Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rocky Mountain N.P. & other Colorado sites in mid-April?

Old Jan 30th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every couple of years my husband goes to a conference that's always in Las Vegas in mid-April. I go along, and then we a rent car and head out to visit National Parks and other scenic sites within driving distance - we usually take an extra week to ten days to do this. We've been to all of the parks in Utah, some several times, to the Grand Canyon (three times) and other places in Arizona, again some several times (Sedona, Canyon de Chelly, Page, etc.). We love all of those places and the spectacular red rock scenery, but I thought that maybe this time we should visit somewhere we haven't been before. It occurred to me that maybe we might fly from LV to Denver and rent a car there to do some touring around, then fly back to Boston from Denver. We could possibly visit RMNP, Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge, and I'm sure there are other places I don't know about. However, I know that a good part of RMNP will be inaccesible because the road to the higher elevations will still be snowed in, so I wondered if there would be enough to see in the Park that time of year to make it worthwhile to visit. I'm also wondering about the other places I was considering - are we likely to be able to see much, or might they also be snowed in due to high elevations? We're looking at April 11 - the 19th or 20th (or so).

I'd appreciate any knowledgeable opinions on this, and if we were to go ahead with this plan, any other suggestions of things to do and see in that general area. Though I love to hike, anything more than an easy to moderate trail isn't in the cards this time, as I've been having some knee problems recently. If I can get assurance that it's worthwhile to go there that time of year I'll start doing research in earnest.

The only other time I've been to Colorado was twenty years ago, when we went to Mesa Verde and Durango, in a different part of the state, and that was in August. So it's hard for me to get a sense of what to expect in the Rockies in April. I want to make a decision soon so I can book our flights and hotels. I'd really appreciate some guidance on this - thanks for any help!

Last edited by Sara; Jan 30th, 2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 08:02 AM

April is pretty early to visit RMNP. We're heading there in mid-June this year since we want to do some major hiking. There would be some lower-elevation hikes you could do: The Best Easy Day Hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park
However, with your limited mobility I would hold off until you could enjoy all of the park, which means the drive across Trail Ridge Road and doing some of the more spectacular hikes.

Have you considered New Mexico? Santa Fe is a GREAT town to visit with amazing food and there's easy hiking in the surrounding area and lots to do in Santa Fe. A couple of my favorite hikes are the Tsankawi Loop Trail in Baldelier National Park: Discover the West: Tsankawi Loop Trail and Tent Rocks Trail just outside of Santa Fe: Discover the West: Canyon Trail in Tent Rocks National Monument

Good luck with your plans!
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 08:41 AM

RMNP: Mid-April will be somewhat muddy at lower elevations. You would be limited to lower elevation hikes by your knee problem and the snow pack, I doubt you'd want to strap on snowshoes and attempt anything that's snow covered and involves significant elevation change. For example, the trail around Bear Lake is very flat but will probably still be covered by several feet of snow. As long as you can make it up the slight uphill from the parking lot the walk is very doable but is only 0. 5 miles or so. There are definitely some other decent hikes in the lower elevations in RMNP and you'd get a good sense for the scenic beauty, but you wouldn't want to plan more than 2-3 days there. Even that's kind of pushing it before you run out of trails. I suppose if you're visiting other locations that would work.

Garden of the Gods: nowhere near as amazing as Utah, so don't base a Colorado Springs trip around that. Good for a half day to a day at most?

Royal Gorge: touristy but OK. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is similar but more scenic and amazing, but it's out of the way and you'd be limited to the viewpoints and some pretty short hikes near the rim. Not even sure what the conditions are in mid-April.

Have you visited Death Valley? Joshua Tree? Yosemite might even be an option although a lot of stuff will still be closed there - you could combine it with other (lower elevation) things in that general area.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 11:14 AM

A lot will depend on the type of winter we have. So far our snow has been light but March and April are the snowiest months so the probability of snow and maybe heavy snow in the central mountains in mid April is very good. The ski areas will be shutting down around mid-April. So the possibility of outdoor activities will be limited. It is just so difficult to forecast. I think you have to focus on the areas around Denver, Colorado Springs.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 04:12 PM

I agree with wave725 if you haven't already done the New Mexico area. In addition to the sites mentioned, you might like to visit Taos and/or Acoma pueblos. Or head farther south for White Sands NP and Carlsbad Caverns.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 04:23 PM

You’ll get amazing views of the Rockies from the top of Mt Evans but I don’t know if the road is going to be open.
Dinosaur Ridge and the Red Rocks Park & Amphitheater in Morrison is a short drive from Denver.
Roxborough State Park and South Valley Park in Littleton have intriguing rock formations.

Last edited by genxer711; Jan 31st, 2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 05:36 PM

The Flatirons and the Royal Arch trails are long hikes but worth it.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. It sounds like mid-April may be too early to see a lot of things in the Colorado Rockies (especially most of RMNP), but I hadn't considered New Mexico. We've never been there, so Santa Fe, Taos, and surrounding areas might be a good option; I'll start doing research on the area. I'm a big Georgia O'Keefe fan, so that's a draw.
No, we haven't been to Death Valley, and I'd love to visit there, but it seems like a couple of days there would be enough to see everything (and Scotty's Castle is closed until at least 2020 due to storm damage), and it's a pretty long drive from there to anything else we might want to see. We've been to Yosemite a couple of times, but I doubt we could get over Tioga Pass that time of year, anyway. Two of our sons and their families live in San Francisco, so it makes more sense to visit any of the California parks when we're visiting them, in any case.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 03:12 AM

If you decide on going to New Mexico, you can click my name and find some TRs from trips we've taken. The "Return to the beautiful... and the "Four Corners...
trips were both from Albuquerque.

If you like Native American history, do not miss Bandelier, Chaco canyon, Aztec ruin, Pecos ruin, as well as Taos and Acoma pueblo.

You can drive I-25 from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, but it is more fun to go on the Turquoise trail one way. Take a side trip up the back of Sandia peak for fantastic views of Albuquerque.

There are great museums in Santa Fe and exploring the city on foot is easy and fun.

There is lots to see in/near Albuquerque too.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 10:38 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you visited the National Parks in Nevada?

Nevada National Parks, State Parks and Other Scenic Places - American Southwest Nevada Guide

I've visted RMNP in March - here's my trip report if it helps:

Rocky Mountain High...king

You might want to consider the Western Slope of CO - it's too hot over there after about June for me, but I'd think April would be a great time to visit - think Colorado National Monument (we visited it in January last year):

https://www.nps.gov/colm/index.htm

Garden of the Gods is good year round and there's no shortage of things to do the the vicinity of Colorado Springs/Manitou/Woodland Park/Divide/Buena Vista - plenty of moderate hikes, former gold mining towns (Cripple Creek and Victor, beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Ouray (separated from Durango) by Red Mountain Pass, is known as the "Switzerland of America" and home to natural hot springs. Beautiful spot - we visit twice a year. Mountain Pass does occasionally close, but you can easily get to Telluride from Ouray too.

Loads of options, good luck with your planning.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 03:55 PM

Mount Evans will not be open in April.
I also recommend New Mexico. Too much scenery, history, culture to list!