a 7 to 10 minute taxi ride are:

Embassy Suites
Intercontinental
Hampton Inn & Suites
El San Juan
Ritz Carlton
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 11:14 AM

We also try to avoid coming home through Miami. That being said, we chose to fly through Atlanta last year on our return from Jamaica to Boston. I'm glad we had a 2+ hour layover because we needed every minute of it. Passport control wasn't too bad but going through security was brutal. They didn't have all the x-ray machines staffed and there must have been a large number of planes arriving when ours did. It took a very long time.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Personally, I would much rather connect through Miami than San Juan. If you want to take a break and actually STAY in Old San Juan for a couple of days, well, that's different. It is like no where else in the Caribbean...

From St Thomas, you will go through Customs and Immigration in St Thomas, not in Miami.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RoamsAround
The SJU hotel is clean but basic - don’t expect luxury.

Other off airport hotels that a within a 7 to 10 minute taxi ride are:

Embassy Suites
Intercontinental
Hampton Inn & Suites
El San Juan
Ritz Carlton
El San Juan and Ritz Carlton remain closed and are not expected to re-open anytime soon. Not sure about the other hotels listed but agree that they are almost as convenient as staying at the airport hotel. All of them are literally is a 5 minute taxi ride away.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 01:24 AM

I would connect at 2 anyway. The thought of arriving at midnight and getting up 4 hours later (if that, you have to collect luggage, etc) will make you worthless all day. And you still have to pay hotel.

Frankly unless connecting later (this might add to the price anyway) for me sounds like a waste of time just to save a couple hundred

travel is tiring anyway

although ATL is a huge airport, I do prefer it to MIA. But keep in mind customs will be at STTso shouldn’t be a deal breaker anyway
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all for thoughts. After discussing it and looking at the options, we decided that taking a late flight and staying in SJU just didn't make sense. We only get there a few hours earlier, and the price is virtually the same. I am also a believer that the last flight of the day can be problematic sometimes and has a higher chance of getting cancelled (no scientific data, maybe just my bad luck?). I think we'll save San Juan and PR for another time after they have had more time to recover.

So, we have decided to take jetblue from EWR - connect through SJU (1 1/2 hours - should be long enough?) and on to STT.

I'll come back with a trip report when we return!
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surfmom
thanks to all for thoughts. After discussing it and looking at the options, we decided that taking a late flight and staying in SJU just didn't make sense. We only get there a few hours earlier, and the price is virtually the same. I am also a believer that the last flight of the day can be problematic sometimes and has a higher chance of getting cancelled (no scientific data, maybe just my bad luck?). I think we'll save San Juan and PR for another time after they have had more time to recover.

So, we have decided to take jetblue from EWR - connect through SJU (1 1/2 hours - should be long enough?) and on to STT.

I'll come back with a trip report when we return!
I think that was a good choice. One and a half hours to connect should be plenty of time. Where are you staying in St. Thomas?