Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)

Search

Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2017, 04:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi twk,

I'm glad I found it too - and without troubling you.

<< I've been in trial and haven't had time to check Fodors.>>

are you, perchance, what I believe is called in the US a "trial lawyer"?
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 05:49 PM
twk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not what is called a "trial lawyer"--we call them "ambulance chasers" behind their backs. Personal injury lawyers like to be called "trial lawyers" as I guess it makes them feel special, even though that is only one aspect of litigation (and, frankly, most trial lawyers who are successful spend little time actually in court because they make more money by settling).

I do mostly corporate and real estate litigation, with some probate and oil and gas mixed in. No criminal law, no family law (if I can help it) and no personal injury--basically, nothing that involves blood (criminal or PI) or getting shot (family law is more dangerous than criminal law, believe it or not). I was in "lovely" Odessa, Texas, for my trial last week.
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 05:48 AM

No criminal law, no family law (if I can help it) and no personal injury--basically, nothing that involves blood (criminal or PI) or getting shot (family law is more dangerous than criminal law, believe it or not). I was in "lovely" Odessa, Texas, for my trial last week.>>

Guess I've been lucky then - I've been doing family law for more than 30 years and the worst I've had was being threatened with having my glasses shoved into my face!
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 08:06 AM

Great report, twk! Having traveled to so many of the places you experienced, it was really enjoyable to read your account. Thanks for posting!
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 07:09 AM
twk
Original Poster

Now that we can add photos to posts, I thought I would include a few images that weren't in the link, above, or were modified a bit (filtered, cropped, etc.)

Here is a photo of the Staubachfalle taken from the Wengeneralpbahn as we come into Lauterbrunnen

The Eiger and Wetterhorn (with Grindewald, below) seen from Kleinescheidegg

Here is a view of the Jungfraujoch taken from Schynige Platte

The view from my hotel room at Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne

You can see the rest of these modified images, here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AHBMSOwTHfZyxMum1
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 03:24 PM

Great report, thanks. thinking of going to Switzerland for a few days this year so hoovering up all info...
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 11:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice photos! What a brilliant shot you got in Lucerne.

I've been planning a return trip since we got home, LOL.

Switzerland is fantastic, schnauzer, you must try to find a way to make it more than a few days.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 07:01 AM

Thanks for reviving your thread! Great photos and I appreciate all the details in your trip report. Definitely saving this one as fodder for future trips!
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 01:17 PM

Terrific photos, twk, thanks for posting them. The one of the Jungfraujoch brings back particularly fond memories, as we were lucky enough to enjoy a completely cloudless day, with wonderful views from it when we were up there and of it when we got down.

BTW, there is one thing that you said in your TR with which I would take issue which is that if you have mobility problems, you've no business going to the Berner Oberland. In fact it's a great place for those who have such difficulties, as with some planning of accommodation [for example in Wengen we stayed at the Hotel Victoria -Lauberhorn which is only 50 level yards from the station] and of transport, you can let the train take the strain of moving you up the mountain, and, if you're up to it, your legs bring you back down.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 02:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Ann, we stayed at the Alpenrose, which does require quite an uphill hike to get to station, but we noticed little hotel buggies transporting guests up and down the hill, so even not booking a hotel on the level part of Wengen would be fine. In fact, we were amongst the younger guests (and we're not young), there was a 90 year old annual visitor there, just enjoying the beauty and using the excellent transportation system to get him to the wonderful summits for a coffee and gentle wander.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 02:20 PM

Good point, Adelaidean, though you don't necessarily want to be dependent on the hotel buggy every time you go out for a drink or a meal. But the availability in particular of uphill transport, and the possibility of buying an inclusive pass as the OP [and we] did, make Switzerland an ideal destination for those whose mobility is restricted.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 03:30 AM

Fantastic trip report and photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
We have plans to drive the Grand Tour of Switzerland for 2 to 3 weeks starting late June. Our last trip to Switzerland dates back from the early 80's ...
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 07:42 AM
twk
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annhig
Terrific photos, twk, thanks for posting them. The one of the Jungfraujoch brings back particularly fond memories, as we were lucky enough to enjoy a completely cloudless day, with wonderful views from it when we were up there and of it when we got down.

BTW, there is one thing that you said in your TR with which I would take issue which is that if you have mobility problems, you've no business going to the Berner Oberland. In fact it's a great place for those who have such difficulties, as with some planning of accommodation [for example in Wengen we stayed at the Hotel Victoria -Lauberhorn which is only 50 level yards from the station] and of transport, you can let the train take the strain of moving you up the mountain, and, if you're up to it, your legs bring you back down.
Yes, I think you are right, that it can be done, it just takes a little planning and patience.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 02:26 PM

twk - we had to do it that way, or not at all, due to my DH's health problems. I quickly became an expert on conveniently placed hotels, swiss transport of all sorts especially boat trips which are a wonderful way of seeing places without having to walk too far, and we used our swiss passes to the full. So worth it though as our photos and memories testify.
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:00 PM

Wonderful trip report, twk, and the details are so helpful for the first time visitor. Thank you!