France Itinerary Help

Search

France Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France Itinerary Help

We just decided to book a trip to France for our anniversary in March and I am in the beginning stages of research. Hoping for some direction as I'm a bit overwhelmed. We have 9 days total, but 7 full days without flight departure/arrival. We have never been to France, and while I'm sure we could spend the entire time in Paris, we both really enjoy seeing the countryside and experiencing smaller cities or villages. We have interest in beautiful landscapes and architecture, wine, food and culture. My husband is interested in Avignon as a home base for a few days. I was thinking about a stop in Burgundy, though it feels rushed, and I'm not sure March is even a good time to go wine tasting and/or visit vineyards? If not Burgundy - are their other suggestions for day trips around Avignon for wine/ vineyards, landscape, etc? Based on our interests are there other areas in Provence or even elsewhere that seems like a better fit than Avignon? Below is first very broad itinerary that I am hoping to narrow down and possibly completely revise

Day 1 - Arrive in Paris, take train to Avignon or elsewhere? Explore, have dinner.
Day 2 - Explore Avignon
Day 3 - Day trip from Avignon (rent a car?)
Day 4 - Day trip from Avignon
Day 5 - Train to Paris
Day 6 - Paris
Day 7 - Paris
Day 8 - Paris (potential day trip?)
Day 9 - Depart from Paris
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Have you read the sticky at the top of this page: DO NOT POST TRAVEL POSTS IN THE LOUNGE...?

Your post will be moved to the Europe Board.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Avignon has some nice architecture and you can certainly use it as a base to explore nearby sites but it could be a fair amount of driving.

Pont du Gard can be reached by car and in the other direction, you can reach the mountain villages of the Luberon.

But you might be doing all-day trips each day if you tried to visit Nike, Arles and the Luberon. If you don't mind a rushed itinerary.

You can take day trips out of Paris too if you stayed the whole time there. Either trains to the Loire and Champagne district or more nearby places like Versailles, Giverny.

If if you prefer to see the countryside and smaller villages than say spend several days going through the world-famous museums in Paris, then it may make sense to spend time away from Paris.

However, in March, I'm not sure how good the weather will be. The temperatures maY be bearable but you may not get sun. Certainly you won't see the brilliant colors of Provence during that time of the year.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you STCirq - I tried to edit and delete and I couldn't??? Love this forum but the user interface could use some updating!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 01:05 PM

Agreed, wendyanne

March, for me (I live in France), is the dreariest month of the year. You're unlikely to get that warm, fuzzy provençal feeling people hanker after in March, though with all the climate change surprises, you might.

Vineyards will be pretty bare, hardly pretty. A good local wine tasting might be a better idea, but not if you're driving.

Instead of courting disappointment in Provence, I would probably head somewhere where the expectation is already for chilly weather. Like Alsace-Lorraine. Plenty of wine there, plus good food and gorgeous architecture and pretty villages.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved from the Lounge, and merged with thread on the Europe board.

Last edited by Moderator3; Jan 25th, 2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 01:28 PM

Your itinerary is perfect. Forget Burgundy for several reasons. However, I would not stay in Avignon if you are also staying in Paris. That's too much "big city" with urban sprawl that you'll have to drive through (yes - get a car), and you stated that you wanted small villages. I normally would suggest a village in the Luberon - but not in March. St Remy would be a good choice - but it is a tad far from the Cote du Rhone wine area and you stated that you wished to do some wine stuff. Perhaps l'Isle sur la Sorgue would be better as a base. The "overwhelming" Sunday morning farmer's and antique market might not be so overwhelming in March.

My wife & I have vacationed for 22 weeks in Provence & I developed a 35 page itinerary that describes our favorite villages, scenic drives, sites, gorges, restaurants, etc. I've sent it to over 2,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail. Specify that you want the Provence itinerary - I have others.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Ok after reading through feedback and doing some additional research we are leaning towards staying in Paris the whole time with day trips, and saving Provence for another time when the weather will be in our favor. However, our flight lands at 6am the first day so if we catch a train anywhere and stay overnight, that would be the day to do it. In our experience if we don't have something specific planned on our first day upon arrival we wander around like zombies waiting for our room to be ready to take a nap and it's almost a waste of a day. Thoughts on places we can get to on a high speed train from Paris upon landing? What if we took a train to Rennes the first night and then did Mont St Michel the next day? I would LOVE to see Mont St. Michel but was shying away from it because a 10-12 hour tour from Paris sounded awful. Is there a better place to stay close by that the train could get us to, and we could take a bus or tour from there the next day? If we decided that was too much - any suggestions on what to do our first day upon arrival in Paris that doesn't require too much focus?!
Also - I was reading airbnb's are technically illegal in Paris. Any suggestions for hotel apartments? We are looking for more space than just a bedroom, ideally a separate sitting area, small kitchenette and a washer would be a bonus. Stu, I emailed you for your itinerary, and will go through that and at the very least save it for our next trip!

Last edited by wendyanne75; Jan 26th, 2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 08:39 AM

Yes, you could go to Rennes and then on to le Mont-St-Michel. There are direct TGVs from Roissy to Rennes a few times a day (for example, now showing an 8:48 am and a 9:19 am for mid-March, but that could change, so check). It's a 2.5-hour to 3-hour train ride, and then you take an SNCF bus to le MSM, which adds a little over another hour. Same thing in reverse, but you'd want to back to Paris proper, not the airport.

For legal apartments in Paris, look at aparthotels like Citadines. You might also find a regular apartment or AirBnb, but make sure it has an official registration no. assigned to it - the number will start with 17.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Mont-Saint-Michel is a possible day trip from Paris - TGVs to Rennes from Paris with connecting buses right to the Mount. Stay the night ifpossible as then when tourists have gone the place takes on a mystical atmosphere and see it also lit up from the mainland (where there are many hotels) - or just do day trip and return to Paris the same day.

Anyway book trains early for discounted fares- www.voyages-sncf.com but those trains are not changeable nor refundable so if going train to plane leave plenty of time for plane to be late, Immigration lines long, etc. www.seat61.com has loads of good tips on booking your own tickets online; general train info BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 08:51 AM

I think staying in Paris the first time you are in France is a good idea. One week in Paris passes very quickly. I also agree that if you are going somewhere outside of Paris, doing it upon your initial arrival is the best time. You could go to Tours and the Loire Valley for a couple of days or Rouen and explore Normandy. You can´t go wrong either way.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 09:00 AM

If you want to visit MSM, the Rennes thing is possible. You could take the 9:19 TGV that arrives in Rennes at 12:17 (30 min train change in Massy). Perhaps visit Rennes that first day (one of my "top 5" large cites in France). Rennes is different enough from Paris so that you won't feel like you are seeing the same stuff you'll seen in Paris. Next morning, check out of your hotel, have the hotel keep your bags, and find a organized tour or a bus to MSM. Visit, then return to Rennes, retrieve your bags, and take one of the many 1 1/2 hr TGVs to Paris.

You didn't specify a price range for an apt. Here is where we stay in Paris
https://www.parisperfect.com/apartme.../champagne.php

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 09:01 AM

DH and I travelled in March because the 17th was our anniversary and he loved to brag that he took me to Paris or Rome for a drink there (or Venice!). I agree with StCirq that you can get some somber weather, but it can be nice also. Anyhow, we loved Arles and it was an easy train trip from our Montpellier base. It's even closer to Avignon. Montpellier is neat also.

On a castle tour, we both agreed that Loire Valley looked like a really nice drive if you have the time.

Hope to read your trip report!
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 09:09 AM

Loire Valley in March can be typically wet and windy and dark and dreary - I'd head south.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 09:15 AM

The 8:48 TGV to Rennes would be better than the 9:19 if you really arrive at 6am & not 6:30 or later. Especially if you don't arrive at terminal 1 (United).

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Well we just changed our flights within the 24 hour period because there was a better option and we gained an extra day. So we do land at exactly 6am now on Tuesday March 6th, and depart Wednesday March 14th. We are thinking of itinerary below. Suggestions on day trips from Rennes by car or places to combine with MSM on that day?

Questions:
1) Should we purchase TGV ticket to Rennes ahead of time or can it wait until we get there in case our flight is late......I imagine this time of year they don't sell out?
2) Assuming it is just as easy and cost effective to rent a car in Rennes as it is Paris? Hubby is considering getting car from Paris airport and just driving to Rennes but I think that's way too much after the jet lag. Is it easy to get from airport to TGV to catch train to Rennes?
3) If we drive to Mont St Michel are there other towns or places nearby to combine that day with or is that enough to take up a day?

Tuesday - Land in Paris at 6am, 8:48 TGV to Rennes, explore Rennes, stay night in Rennes
Wednesday - Rent car, drive to Mont St. Michel, perhaps another stop, back to Rennes for evening
Thursday - Day trip from Rennes, Rennes evening
Friday - explore Rennes or day trip and train back to Paris
Saturday - Paris
Sunday - Paris
Monday - Paris, possible day trip
Tuesday - Paris
Wednesday - depart Paris
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't been to MSM in years, but from what I read, much nicer if you can overnight.

And yes, please don't drive right off a night flight.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 08:28 PM

Train vs drive to Rennes

Drive. Arrive CDG at 6am, retrieve bags, get to the rental office, pick up a car. Perhaps you'll hit the road at 8AM - maybe later. Rush hour. Drive to Rennes - 4 1/2 hrs. Cost is 60E in tolls & gas plus car rental fees. Allow for getting lost leaving CDG - add 1/2 hr. Arrive in Rennes at 1PM. Find parking & allow for getting lost in Rennes - add 1/2 hr. Check into hotel at 1:30.

Train. Retrieve bags and get to the TGV station to catch the 8:48 TGV to Rennes. Next TGV is at 9:19 Get first class tickets. Snooze on the train. Arrive at the train station in Rennes at 11:17. Take a taxi to the hotel. Arrive at hotel at 11:30. Explore Rennes. Next morning get a car or take a bus & get to MSM.

Lots & lots of places to visit in the region. All "A" stuff. St Malo, Dinan, Rance, Forte Latte, beautiful coast, lots of Chateaux. We've spent many weeks in that region - and are going back for 2 more weeks next year.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrive CDG at 6am, retrieve bags, get to the rental office, pick up a car. Perhaps you'll hit the road at 8AM - maybe later. Rush hour. Drive to Rennes - 4 1/2 hrs.
In addition: The OP has not said where they are coming from, but if it is the US they should not drive. Driving while jet lagged is dangerous, even if someone has done it successfully in the past, they have been lucky.

See: interactive_driving_safety_jet_lag_and_road_safety_8_3_2011-1_32_pm.pdf and look up micro sleeps.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 09:11 PM

>> but if it is the US they should not drive <<

Amen!!! Our max driving time on arrival day is 2 hrs. I remember too many "pull offs" to the side of the road to get a 30 min "rest" before continuing on. It was "torture".

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -