Seattle Hotels

Old Jan 26th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle Hotels

We will be arriving in Seattle mid day and staying for only 2 nights in October, leaving early am for Amtrak to San Francisco. Where would you suggest staying in the city for first timers? We’d like to see some of the “must see” places, but mainly want to walk around and enjoy the city. Thank you for any guidance!
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 07:46 AM

What is your budget per night?
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 07:49 AM

I'd stay right in the middle of. downtown. Lots of options: The Inn at the Market, The Fairmont, the Mayflower Park, as examples. Hotels in Seattle are quite pricey, though you will avoid the most expensive months (July, August). If you have hotel points, this would be a good time to use them.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I’d like to stay at or below $300.00/night.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 06:39 AM

I was just looking over some old travel pictures, including Seattle. We stayed at Mayflower Park and, while I don't remember many details, was had a LARGE room with a Space Needle view, and we loved the bar overlooking the comings and goings on the street. Very good location.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 06:31 AM

I believe Fodors has a specific page for Seattle. Poke around the website. It will have the must sees. Then you can come back with specific questions or more detailed help.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 06:41 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Not knowing your dates it's hard to make rifle-shot recommendations, but for a Fri-Sun stay in the second week of October, the Mayflower Park is coming in at $188, which is a fab bargain. There's no better located hotel in town; it's a classy semi-boutique place steps from the light rail (airport) and monorail (Seattle Center.) A cab to the train station will run you around $10.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 07:31 AM

I stayed at the Vintage hotel (one of the Kimptons) in November. It was a great location for walking.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Mayflower Park
The Warwick
Alexis Hotel
Hotel 1000
Olive 8
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by JADSJBD
We will be arriving in Seattle mid day and staying for only 2 nights in October, leaving early am for Amtrak to San Francisco. Where would you suggest staying in the city for first timers? We’d like to see some of the “must see” places, but mainly want to walk around and enjoy the city. Thank you for any guidance!

If I'm a first-time visitor to Seattle, for just two nights... (in October, no less)... I think I'd want someone to suggest the Inn at the Market.

It is basically at central city (topography), yet situated adjacent to always-bustling Pike Place Market.

IF it's pouring rain, you could easily go half a block to undercover areas of the Market, and occupy much or all of a day just looking around at various shops, and dining when you feel like it ON whatever you feel like consuming.

Your room is nearby for storage or for naps... and if the weather is more ideal, you can easily walk to the central hubbub of the downtown retail core.

You've got to see the Market anyway, and its many conveniences suggest that to have it nearby to your accommodations would be an asset.

The train station entails a 1 1/2 block walk to 2nd avenue, and then a bus ride of perhaps a mile to 2nd and Jackson streets with multiple buses to choose from.
(and you generally do not want to stay at a location near to the train station, so forget that convenience)

IF you had more time, then I would contemplate other locations, but for two nights, and for your being first-time visitors, I think the Inn at the Market is ideal.

Look for this clip from Sleepless in Seattle, and decide for yourself whether the Inn at the Market is ideal for you:

Street scene from Sleepless in Seattle
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 10:39 AM

There's nothing wrong with the hotels near the train station. Silver Cloud Stadiums, Best Western Pioneer Square, and Marriott Courtyard on 2nd are all fine.

I think I'd want someone to suggest the Inn at the Market.

I didn't because when I looked it up the "best available rate" on their website is "from 425.00/night" in October and the request here is under $300.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 12:07 PM

I did suggest the Inn at the Market (post #3). Depending on your dates it may or may not be available et your price point.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. I’m checking out the hotels now, and am looking forward to seeing Seattle.

Northwestmale, what did you mean by “in October, no less”? Is that a bad time to go to Seattle? (Not that I can change it, just wondered).
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 07:29 PM

OMG - Suze... nobody said anything about "the hotels near the train station".

It's their locations that a tourist with any sense (excepting baseball fans during the season) should want nothing to do with.

You could put a Ritz-Carlton in Pioneer Square and it would still BE "in Pioneer Square"!

And JADSJBD, October can go either way, weather-wise, but as you can't know in advance just what weather will be in store for your two days, the time to optimize your location is when you are planning your trip.

With regard to somebody having cited $425 for October reservations at the Inn at the Market...

yeah, and reservations for February, 2019 are $425/435, while reservations there for three weeks from now are $265, both according to TripAdvisor

All you have to do is think a little bit.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

NorthwestMale, thanks for the clarification! It makes sense to me!
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 08:27 AM

NWM - Perhaps you haven't been in Pioneer Square recently? There is a brand new Embassy Suites opening basically in the parking lot between the Amtrak train station and C-Link Stadium/parking lot. It will have a 13 Coins Restaurant in the ground floor. Several other fancy new high-rise office buildings going up same location.

Why should "a tourist with any sense (excepting baseball fans during the season) should want nothing to do with" staying in Pioneer Square? That is a huge and inaccurate generalization. Can you at least provide a couple reasons for saying that?

I work in Pioneer Square. I'm sitting here right now. It's not like I don't know what I'm talking about first hand.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 09:27 AM

Suze, have you ever eaten at London Plane? The bread alone is worth a visit.
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 12:42 PM

No. But thanks for the comment! I'm glad to hear you liked it. It looks too hooty-snooty for me so have avoided going in.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I was in Seattle a couple of years ago and stayed at the Mayflower Park. It is a very nice old hotel and I walked to everything.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 10:28 AM

Mayflower Park is my all-time most favorite downtown hotel. It's family-owned, and the oldest continuously operating hotel in Seattle. It's a gem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -