Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portugal for 3 weeks end of June - mainland and Azores?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2018, 01:09 PM
cri
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We are planning a 3 week vacation in Portugal starting end of June. We will be travelling with a 10yo boy.
Please advise if we should include the Azores Islands in this trip. We are going to rent a car, but consider to flight between Lisbon and Sao Miguel.

While in mainland Portugal we would like to visit Porto, Lisbon and surroundings and then head South to Algarve. For attractions I came across this website PORTUGAL FOR KIDS, also I’m thinking about whales&dolphins watching boat trips.

Any advice on seeing the best of Portugal in 10 days. Thank you!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 01:48 PM

You want to cover a lot of ground in 10 days ! But I will encourage you to visit the Azores, my very favorite destination, and at that time of year there will be a profusion of flowers, just spectacular. This time maybe you should just visit the mainland and save the Azores for a separate trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 06:10 AM
cri
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Bedar!
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 07:12 AM

Pls see my trip report below. With 3 weeks I would highly recommend you cover Sao Miguel. We did both in 14 days and it was wonderful. Azores is spectacular. Link to my trip report below. Our trip was quite fast paced but may give you some tips.
W/regards to Sao Miguel - We only had 4 days and the weather was rainy/cloudy for 2.5 out of the 4 days. Microclimate on the island. Keep a close eye on the weather and make sure you pick a sunny day to see Lago do Fogo as well as Sete Cidades. Both are unbelievable but high up in the mountains and so you wont see a thing unless the weather is good. Also make sure to visit Furnas and particularly Terra Nostra. The mud lake/thermal bath is nice but the surrounding gardens are the best I have ever experienced. The flora/fauna is out of this world.

Trip report (Lisbon, Doura valley, Marvao, Evora, Algarve)
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Hi,
3 weeks = 21 days?
3 weeks is not that much to see all that you planed. Açores islands are one best kept secrets of Portugal, unfortunately the word is spreading quite fast. Its an amazing natural wonder composed of 9 very different islands. If you like nature it'll be the highlight of all of your trip. There are several flights to São Miguel island from Lisbon.
I'll do it like these:
4 days for Porto, including a full day Douro River cruise and a day trip to Guimarães and Braga
5 days for Lisbon, including a day trip to Sintra and Cascais, Arrabida natural park amazing beaches and Óbidos
1 day for Évora when driving south to the Algarve
Fallow the cost to the Algarve, not the Highway
1 day Vila Nova de MIlfontes and explore the Costa Vicentina, the best Atlantic natural park of Europe
https://www.visitportugal.com/en/node/73805
4 days for Algarve, must sees include Lagos, Tavira, Sagres, Albufeira, including the drive back to Lisbon
4 to 5 days Açores:
https://gotoportugal.eu/en/sao-miguel-azores/
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 01:11 PM
cri
Original Poster

Thank you, mnag!
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 01:12 PM
cri
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, mbjl1976!