Andalusia trip - iternary help

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andalusia trip - iternary help

My husband and I are flying in and out of Madrid (cheapest nonstop flights). Here's what I'm planning so far and would love feedback - we've never been to Spain but love learning about culture, outoors/adventure, food, music and wine so think it will be fabulous!
  • Land Madrid early, lock up bags at train station and explore Madrid for the afternoon (not overly interested in museums or big cities so not going to spend much time here), train to Seville in the evening
  • 3 nights in Seville - April Fair will be going on, Sevilla FC game, Flamenco show, tapas/wine tour, typical sightseeing, GOT locations
  • 1 night in Ronda - Pick up rented car and drive to Ronda - stay at Parador and explore
  • Drive to Caminito del Rey for hike on way to Grenada (is this hike worth it or too crowded now?)
  • 3 nights in Grenada - Alhambra, olive oil tour, Sierra Nevada hike (insteasd of spending time on Caminto del Rey?)
  • All day to casually drive to Madrid - Stops and explore along the way. I heard Toledo is great. Any little cute towns we should go to along the way rather than usual tourist spots? We will sleep in Madrid and fly out next morning.
Thoughts? Anything outdoorsy/adventurous we would love to add to intinerary. Also, since we plan to drive I would love to hear about any places we should check out along the way. I realize trains and busses would be faster/easier but I'm drawn to the ideas of exploring and stopping when we like and having more flexible schedule. If you think that's naive though please let me know Any other areas you think I'd be killing myself for skipping even though we have such short time frame?

Last edited by seippsd; Feb 5th, 2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 07:10 PM
kja

Do you already have your flights? If not, consider flying open jaw into Madrid and out of Sevilla or vice versa – once you count the cost in time and money of backtracking, prices might not be that difference. If you do already have your tickets, consider putting all of your time in Madrid at the end.

For this trip, you couldn’t pay me enough to rent a car rather than taking the easy and comfortably public transportation available in Spain, but YMMV.

For your hiking, you might look into options in Las Alpujarras, perhaps the Poqueira Gorge.

Toledo is one of Spain’s gems. Many people visit it as a day trip; I was glad I gave it more than 2 full days.

Also, you might consider adding Cordoba for a day trip en route from Madrid to Sevilla or as it’s own stop – I thought it easily worth 2 days, but again, many give it just part of a day. Cordoba’s Mezquita is, IMO, one of the most stunning buildings anywhere in the world.

And BTW, it might work for you, but I would think 3 nights in Sevilla a bare minimum.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 03:11 AM

I wouldn’t say El Caminito del Rey is too crowded but I think it largely depends on when you go. you need to book your slot on their website which will probably give you an idea of when is likely to be busy. We loved it, but were in Andalusia for quite some time details and photos on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2017/05...del-rey-spain/ . Not sure whether it would figure highly on a shorter trip. I agree with Kja comments re Cordoba's Mesquita and would probably include that over Ronda. Also, Ronda’s Parador was not the best we have visited.

We rented a car the whole time we were in Spain and enjoyed the freedom it allowed, especially for hiking, but they are next to useless in cities like Sevilla and Granada (esp. Sevilla where parking is a nightmare). If you missed out Ronda, I would probably forego a car in favour of the train.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 05:03 AM

I agree with kja and crellston. I would choose Cordoba over Ronda. The Mezquita is amazing, and we loved Cordoba. Spent 2 nights there. We also spent 4 nights in Sevilla, which IMO is the bare minimum.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 06:14 AM

I like your itinerary.
If you feel like it, please come back and tell us about the hikes you did during your trip.
I echo what others have said about Córdoba. Since you only are transitioning through Madrid this time, consider swapping your time in favor of Córdoba.
I would never rent a car for your plans, as the train is fast and convenient. But to each their own.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! We have already booked flights in/out of Madrid since all other options to fly out of another airport would have required long layovers. I'll definitely consider Córdoba instead of Ronda. I like the idea of getting into more rural areas and seeing the white villages so that's why I leaned toward Ronda originally. If we do skip Ronda then we won't drive anymore. But since we only have 8 nights - is Córdoba too big to do it justice if we just stay there just 1 night? It would then be: 3 nights Seville, 1 Córdoba, 3 Grenada (and we can do hiking in Las Alpujarras rather than El Caminito del Rey), 1 Madrid (to be close to airport for flight out early next morning).

Or maybe fly into Madrid, train to Toledo since it's a quick trip and we will be tired - stay 1 night, 3 nights Sevilla, 1 Córdoba, 2 Grenada, 1 Madrid - seems rushed though

Last edited by seippsd; Feb 6th, 2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 07:52 AM

We will actually be in Seville about the same time you are during the feria week. We have driven many time to southern Spain because we live in France part time, so we are always "stuck" with a car. This time, however, we are taking Norwegian air to Madrid and picking up the car there, which is different for us. What we are doing is landing in Madrid, sleeping at the Ibis hotel at the airport (we are coming from Seattle so don't want to drive the first day since I never sleep on planes) and then will pick up the car the next day and we are going to detour to Toledo on the way out to Madrid down to Seville.

We are staying at the Eurostars Regina in Seville primarily because it has its own private attached parking (pay). It is also fairly well priced for hotels in Seville, which we find high by Spanish standards compared to other cities. We like its location because it isn't as noisy as the "tourist central" old town area and much easier to access by car. There is a very inexpensive city bus stop steps from the hotel-so we park the car and leave it. And the Regina has the advantage of being very close walking distance to our favorite tapas bar in all of Spain, Eslava: Bar de tapas en Sevilla | Espacio Eslava · Sevilla

Driving in Span is easy and enjoyable-but just be aware that at most of the white villages-you need to park below and walk up from a public lot-which is better because the streets are tiny and hard to drive through.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 08:25 AM

I would go straight to Cordoba (by train) the first day (skip Madrid) - afternoon, evening, morning there. Then (by train) to Seville for 3 nights. Then to Granada (bus or train) for 3 nights. Depending on what time your flight home is, I would either go to Madrid early the day before and spend the night in Madrid itself (thus giving you an afternoon/evening to explore) - or if your flight is early and you have more you want to do in Granada, then go from Granada late in the day to an airport hotel. I can recommend Axor Feria Hotel as a decent place to crash the night before a flight out of Madrid (they have a free shuttle to the airport).

The only thing you will really miss is Ronda. I did really enjoy Ronda, but it complicates your itinerary which you just barely have enough time for as it is. And some of the back streets of Cordoba are pretty similar to the smaller white towns.

Photos - Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Andalucia: Seville, Cordoba, Granada
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 05:11 PM
kja

Many people visit Cordoba as a day trip. I like isabel’s idea of going straight there after your arrival in Madrid.

Reserve your time at Granada’s Alhambra as soon as you can!

Even if you decide to visit Ronda, no need for a car, but as isabel noted, there are parts of Cordoba – and even Granada – that are reminiscent of the White Villages. And honestly, the white villages aren’t that rural….

Las Alpujarras has some actual rural white villages. I visited by bus from Granada; you would, I think, want at least one night there.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your guidance. I'm going to follow isabel's itinerary idea! I can't wait for my first trip to Spain
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 11:49 AM

Book trains at Renfe really early for nice discounted fares- but those are non-changeable and non-refundable In believe. Book trains to Toledo too as they often sell out posters here have said (buses always an alternative). For more on trains and doing own bookings online check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

I'd condier taking trains back from say Cordoba or Seville to Madrid too -it's a long all-day drive affording few stops.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 04:36 PM
kja

Originally Posted by seippsd
Thank you to all for your guidance. I'm going to follow isabel's itinerary idea! I can't wait for my first trip to Spain
Good choice!