Restaurants in the 5th -

Search

Restaurants in the 5th -

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in the 5th -

We are staying in Guest Apartments - Alyssum Apartment. I have already ensured they have an official registration number - so we are all set there. We will be in Paris for 3 weeks in late October/early november.

https://www.guestapartment.com/rent-...monge-alyssum/

I am aware of the two street markets in the area but not familiar with any restaurants in the area. We prefer smaller non-tourist places for lunch and possibly a dinner or two. We plan to do most dinners in the apartment with food from markets etc.

Would love some recommendations for place to have lunch in the 5th and also in the 6th too as they are close. Additionally, if you have a favorite place for lunch anywhere in Paris - I would love that too. Exploring parts of the city is what we love so we are willing to travel for a good lunch and wine!!
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 01:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Le Buisson Ardent, tiny, with good modern French cooking

Le Pré Verre, creative cooking, bargain menu at lunch including wine
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did extensive research on restaurants in/near the fifth for the trip we took in September. Although the restaurant meals were eaten for dinner, the restaurants serve lunch. See my trip report, which is a bit wordy:

The Peabody Papers: Paris 2017
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are apparently 764 restaurants in the 5th arrondissement, so even if you are unable to find appropriate recommendations, I think you might come across some appealing places just walking around. It should also be noted that you are not incredibly far from Boulevard Saint Michel, which separates the 5th arrondissement from the 6th (663 restaurants). If you want to avoid non-tourist restaurants, you should probably not set foot in any restaurant that anybody here or on Trip Advisor or Rick Steves or any ot the other sites recommends.

This would clearly be ridiculous, since many of the restaurants are excellent. Nevertheless, I have been a Parisian for more than 40 years and I never ask anybody for recommendations. I use my instincts and just look at the posted menus, the ambience and whatever might be in the plates of people already dining. Nothing annoys me more than tracking down an address that I have been given and seeing that it is either more expensive than I was looking for or serves the same old classical French cuisine that I now try to avoid since I can make that stuff at home.

Nobody goes hungry in Paris, even without recommendations.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 03:32 PM

Notwithstanding the above warning, my two favorite restaurants in Paris are La Bastide d'Opio on rue Guisarde which is very reasonable, and La Bonne Excuse on rue de Verneuil which is a bit more expensive but worth it. La Bastide d'Opio is in the sixth but not terribly far from the fifth. La Bonne Excuse is in the seventh but very near the sixth. We usually stay in the fifth unless we're staying for a longer time and rent an apartment. One place we've found that is reasonable, friendly and has decent food (not gourmet) is Verse Toujours at 3 Avenue des Gobelins. The famous rue Mouffetard Market is a couple blocks away and there are a million restaurants there in all price ranges and quality ranges but they will all be crowded.

We're not foodies but we like to enjoy our meals and not pay a fortune for them. We'll have an occasional splurge which, for us, is La Bonne Excuse, but find if we just check the posted menus near where we are sightseeing that we will find a pleasant restaurant that serves something we like at a price we're willing to pay. There are so many restaurants in Paris and most of them serve very good food. Explore and find some favorites of your own!

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 05:48 PM

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a meal where others have enjoyed a meal and recommended it. And there is nothing wrong with walking into any restaurant and seeing what it's like. And if it happens to serve pre-frozen central commissary items microwaved hot and garnished with parsley, well, nothing wrong with that either.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 10:20 PM

To avoid dishes from the principal wholesaler ('Metro'), which are actually not bad at all, look for the words 'fait maison' on menus, either covering the entire menu or certain specific dishes. That means the dishes were entirely made on the premises.

Apparently, Metro has one dish almost completely locked up, though, because theirs is really excellent it is something too complicated / time consuming for most places to make themselves -- the "fondant au chocolat." About two years ago, Metro supplied this to something like 90% of the places in Paris. Then again, now it is declining in popularity because people ate too many of them when they first appeared on the scene. They are no longer a fad.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by denmal
We are staying in Guest Apartments - Alyssum Apartment. I have already ensured they have an official registration number - so we are all set there.
Here´s what is required in reference to apartment registration numbers:

toutes les locations touristiques, qu’il s’agisse de la résidence principale ou secondaire, devront disposer d’un numéro d’enregistrement à publier dans l’annonce.

If this apartment is registered with the city, the registration number must be clearly visible on its listing.

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
And if it happens to serve pre-frozen central commissary items microwaved hot and garnished with parsley, well, nothing wrong with that either.
I agree. Some people just cannot distinguish between food that is reheated in a microwave and that which is freshly prepared by a chef.

I might suggest in the 5th arrondissement:
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 04:21 AM

I second Bousson Ardent, Mavromatis, Petit Pontoise, Reminet and Les Papilles, and will add Delice de Aphrodite, Chez Rene, Coin de Gourmet (Chinese), Atelier Maitre Albert, Coupe Chou, Enjoy!!
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 05:03 AM

Extracted from my trip report:

Eaten at:

Le Buisson Ardent. We had eaten here twice before on previous visits. This time we had a very nice meal of the gastronomic bistro type. The aps of a novel pissaladiere with crevettes and a cold rare quasi de veaux stood out. All courses were excellent, such as the pork chop with apricot coulis. Menu changes depending on market availability. Highly recommended.

Au Moulin a Vent. As trad as you can get. Loved the ap of warm gessiers (preserved duck gizzards that were close to corned beef in texture and taste) over greens, the vegetarian terrine with crevettes, the main courses (veal normande and entrecote with green peppercorn sauce), the huge portion of marvelously garlicky potatoes risolees, and the selection of Beaujolais wines (had Chiroubles 2015). Gratin of figs for dessert. Fine friendly service. Crowded, francophone clientele, very highly recommended.

La Pie Noir. Bretonne. Tiny friendly place. Big stack of razor clams aps, cod mains, HUGE profiterole and baba au rhum with unlimited pours of rum. Very happy tummy. Recommended, of course.

La Bievre. Stuffed ourselves with couscous. Eating here was a lucky consequence of our first choice for North African dinner cancelling our Fork reservations just before we left for dinner. Super meal both in quality and quantity.

Le Remenet. No quibbles on the food. The presse of foie gras was superb. But, and a big but: Consigned to the Foreigner Basement Siberia, a long overheated cramped cellar with no decor and indifferent service. Without the 50% Fork discount, the prices would be out of bounds. Designed to extract too much from tourists, probably due to the widespread guide-booking with top rating. Leave this place to the obligate anglophones. Cannot criticize the food, all was excellent, and a nice wine list to boot.

Le Cosi. Corsican. Between the copious and very good aps and huge hunks of delicious veal and lamb shoulder, no room for dessert. Seemed full of locals. Also has a very wallet friendly lunch menu.

Les Trois Carafes. Small unassuming place next to the Jardin des Plantes. Modern bistro food, inventive, well imagined and presented. Aps croustillante de crevettes, a rose of marinated salmon with added side flavor elements over a crispy potato cracker, mains of duck breast and cod, similarly encircled and enhanced by further elements, two great desserts and a bottle of Tavel. Could not ask for more. Highest recommendation.

Double billing by le Petit Prince de Paris corrected by my credit card company. The DCC scam would have added 5% to the bill, and correcting it took an hour on the phone with the credit card company. The food there was quite good. Standouts were the 4 tapas of foie gras appetizer, the whole fish main and the made to order apple tart dessert.

The night before we flew out, too late to reserve due to packing bags, we just went around the corner to la Petite Perigourdine which always was packed. Food was average for France, meaning very good US: Duck leg confit and fish over zucchini plus a very nice dessert. Service was perfunctory but correct.

Each meal was accompanied by a nice wine, of course.

Restaurants from my list that we did not go to:

Reasons: Usually random, or not wanting something from their menu on a particular day, or a duplication of a style we already ate, or too far away and we were tired, or "complet" or closed that day.

La Table de Genevieve

L'Epoque

Le Gamin de Paris

Lilane

L'Atlas

Bon Vivant (wine bar plus restaurant)

Le Kitchen Ter(re)

La Ferrandaise (6th)

Rumeurs (wine bar)

Le Mechoui du Prince (6th) (cancelled our resi)

L'Ange 20 (in the 4th)

Josephine Chez Dumonet (6th) (telephone reservations only)

Oh, all restaurants except those noted are in the 5th.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 08:49 AM

One additional comment that I will make -- since I frankly know very few restaurants in Paris as friends can only drag me to one only about once every two or three months -- is that it is wrong to plan places to eat in terms of which arrondissement in which you are sleeping unless you are disabled. If you are staying in the 5th arrondissement, you can walk to places in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 13th arrondissements in less than 15 minutes, sometimes in less than 5 minutes. If you deign to take the metro, that would add another 5 or 6 arrondissements to the 15 minute range.

Really, just about all of Paris is ready to welcome you if you are willing to make a tiny effort.