Nafplio vs Rhodes

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nafplio vs Rhodes

Hi all,

I'll be going to Greece this May and am visiting several cities and islands (Athens, Thessaloniki, Meteora, Delphi, Santorini, Mykonos, Heraklion, etc.) and am now trying to decide where to spend the last 5 days. I can either spend it in Nafplio (with trips to Tiryns/Corinth/Mycenae/Epidaurus etc.) or to Rhodes town & Lindos. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Things I like are museums, old town centers, historical/archaeological sites, natural sites, etc. I don't mind tourists and touristy places. I'm not interested in nightlife or relaxation.

For those who have visited both, what were your experiences? Which do you recommend?
Additionally, for those who have visited Nafplio - out of the 4 sites listed above, which were your favorites and why?

Thank you!
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 06:13 AM

I have visited Rhodes but not Nafplio. In Rhodes we stayed in Hotel Attiki in Rhodes Town - an absolutely charming guesthouse within the old city walls. Rhodes Town is very interesting with many preserved restored medieval buildings and a couple of museums, but can be overrun by crowds from cruise ships during the day. Still - we enjoyed it very much. In Lindos we stayed in Villa Koki - which we also liked. Lindos is a nicely preserved white town, has two beautiful beaches and the Acropolis - all of which can be seen in a day - again they get large crowds from cruise ships on day trips. If you want somewhere to relax, I would recommend Rhodes but realistically all the major historical sites can be seen in a couple of days. In addition, we found restaurants and accommodation expensive, compared to other parts of Greece. I would return, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for in your trip, given your post.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 07:19 AM

If you are interested in more ancient Greek stuff (after Athens, Cape Sounion, Delphi, Delos, Knossos, Mallia, Phaistos........) go to Nafplio (with trips to Tiryns/Corinth/Mycenae/Epidaurus) and include the Middle Ages by visiting Mistras (Sparta) and Monemvasia too.

If you prefer a somewhat different place with a stunning (although rebuilt) medieval city, phantastic landscapes and fine sandy beaches (in May, the seawater between Rhodos and Lindos - another place with a small medieval city and a Greek temple - is warmer than any where in Greece) go to Rhodos. Pension Attiki (managed by a charming Italian couple) is a nice place inside the city walls and not too far away from the bus station.

Check which area fits better into your itinerary. The Herakllion - Rhodos ferry runs once weekly (there is a daily flight however), the Santorini - Rhodos ferry 3times weekly. The Heraklion - Santorini - Mykonos catamaran runs daily. There is neither a direct ferry nor a direct flight between Rhodos and Mykonos. There are direct flights from Thessaloniki to Rhodos.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 07:22 AM

Sad clown, we could advise better if you supplied some key details ... specifically, where will you BE, at the beginning of those final 5 days?? Makes a difference! RHODES is about the farthest-possible destination from Athens -- so you would have to fly there & back. NAFPLIO is about 2 - 2.5 hours from the edge of Athens, on Greece's most modern divided highway, either via reserved-seat modern intercity bus, or rental car. ALso, when you speak of museums and archeological sites etc, is your interest more in ancient Greek history, or the medieval/Crusader/Byzantine history? Does it bother you when things are "restored" inauthentically? I've been to both of your destinations, Rhodes for a few intensive days, and Nafplio many many times. Some observations:

RHODES -
• OLD TOWN Very interesting and authentic Medieval City walls you can walk on top of... 100? feet high, 30 feet across • MUSEUM - building is Crusader hospital, more interesting than contents • KNIGHTS STREET & GRANDMASTER CASTLE -- picturesque, heavily restored; in fact, castle burned to ground in 1800s & Mussolini's architect built a "replacement" from imagination. "MOUNT SMITH" - This actually is THE authentic Ancient site of Rhodes town --about 3/4 mile west of the walled city -- a few columns and a stadium LINDOS - Again, "ancient site" on high hill very picturesque but be aware, it is also heavily and imaginatively "restored" ... Many tall columns, but if u look closely, only the bases are in ancient, the rest are imagined by Mussolini's busy builders. REST of ISLAND - some ancient sites & good beaches, you need a car to explore.

NAFPLIO & "ARGOLID" -- Best overall website (click ALL links) - noncommercial, VERY informative & Pictorial http://www.visitnafplio.com
• AREA - in all greece, this has the MOST ancient landmarks & sites, close together, combined with a fertile valley of vineyards & orchards, and lovely beaches
• OPTIONS With 5 days,you could see most of the sites of interest even without a car .. Bus to Nafplio, local busses to sites. OR when IN Nafplio, rent a car for 2 days for area site.
• TOP OPTION: rent car @ airport - not a single stop on highway until after Corinth canal. WIth this option, you could stop just after canal for NEMEA (ancient Games site); next day explore Nafplio itself and Palamidi - on other days, Mycenae and/or Tiryns. En route back to Athens area - stop at EPIDAURUS, drive up coast, Stop at CORINTH CANAL.
• MY FAVES - Don't miss Epidaurus, mainly for theatre, and Nemea for stadium; Mycenae means more if you are well-read history buff; Tiryns is enjoyable, quick (right outside Nafplio), AND crowd-free. Ancient Corinth ... again, more rewarding if you are well-versed in history/archeology ... And I personally love overlooked ASINE, hellenic fortress ruin with sandy beach on one side (no sunbed or kiosks) and on other side, cute stony beach w ONE taverna, and NO crowds even in late may. That's my secret gem, to stop late in day, after a ruin-a-thon, to swim & stay for sunset dinner.