Reload this Page >

Itinerary ideas near salzburg/salzkammergut in early April

Old Jan 27th, 2018, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

My husband and i are spending some time in Austria in early April and we are looking for some help with our itinerary.

On April 1, after spending some time in Vienna we will be travelling through the salzkammergut area and flying out of salzburg on April 4.

Our problem is that lots of the activities in Salkammergut area is closed and open in mid-late May. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what exciting activities there might be?

The ones we have seen are the Schafberg train ride, keltenblitz alpine luge rides, ice caves in both Obertraun and Werfen which all appear closed when we are there. We have booked a classical performance at the Mirabell palace on the evening of April 2 so unfortunately we cant venture too far out from the salzburg/Salkammergut area.

A little about us: we're a married couple in our early 30s with no kids and we enjoy unique experiences and eating.
Thank you so much in advance in taking the time to read and reply.
​​​​
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 01:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
In case you are not aware, both 1 April (Easter Sunday) and 2 April (Easter Monday) are holidays in Austria. Stores and many restaurants will be closed, though most attractions will be open.

Not certain if this counts as unique experiences...if you're into hiking and the weather is amenable, there are many scenic trails of varying degrees of difficulty within an easy day outing from Salzburg. Partnach Gorge and the mostly flat walk around Eibsee at the base of Zugspitze are two that we have done and enjoyed. Quite likely the Hütte will be open, too, for very local cuisine.

Good Luck.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 04:22 AM

Hi, note for fourfortravel --
The Salzkammergut is more than 100 miles from the Partnachklamm, the Eibsee, and the Zugspitze. Are you perhaps mixing up the sights of the two areas?

s
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 05:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
swandav, I see how my text is confusing! In my mind I had already abandoned Austria for Bavaria (and made a mental note to plan our escape, as well), based on the OP writing about previous experiences, and because the area will be close to a dead zone for the long Easter weekend. I meant to treat the Salzkammergut and the two hikes as separate options but let my writing get ahead of my grammar: stay in Salzburg (where there will likely be more places open) with day hikes OR consider basing somewhere in Germany. Thank you for bringing the confusion to light!
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 06:04 AM

Oh, ok! Klar!

oh, of course everything will be closed in Garmisch for Easter Sunday and Monday as well. However, yes the three activities you list will be running as normal.

s

Last edited by swandav2000; Jan 28th, 2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying fourfortravel and swandav200. Might need to research some hiking trails instead