Buenos Aires-Park Hyatt Hotel

Old Feb 12th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buenos Aires-Park Hyatt Hotel

Today I booked it for three nights in March 2019 for our pre-cruise stay. I did it as a placeholder. I would love to get opera tickets at the Teatro Colon but am not even sure if there are performances in the summer and their website was inaccessible today anyway.

Some friends have invited us to join them for some day tours: city tour, Tigres Delta, and something called "Gaucho Day" which sounds interesting.

Now I have to figure out if that Hyatt is where we really want to stay. I somehow have trouble bringing myself to stay in a hotel which overlooks a freeway (the Four Seasons) and perhaps that is stupid because we have done that very thing in Tokyo but that was populated-to-the-max Japan.

Where is the "charm" (that would be charming with air conditioning BTW); where is the place with some resident domesticated animal on the prowl? the one with the "Evita Peron" room? The one with the absolutely "locally sourced breakfast cereal" (someone on TA actually complained about a BA hotel that didn't have it; how do you know for sure?)

Suggestions appreciated unless thou art too engaged in office paperwork and thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I mentioned previously, my friend stayed in one of the modern rooms in the new tower and that one room was the only one I visited. But there MAY be options to stay in the old Palace, as I see references to "Palace Units." We did walk through some of the lower levels of the Palace which has some of the old world ambiance, as do some of the onsite dining options.

FWIW he mentioned using loyalty points and/or some military rates. The room was very nice, btw, although modern.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

There are few, if any, rooms listed on the Hyatt website which are specifically designated as "palace" rooms. I suppose I could add a request but you know how that often ends up: you sometimes get what is available when you show up.

In the past we have stayed at a particular Swiss hotel which designates which room is in which of the two hotel wings along with the usual view description.

Anyway I'll keep investigating and watching the reviews.

I did manage to access the Colon website finally and learned there are opera performances in the month of March which is an encouraging development.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 07:41 AM

Dukey:

Odd enough, the Four Seasons was originally a Park Hyatt. I have stayed at the Four Seasons twice and both times had lovely views overlooking the pool.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Weekender,

Thank you for the comment. We have friends who stayed in the FS when they were in BA and they loved the hotel. I have also been looking at it as a possibility. Rates seem somewhat comparable to the PH so now am looking into other aspects of both properties.

I have also done a search for hotels in BA on this forum. Lots of "information" and a few tangents about food quality in the city itself; the usual "safety" concerns, etc., etc.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 08:18 AM

I should think that Park Hyatt has some kind of concierge service that can guarantee your room choice if you contact them directly?
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgb
I should think that Park Hyatt has some kind of concierge service that can guarantee your room choice if you contact them directly?
Very possible and if we do stay there I will email them and enquire about opera tickets, too
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 01:42 AM

The Alvear Palace (owned by a local family) is on the same quality level and in the same elegant part of town as the Hyatt and the Four Seasons. Their concierge should certainly be able to get tickets for the Colón. I´m not sure you would enjoy a "Gaucho day". It´s as touristy as touristy can be. But, then, you ARE tourists. Have a great time in my town.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Avrooster, glad you are here and LOL re the "Gaucho Day" comment. Yes, I am certain it is a total "tourist thing" (I wonder if the people involved are even gauchos but I bet they look great) but I think we'll enjoy it. As to the Palace: yes I have also looked at that and initially I was drawn to it and I still am. The reason I reserved the Hyatt when I did was because I have points with Hyatt and their booking calendar for our dates was already open.

My other question for you is about money. I recall in the past you have posted extensively about money exchange issues and I found that info helpful. I gather these days things have changed somewhat. Normally, we would use a local ATM to get cash and charge most things on a credit card. I usually do not use currency exchanges because I know when they charge little or no commission they give a poorer exchange rate and when they give a better exchange rate the commission goes up.

I prefer to use ATMs to get money and do you think that is the best approach?

Thank you
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 02:51 AM

Because of the nature of my business, I'm extremely busy on Fridays, Saturdays and even Sundays. So, I'll probably answer at length on Monday, which is ideal for me, as it is a US holiday and I'm quite free.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Given what has been posted on other threads perhaps nothing further is necessary.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:50 AM

I worked at the Alvear in the 90's and still have some friends there.

I suggest you write to [email protected] give them your phone number, ask them to call you and I'm sure you'll be able to reserve for March 2018.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 10:05 AM

Now, about the money questions: Yes, the huge difference between the official and black market exchange rates no longer exists.

But, Argentina is a cash economy and you can often get discounts for paying in cash. And then, there is the question of the expenses charged by ATMs.

So, I would bring cash dollars and exchange them at the place described here: https://www.tripadvisor.com.ar/ShowU...ECK_RATES_CONT

But I know Americans don't feel comfortable carrying cash, so it's up to you.

The Alvear's concierge can get you most ANYTHING you could need in BA (at a price, of course), including tickets for the Colón, but it is probably too early for that.

For transportation to and from the airport, I usually suggest contacting [email protected] She speaks English and her rates are competitive. She can also act as a guide.

Have a great time in my town, Dukey1. Anything else I can do for you?
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Avrooster,

thank you for this additional information which is very helpful. I will certainly look at the ALvear Palace when its booking calendar opens; it is, in some ways, the sort of hotel I enjoy staying in.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 12:46 PM

I feel it is much better to contact Reservations now rather than wait for their booking calendar to open for your dates, but you are an extremely experienced traveler, so it's your call.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 04:46 AM

Hi Dukey
We enjoyed tea at the Alvear when we lived in BA and the Hyatt also has a fabulous garden that is like an oasis in that noisy city but my husband and I preferred the more private "boutique" hotels in the city. When we moved back to the US .. we "lived" in the Sileo Hotel in Recoleta for almost 2 weeks .. it is a great way to visit a city and yet feel like you are living there ..
Look at maps provided on the hotel websites and see where the building is located , big highway/traffic etc ..
I can't wait to go back .. I hope you fall in live with BA the way we did.
Unfortunately "Charm" is often found in crumbly buildings in less than ideal locations LOL
You sort of can't go wrong with Recoleta. The location is perfect for seeing the rest of town .. the shops and restos etc If you are walkers... you can walk from Recoleta to Palermo Botanico .. along the parks .. a beautiful days walk and plenty of stops for coffee/whatever

Last edited by Scarlett; Feb 20th, 2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and my apologies for not having responded much sooner than this. I am not yet quite wedded to the Hyatt and while I have sometimes emailed hotels and asked about rooms despite their booking calendar not being opened (and, as a result of the email usually been rewarded positively) in this case I am going to wait just a bit longer since we are talking about a pre-cruise stay in March of 2019.

Right now we are planning to stay three nights (and the ship will be berthed in BA for an additional night prior to departure) and I am trying to figure out if, for us, a couple of additional nights might be advised. I realize nobody can say, for certain, what will appeal but appreciate all the BA-related posts I have read by yourself and others as those all help in the decision-making process.

This is one city I am honestly not certain we may ever return to. Given current in-home circumstances I suspect the return, if it happens at all, may only involve one person so it becomes more important to get this "right" I suppose.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice all of which are appreciated.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 03:57 AM

De nada
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 05:29 AM

Thank you for the comment. We have friends who stayed in the FS when they were in BA and they loved the hotel. I have also been looking at it as a possibility. Rates seem somewhat comparable to the PH so now am looking into other aspects of both properties.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 05:17 AM

| Teatro Colón

here is the Colon Opera House schedule

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -